What do you remember from your "career round?"

My low round is 68 and I've shot it 5 times. None seemed remarkable other than just playing well and making putts.

I consider my "career" effort as a single nine (the back nine) out of the 18 holes I played. After shooting a 47 on the front where nothing went right, I told my playing partner Big Fred that I was going to break 80. He laughed and said "you'll have to shoot a 32 then". And that's what I did.

The reason it was my career effort is that I had complete and total control of every aspect of my game during that 9 holes. I was in such a Zen state it seemed and I never had a doubt I was going to shoot that 32, even though it came down to sinking a 10' putt on the last hole. I've played well many times, but this was the only time I really felt like I OWNED the game of golf. It promptly left me of course by the time I played again several days later...

About 20 years ago, I shot 2 under twice. The first time was the most remarkable because I was out of my mind on the first 9. I started eagle, birdie, birdie and finished that nine with 1 eagle, 5 birdies, 1 par, and 2 bogeys for 5 under. The back was unremarkable as I got 0 birdies and 3 bogeys. I was trying to hold on and get under 70 and I blew it on the last hole - a 595 yard par 5 for a 70.

About 20 years ago, I shot 2 under twice. The first time was the most remarkable because I was out of my mind on the first 9. I started eagle, birdie, birdie and finished that nine with 1 eagle, 5 birdies, 1 par, and 2 bogeys for 5 under. The back was unremarkable as I got 0 birdies and 3 bogeys. I was trying to hold on and get under 70 and I blew it on the last hole - a 595 yard par 5 for a 70.
In high school, during a 9-hole practice round at our home course (Rio Pinar in Orlando), I shot a 43 with an eagle and 4 birdies (started out the same way with eagle-birdie-birdie). The capper was a crowd-pleasing 13 on the par-5 6th hole!

My best chance to shoot better than 68 was at Arrowhead CC in Glendale, AZ. I'm standing on 18 at -5; 18 is a short par-5 that plays like a long par-4 if you hit a good drive. I'm already thinking about the 66, confident that I'm going to birdie 18 (even though I know that this type of thinking can kill a good round). I go OB right on the drive, re-tee and put it in the water. From there, I hit over the lake and miss the green. Chip up and 2-putt for an 8 to shoot 70...

I didn’t even realize I was in the middle of a career round! I was in the 40’s on the front nine and followed it up with a -1 back nine (still my only nine under par). Played with my parents and uncle down in NC. It was just a relaxed and enjoyable vacation round. The only bad part is my uncle still beat me by one on the back...

That I never finished it.

It was twilight and I was trying to get as many holes in before it got dark. I was playing solo and fast but hitting really, really well. So much so that my last hole ended up being 17. I just couldn't see anymore. I was sitting at 74 strokes with my last hole being a short, straight par 4; easy hole. Unless I complete broke down I was looking at bogey at worst. I could have broken 80 for the first time. I've hit 81 once since then and a few 82's but haven't sniffed that kind of score. I always think about that day and in my mind I refer to it as the day I could have shot 78.

Hmmm....It was 1995, I was 17, it was maybe September, afternoon, still hot as hell in Georgia...I was playing with my high school teammates and the pro at the muni we practiced at. Started out as some friendly betting between myself and the pro and I shot 34/33 I think, could be wrong about the split. Total bomb and gouge show...I was prepping to play with the local university golf coach and though that didn't work out great, I will never forget that round on maybe my favorite course. I used to play there with my Dad once a week...worst golfer in the world, best conversation.

I loved the 36 holes that made up that course...the side we played that day plays 7,000 yards, 72.5/130...I went back about 2 years ago about a month after my Dad died and played the easier 18 that he and I used to play...I had not played that course in 12-13 years at that point. Good memories...

I miss being good enough to get within 8-12 shots of that.

My career round was a 9 hole round played on a weeknight. It is my career round because I hit 8 of 9 greens and shot -1 for the 9. 8 pars and 1 birdie. Bird was on the 9th hole.

Career for me is a 77 and what I remember most is the bogey I made on the par 3 6th hole. Playing to a sucker pin in the front right I put the first ball in the water but hit the 2nd ball (3rd shot) to 5 feet and made the putt for a bogey on may way out in 38.

