What Do You Overthink?

My 19 degree hybrid at the moment. That thing just wants to go to the right all of a sudden. It's a G410, and I got it to replace my Great Big Bertha hybrid that I had a tendency to hook the snot out of, but this G410 is now the complete opposite.

I overthink golf balls. Some (maybe the majority) of the swings I put on them, it doesn’t matter what ball I play. That could be said for the clubs too, but I don’t wake up 2 hours before a round worrying about what club to take to the course like I often do with golf balls.

I don't sweat the clubs too much. I know that I can hit bad or good shots with any club. Touch/feel is always between my ears. I'm constantly fighting am I swinging too hard, am I going to leave this putt short?

the proper fw/hy setup. should it be a 3w and a 5w? maybe a 4w and a 7w? maybe a 5w at 4w length turned down to 4w loft, a distance 3h and an iron-replacement 4h? i don't know!

Hybrids and utilities for me. Even when I have a setup I like, the grass is always greener, and seem to alternate between the two every couple rounds. I need to just commit to hybrids in the 3 and 4 slots, and own them. But utilities are so much "fun" - love chasing that rewarding feeling striping a utility, for better and worse.

Driver I think. Is it too much spin? not enough spin? am I playing the right loft? the right shaft? Etc. Etc. Etc.
This ^^^^^^ Lately it has been issue for me and overthinking it. Just need to go with the setup I was fit for.

Top end of my bag.
I wasn't fit for my driver, woods, hybrid; so there is always that thought of if they are completely right for me or not. I think that's why I have been going (and continue to go) through many different shafts.

My putter I am just never super confident in that area of the bag. I have been through a few and have another on the way right now. The rest of the bag is solid.

Iron shafts...I know this because i am moving to Graphite and I am not settled on what i truly like and/or what is best for me yet. I really like the UST Recoils, currently have the 780SW in my Hogans, but i believe they are not perfect. R+Want to move to the 110's or something different

I overthink my iron shafts. They're much heavier than I used to play and I tend to blame them when I hit a bad iron shot. They're not easily swappable though, so it's tough for me to tell how much is the clubhead, the shaft, or (most likely) the player. I just need to get out of my own head and hit the d**n things!

Putter is the correct answer here....its always the putters fault

I agree with this. For me it is the putter. I was just hitting 3 different putters in my office trying to decide which one to use next time I play. That doesn't count the two that are in my car.

Organization of bag and contents - tees, balls, which rangefinder, towels, gloves ball marker. I typically play a round with one ball, why is there 3 dozen in there?

Definitely my irons. I replace mine every 7 years or so and this was the year. I failed to pull the trigger on a set for 2 months, and then was fortunate enough to be selected for the Ben Hogan/UST Mamiya experience. In all honesty, if not for being selected, I'd probably still be waffling back and forth on which one. In fact, I bet it would have been even worse because my list was down to the Hogan PTX Pros, JPX921 HM/HMP combo, and Srixon Z585/785 combo. The new ZX series would have thrown me even further into indecision :LOL:

Probably driver. Loft/launch/spin etc.

Although honestly so much of what I buy is just because I love new and shiny. The manufacturers love me.

Driver. No question. Clearly the driver. My brain knows I'm very new to this and being able to hit well, particularly the driver, takes time and practice--oh so much practice, to develop. But my heart says I should be able to hit long, straight drives. So, despite the fact my brain knows better, my heart wants me to keep searching for that magical driver, forcing my brain to question itself :ROFLMAO:

Second to that would be my woods, but, since I haven't spent nearly as much time with those as I have anything else in my bag, those are a far distant second to the driver in this respect.

Easy. Swing weight of all clubs.

Long Irons..gonna rebuild my 4, and 5 this Winter with Nippon Neo's..
Having nightmares about putting my 3 Iron back into the bag too.
My older son hits his 3 Iron 250-260 with height and its pissing me off...

I think a healthy amount about the make up of my bag.

If anything there are a lot of times that too many swing thoughts creep in and I’m all over the place...

E28C8486-7EF4-4166-9F77-840A95CF5218.gif

Golf shafts..

Point proven.. I have been down a two hour long rabbit hole as I recently got a HAZ smoke RDX black. I had to find out what Hexcel, hextow, and HM54 fiber were...Lots of interesting stuff there..

Everything else, I would say under thinking is a bigger problem than over..

Forgiveness.

I’ve let myself be told for years I need more forgiveness, when I play my best with more demanding setups.

I believe in forgiveness and all it does for the vast majority of golfers, but time and again I find it’s not as critical for me, specifically in irons and wedges.

If anything, i think it would be my wedges. I carry 4 of them (48-52-56-60). I tend to overthink what shot I want to hit, with which wedge.. Flops, normal, or lower trajectories.

I sometimes think if I had two fewer wedges, I'd be better off

Irons for me. Trying to figure out if I play GI or player irons better.

Face angles....for some reason it really bothers me to maybe set up with the face a little closed so that it’ll square up on impact.
Shafts too a little bit, always wonder if release points and stuff like that and not just speed take a factor.

Forgiveness.

I’ve let myself be told for years I need more forgiveness, when I play my best with more demanding setups.

I believe in forgiveness and all it does for the vast majority of golfers, but time and again I find it’s not as critical for me, specifically in irons and wedges.

Its is funny you say that. I played my absolute best golf ever with a set of Mizuno MP5 blade irons. I thought I should switch to something I thought would be more forgiving and have struggled a bit ever since. There are other factors involved but it is interesting that I went "more forgiving" and it went the other direction.

Its is funny you say that. I played my absolute best golf ever with a set of Mizuno MP5 blade irons. I thought I should switch to something I thought would be more forgiving and have struggled a bit ever since. There are other factors involved but it is interesting that I went "more forgiving" and it went the other direction.
Yup, I’ve done similar many times. We are all different, and I know for the majority that the most forgiving possible is the best for them, but some of us freaks don’t need that :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Back