What do your clubs mean to you?

Alez367

Formerly Carlos C.
Reaction score
Handicap
Most of us play this game for fun and enjoyment. Part of that enjoyment comes from the equipment we use whether it be new or used. Whether the clubs in your bag were given to you as hand me downs or as part of participation in a THP event here or you saved up enough to grab a certain club you’ve been wanting for a while, sometimes certain clubs carry more emotion or sentiment behind them than others. What do you clubs mean to you???

Something I can take pride in. They stay clean and look good. But also the enjoyment they give me.

My clubs have a lot of THP involvement, and certain ones have meaning from being gifts from my Wife. I take a lot of pride in my golf bag because of the memories and reasons I have most of it.

Some mean more than others. My 2014 MC clubs mean a lot that's why they will always be in my possesion

Battle scars - I love the "character" the clubs have developed and there are several gouges, chips and scrapes that bring back fun or not so fun rounds.

For the first time in a while, I think my current bag leaves me with zero emotional attachment to any of the club. Even my Apex hybrid which is a 2015 Grandaddy club. That emotional attachment has worn off because let's be honest, its been in the bag since the moment I received it, so I know I have gotten plenty out of it.

The culmination of a lot of blood, sweat and tears rolled into twisted steel and rolled carbon fiber that no matter what gets put in there each round, I look down at and am damn proud.

the only club currently in my bag that has any meaning for me is my driver because it has my thce16 shaft in it, and that was one of the most amazing weekends i've ever experienced.

my morgan cup clubs are on display in my office as a reminder of another unforgettable weekend.

When I got fit for my irons, I had internet inspired notions of what the right clubs for me would be. The process quickly directed me to the set I own. These were not on my radar when I walked in the door. In retrospect, I'm so glad they ended up being Ping. When I started playing golf as a kid with my K-Mart specials, I looked at Ping as this mythical high end brand that someday I would own. Turns out when I was 45, I made that a reality.

I don't have a lot of sediment for my clubs currently. All have been changed recently this year. However, the lone exception is my new putter. And it's a putter I still have yet to hit or play a round of golf with.

When I played in my first THP event The Odyssey Experience we were fitted for putters and played with a bunch of great THPers and some of the best from Callaway. I was not on the team that would get a garage Toulon putter, but after a great suggestion from my teammate MikeG about sending the putter out to get it customized personally, I did just that.

I have worked with the customizer for over the last month on colors and design. So, when I finally receive the putter, in the next week or so, I will get the pleasure of posting the pictures. Having great memories of not only the design process but also my first THP event. That putter will be in my bag for many years to come with a great deal of sentiment to me forever.

It's hard to say. I'm extremely proud of my clubs (and the rest of my setup) in the same way that I'm proud of my tool setup at work - I'll take care of you in the hopes that you'll return the favor. I get a sense of gratitude when I consider that I paid zero for my entire bag, and that fact makes me happy to rep the logo. I've never really been a sentimental type so I can't say my clubs have some sort of deep emotional hold on me.

For me they're just clubs. I like all of them, and I like new ones, but they're just clubs.

Putters though, those are special to me.

I really don't have much of an emotional attachment to any of the clubs I am currently playing. I do have a TaylorMade putter I won at the TaylorMade Ultimate testing event at Championsgate. I won in a contest @JB and Dave Cordero held. We had to beat their score on the par 9th hole of the par 3 course (I think I had to beat JB???). I think it is the only time I actually beat someone that much better then me. It was pretty dark so maybe my eyes were just better!! I think I will probably hold onto that putter for a long time!!

I don't know that I have any emotional attachment to them, but I do look at them with a small bit of satisfaction. I've always played with used, lower-tier clubs, mostly because I could never justify spending a lot of money on a hobby that I don't really engage in that much. Like mtbloco, though, when I look at that bag full of Ping clubs now, it's a reminder that I've reached a point in my life where spending that kind of money on a part-time hobby is both possible and justifiable.

So, to me, they mean I'm at a pretty good place in my life.

Clubs are tools to me. No emotional attachment at all.

Well for one ... they are Titleist clubs. I've always had Titleist clubs in my bag ever since I started playing competitive golf. High school years and beyond. Also, they are a set I received in a THP event ... The Ultimate Testing with Titleist. A very fun event that I think about every time I tee it up.

My Wife says I only care for 2 things. My golf clubs and what's for Dinner.

She jokes....I think!!

Nothing. Like Jman said, they are just clubs. New and shiny can be fun for a short while, but the luster eventually wears off. And you can't take them with you when you leave this earth...

Now the game of golf, that's something entirely different and means the world to me as it's been a big part in the relationship I have with my son.

For me they are reminders of my journey. Obviously I don’t have the clubs in my bag I started playing with back in 1998, but they represent how my game has evolved on the course, how It’s evolved through tinkering and how being a member of THP has allowed me experience some awesome events I otherwise never would have.

My putters from the Odyssey experience will always be with me. The rest of the bag I would switch out in a heartbeat.

To me, clubs are just clubs. I love the ones I have (well except for my driver, that one has finally pissed me off :act-up: ) and will love the ones I buy next.

My current setup brings me more great memories than any set I've ever had. I know eventually they will get worked out of the bag but they will always be special clubs. The putters will never go anywhere.

Please do not ask my wife this question. Lol. As evidenced by my signature, I have always been a big fan of a certain brand. As far as emotional attachment, I only have one club that I have that with. A T.P. Mills Softail putter that I had custom made to represent my loved ones.

About the same as my leafblower. I like it and it helps me get a job done, but it is totally replaceable if that stops being the case.

I have clubs that truly represent something special to me, such as my Morgan Cup clubs. I also deeply appreciate what goes into the development and manufacture of golf equipment, but I generally don’t have emotional attachment to any particular club, with the exception of the aforementioned Cobra equipment that reminds me of the Morgan Cup.

Back