I've shot 80 twice but the round that was memorable was getting an eagle on the par 5 18th to get me there. Two absolutely perfect shots to leave it five feet from the hole and a putt right in the heart to finish it out. I will remember that until I end up breaking 80 lol

It was in April of '95. I was probably a 7 or 8 handicap at the time. We were playing team points and I never seemed to cash in that format.
I eagled the par 4 8th and birdied the 9th to shoot 31(-5) on the front. A drizzle had started to fall and it was kind of cool out so everybody quit.
Damn, I don't know how many points I had but we would've won for sure that day! So we're sitting in the bar waiting out the rain and they bring up my score. It was one of those days when I knew I was playing well, but I didn't realize I was that far under par. After a half hour or so, 3 friends of mine join me while I try to complete my career round. I start off well enough with a couple pars, then chunk a wedge from the fairway. Next hole same thing another bogey. I'm driving it great but all of a sudden my iron game goes south. Get to the 17th and I'm +4 on the back and I know what I'm shooting and I'm thinking about my score. Not Good. I needed a good score on that hole because the 18th is so hard, bogey is a good score. So I slap a drive under a pine tree. My only bad drive of the day. My ball was just playable enough for me to take a punch swing at it and I luckily knocked it stiff for a birdie! Bogied the 18th and shot 70 for the first time. I went on to have my best year ever. Good times! I sure do miss playing at that club and that group of friends from my first club.

I've shot 74 twice and neither round was particularly memorable to be honest. The second time was fun because our head pro was in the group and seemed pretty impressed by it. It was a pretty typical round for me though, missed greens with a good short game to dig me out of the hole.

I do remember my best 9 hole round and the biggest thing that stands out is how good my iron game was. I gave myself some legit birdie opportunities and ended up shooting -1.

Mine is still to come. ;)

As great as the round was I still always get a flashback to the hole I lost my only ball on. Hosel rocket right into the woods. Strangely enough I don’t remember a lot of the good holes, perhaps I was one of those “zones” they speak of.

I eagled the last hole to shot a 76...I dont remember much more from that round...lol

It was some time ago, but the one thing I remember is I needed to birdie that last hole. I got on in regulation and had a fairly long putt uphill and hit it dead center for my 69. First and only time I broke 70.

I think the author of this thread had his career ending round yesterday! 🤣🤣

For me it is the fact that of my 7 birdies that day, except for one chip-in from just off the green and a 15 footer or so on the first hole, every other birdie putt was from within 6 feet if that. I've never hit irons that precisely that many times in a round before or since.

That I never finished it.

It was twilight and I was trying to get as many holes in before it got dark. I was playing solo and fast but hitting really, really well. So much so that my last hole ended up being 17. I just couldn't see anymore. I was sitting at 74 strokes with my last hole being a short, straight par 4; easy hole. Unless I complete broke down I was looking at bogey at worst. I could have broken 80 for the first time. I've hit 81 once since then and a few 82's but haven't sniffed that kind of score. I always think about that day and in my mind I refer to it as the day I could have shot 78.

I would have played in the dark.

It was the best score I ever shot...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My best 18 hole score is an 82. With borrowed clubs. With senior flex........by all rights I shouldn't have even sniffed 100.

The only thing I remember about my best round is the score, the course, and the playing partner. I couldn’t tell you a single other thing about it.

Did not make a putt over 20 feet. 17 of 18 FIRs, 14 GIRs, including many inside of 20 feet. 6 birdies, 1 bogey, the rest were pars.

Mine happened a couple of weeks ago in the first men’s club event of the year. I hadn’t touched the clubs in a couple of months so wasn’t expecting much going in, I was just happy to get out. We started on 10 and I hit the ball fairly well on the first 9 but made a couple of short game bogies and ended up shooting 1 over on that side.

Number 1 is a drivable par 4 and I hit it to about 15 feet and hammered a putt into the back of the hole. At that point everything felt really good, I was really calm and my tempo felt really good, I even told my playing partner that I felt like I was getting ready to go on a heater. I was right, over the next 8 holes I went birdie, par, birdie, birdie, birdie, birdie, birdie, par. Number 9 is a 165yd par 3 over water with ob on the other 3 sides. I knew exactly where I was at on the tee and being someone that likes to choke away really good rounds by doing something stupid that was one of the most nervous shots I’ve had in awhile. Luckily I was able to make a good swing hit it on the green and take my 2 putts and run.

All told it added up to a 36-28 64. I made a couple of putts but mainly I got a bunch of good numbers and was hitting it exactly where I was trying too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back