What do you view as Golf?

Same answer as most. Outside playing actual golf holes is golf, all the rest is something less than golf.

First of all, being old school, I'd never use the word "golf" as a verb.
"Golfing" is comparable to "tennising," not "bowling."

Having unburdened myself of that opinion, 9 holes of pitch and putt is my minimum requirement for having played golf.
Haven't done that for a while, but I used to enjoy it a lot.

If I were going outside to golf on a golf course, I'd call it golf.
If I were going to play mini putt, I'd call it mini putt.
If I were heading to the sim for an hour, I'd probably say I'm heading to the sim for an hour haha

I consider this to be golf.

hqD2O2wBU1dxcTLHPPvArCo8H2T4XQ9jWh1Mc94d258M_ly2p6ZVGANxwlCfjo7sBIq5jMy16aayzlkmZXcNSto8xftZ8QdhuWYo6nzeWKt9LX3MbcZRIM9LfpuNOAzgat-6V_GBNJs=s0-d

Golf is life.

If I'm on an outdoor course, whether 9 or 18 holes or a par 3, I'd consider that golf. Hitting at the range, Top Golf, simulator, putt-putt, etc. are golf activities and plenty of fun. But if I say I'm playing golf, I'm on an outdoor course playing tee to green.

Sim round to me is like TopGolf, entertainment. Sim practice can be useful but it’s just practice like range work.

18 or 9 hole rounds outdoors on a course is golfing. Practice is golf related and golfing adjacent but not going golfing

Anything that's aimed at club and ball I will consider golfing. Sometimes that's putt putt or the range and those are golf adjacent but I would still say I'm going to go golfing. I'll be specific though and say I'm going mini golfing or I'm going to go too the range or to go practice x,y or z. I even know some people who consider putt putt victories to be equal to big boy golf course victories.

As long as people don't say they golfed and were really playing frisbee, it's all good to me. Not a fan of the frisbee guys calling their game golf without saying "Frisbee golf"

As long as people don't say they golfed and were really playing frisbee, it's all good to me. Not a fan of the frisbee guys calling there game golf without saying "Frisbee golf"
There was a whole thread on that last year; the main issue was calling our game "ball golf" o_O

There was a whole thread on that last year; the main issue was calling our game "ball golf" o_O

Haha that's exactly what I was thinking about! "Ball golf".... Sheesh

Golf is played outside on a course. Anything else is not golf

Haha that's exactly what I was thinking about! "Ball golf".... Sheesh

Boy some of those frisbee golf dudes can be hardcore.....and annoying about it!

I'm an ultimate and freestyle guy from college in the 70s. I can still nail delay and spin a disc upside down and few other tricks though being 61, I can't do what I used to be able to do. Even as an avid fan of discs, you couldn't drag me out on a Frisbee golf course.

.....and yeah, expecting golf to be clarified as ball golf is hilarious.

For me, the word "golf" means the actual game as it's intended to be played on a course.

Like with other sports, there's various related activities and facets to the game. But if I have a catch with my son, I don't call it baseball. The cages aren't playing baseball. If there were a simulation baseball game, I wouldn't refer to it as playing baseball, etc. I mean, "simulation" is in the name, afterall.

There's lots of associated activities relating to golf, all cool, but there's only one that defines playing golf, IMO.

Yeah it's golf or it ain't. When I go to the course during the off season when the greens are closed I call that knocking the ball around, not golf.

If it involves real clubs it is golfing for me.

I'm a simple man who values word clarity. When I say I'm golfing I am playing a round of golf at a golf course. I would just call the other stuff what it is. I'm going to play putt-putt, I'm going to TopGolf, etc.

Back