What do you like best about playing golf?

Scott F

I Putter Around
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
The thing I find I like the best is hitting my irons. I could never hit a 2 or 3 iron, but I‘m pretty good and straight with the rest of them. My favorite thing is hitting an iron into a green and seeing how close I can get to the pin. Chipping is ok. Putting, I don’t care about. To me, it’s an entirely different game. I’d just as soon pick up and head to the next hole. But irons, I can stand and hit irons even into a net all day. I love the way it feels when you hit it pure. You can tell just from the feel if you hit it well, even though you can’t see where it went. Best investment I made was the net so I can go out the back door and hit balls anytime I want. What part of the game is your favorite?

A fun day out with the boys or my dad and brother. Love seeing improvement anywhere in my game as well, gets the competitiveness going

Lately I'm really enjoying chipping/pitching. So many variations and so much room for creativity.

Enjoy the competition, being able to enjoy nature. Make new friends and play many different and challenging courses

What's not to like in golf? It has it all. The good, the bad, and the really ugly.

As for my favorite part of the game, it's my wedge game. They are the precision part of my game. That said, quite often I'm not as precise as I would like to be. .

I like how now matter how many times you play, no two rounds play the same. The score could be the same number for all the rounds you ever play but you'll never play any of those rounds from the same spots or the same shots. I love the unpredictability, along with the forever pursuit of getting better. I love every single facet of this game.

It's the whole package. More the qualities of the game than particular aspects of the play. It's a game for a lifetime and has enough challenges for that and then some. It's the scenery, the socializing, the character it promotes, the variety of courses, and holes.

Is "everything" an acceptable answer?

Seriously, the serenity, the companionship, camaraderie, competition, challenge, striving to overcome if struggling, successes, committment even amidst failure, lessons learned, anticipation, strategy, that... pure... execution... the satisfaction of pulling off the shot, pitch, chip, putt, the birdie, the eagle, the feeling of a crisped shot off ANY club, the sense of accomplishment, the agony of defeat, the RESOLVE to persevere. The excitement in knowing that golf awaits tomorrow. Maybe not every tomorrow but a forever favorite tomorrow of mine always preceded by, "Golf Eve."

I love it ALL.

I couldn't tell you one thing I like best about this game...there are a lot of things I like about golf, whether it is the walk, a well struck shot, the serenity, etc.

A well executed shot in any facet of the game for me. Although not often enough, I especially like it when I crush a drive. A good course strategy carried out. A good iron game is great. A good pitching/chipping game is great. A good putting game is great. It is all good.

I think it’s chasing the high. Succeeding with a plan is a rush of sorts. Wether that’s making a single great shot, a birdie, or a long drive down the middle. This is most likely caused by the fact that for me, there are so many bad shots. ;)

Swinging a club and not feeling like hiting anything... watching the ball fly away. That may happen once per round for me. It's what keeps me coming back.

The same thing I hate most about it, that you always feel like you're on the cusp of figuring it all out. The hate part is that after 27 years I haven't figured much out.

I love it when the game winks at you and pokes you in the ribs a bit.

The bad tee shot in the woods, the topped punch-out, the airmailed approach over the back and... the chip in for par. Wink.

The escape it provides. Breathing fresh air with the grass slightly wet with morning dew. Making fun of myself after duffing an approach. Watching my playing partner who I got into golf hit a great shot. Meeting new people, including my friends here. Watching Michael Thompson’s interview after a long overdue win. The endless pursuit of improvement. Memories of rounds and conversations with my dad.

To name a few.

The fact that it's you against the course, you can't blame anyone else if you play badly

Seeing my lad slowly improve

I like the challenge. Different every time you go to the course.

One of the best moments in any round is walking off the first tee and heading down the fairway with the whole round ahead of me. I have to keep myself from breaking into a trot, it makes me so happy to be out there. Sometimes it almost feels like the rest of my life was just wasted time and the place I'm supposed to be is right there.

That one shot a round that actually goes exactly as planned.

A well executed shot in any facet of the game for me. Although not often enough, I especially like it when I crush a drive. A good course strategy carried out. A good iron game is great. A good pitching/chipping game is great. A good putting game is great. It is all good.
This.

For non-shotmaking, it's the forgetting about the world for four hours. I'm a news junkie, and it gives me a much-needed break.

Just being outside and the challenge of hitting the perfect shot, whether its a driver, a FW wood, an iron, a wedge or a putt.

The walk, whether it’s sunny or raining. It’s the best part of the experience.

Thing I like best is the self-competition. It’s never about beating the people I’m playing with, but rather about just playing the course and competing against it and myself.

Back