What Do You Overthink?

My stupid putter and putter grip. I’ve settled on a golf pride tour SNSR 75cc and a PING Bruzer for the last 1.5 months and have seen some positive trends though.

For me, it's the Utility / Hybrid / 5 Wood slot. For the number of times I'm reaching for a club in that distance category, I spend a lot of time thinking about what's best for me there.

I started with a hybrid, but really didn't like the look of the club so my confidence suffered. Moved to a 5W and have been mostly happy with it. Then I started thinking about trying a utility, so tested an Adams out for a while, and now I have a Srixon Z U85 coming for next season.

Last edited:
For me, it's the Utility / Hybrid / 5 Wood slot. For the number of times I'm reaching for a club in that distance category, I spend a lot of time thinking about what's best for me there.

I started with a hybrid, but really didn't like the look of the club so my confidence suffered. Moved to a 5W and have been mostly happy with it. Then I started thinking about trying a utility, so tested an Adams out for a while, and now I have a Srixon U H85 coming for next season.
I'm with you on that part of the bag. I have quite a few options that are incredible in that slot and for some reason I love tinkering there.

I think a lot of it has to do with that loft being one of my best from a quality of contact standpoint. Chasing the 'perfect' strike is like crack.

I'm with you on that part of the bag. I have quite a few options that are incredible in that slot and for some reason I love tinkering there.

I think a lot of it has to do with that loft being one of my best from a quality of contact standpoint. Chasing the 'perfect' strike is like crack.
I'm really looking forward to trying the Srixon club, with all the work I did on my swing over this summer I think it could be a good fit. But I'm also nervous about pulling the 5W because it really performs well for me! And does it ever sound good! Really, what I'm hoping for is a little lower ball flight... so we'll see how that plays out... I'm okay having options that both work though!

I'm really looking forward to trying the Srixon club, with all the work I did on my swing over this summer I think it could be a good fit. But I'm also nervous about pulling the 5W because it really performs well for me! And does it ever sound good! Really, what I'm hoping for is a little lower ball flight... so we'll see how that plays out... I'm okay having options that both work though!
I have to think the utility is going to offer that kind of freedom..

...and I wouldn't sleep on the last couple Srixon UTs for a budget option. I've enjoyed the hell out of them.

Currently? Driver and its shaft. Haven't been able to settle for some time now, fixated and frustrated.

Less an equipment issue than it is a swing problem. Any consistency with my driver swing has abandoned me for most of the year.

Even with my long tried & true G400 Max, then through the G410 Plus and Epic Flash. The G410 LST is a bit more promising so far.

See? It's even confusing to read, I know.

Ball Markers/Divot Tools................they have to match your outfit right?

Honestly? Probably everything, if it comes to equipment.

Driver and the shaft driving it. I'm always on the lookout for the next 'it' driver for me, or the next shaft that I'll love, when in reality I have a pretty good setup as is and should probably just work on getting better with it.

Second is probably putter, which is more just about the fact I'm not a very good putter than anything else. I'm trying to settle on a shape (wide blade currently) and just work with that to limit myself a bit and hopefully make some progress practicing.

Honorable mention to my 3W. The club I use the absolute least out of my bag and I'm usually chasing something down, whether it's the right shaft pairing or tweaking the loft for some reason, usually perceived only by me.

I go through phases with the entire bag, but those are the places where the vast majority of my tinkering/pondering happen.

Most of my clubs... driver, fairways, irons. I want new. New won't help. So I get paralysis by analysis and do nothing.

At least it saves me money.:confused2:

Shafts, I always overthink and reshaft too often

Definitely my golf swing. I keep tweaking things to get the last bit of performance out of my swing. I know it will never be perfect, but I can't help trying to improve, however, the downside is all the swing thoughts can just confuse and lock up my brain at the tee

If you are looking at your bag in its entirety, clubs, shafts, balls, putter, bag itself, etc etc.

What is the one area you think you over think what is in there?
I over think my shafts in my woods. I have been slightly obsessed with trying to find the right fw wood shaft profile that matches my driver shaft profile. Saw something on TXG recently that has me questioning that practice.

Wedge shafts. I’ve messed around with lighter and softer wedge shafts. Sometimes I feel like they are great, others a liability.

I tend to over think my back swing. Always worried I'm not taking the club far enough back.

Fairway woods..... add a 3 hybrid and extra wedge get rid of FWs ..... constantly

I am OCD with equipment. I overthink all of it, all of the time. Should I adjust my loft on my 6 iron to obtain a little better gapping with my next club up? Does my driver need a different shaft? How about the grind on my 58 degree wedge?

Intellectually, I know that if I just have a set fairly well suited to my swing, the little differences are not going to matter to my score, but yet I obsess.

Putting. After playing over 60 years, by now I just view the line and slope from a couple sides, get behind the ball for a last look, step in, no practice putt and just hit it. I wish I knew this 50 years ago, but it sure helps my putting results just "no brainering" putting.

Driver and putter. Putter is the worse though. I way overthink what putter I should bag.

Low end of the bag. Play one length through PW, but was fit into VL wedges. I just don't like the gapping down there. Thinking maybe extending them.
Also tend to stick with something until I get a bug in my ear, likely from reading something here. Then suddenly my 3w is no longer good so let's switch that out. Yeah basically I only overthink something here and there and then research the hell out of it and make some spontaneous decision.

I probably overthink my driver way too much, particularly do I have the right shaft in it. Some days I just hit it straight and for my ability quite long and the next day it’s like WTF.

So it always gets me thinking is there an easier more forgiving shaft that would deliver clean and easy distance and tight dispersion with minimal effort.. Unfortunately all the shafts that I think would fit this profile are very expensive so I just ponder and daydream and second-guess myself all the time. Grrrr!

I don't really over think any one thing, but most everything as I have a busy mind and have always had one. So for me, focusing on not thinking so much is kind of challenging. I will quickly admit I play my best golf when playing target focused golf with a somewhat relaxed game - not sure relaxed is the correct word though.

That I’m not playing “more forgiving” clubs! But, mostly just swing thoughts.

Equipment, nothing. My overthinking happens on the course with regards to my game. My worst one is if I’m putting a good round together and I start to get ahead of myself.

Equipment, nothing. My overthinking happens on the course with regards to my game. My worst one is if I’m putting a good round together and I start to get ahead of myself.

Same. Me every time I put together a few good holes:

50-ways-star-wars-can-help-junior-doctors-survive-foundation-training-20-638.jpg

Back