What do your eyes focus on during your putting stroke?

What do your eyes focus on during your putting stroke?

• My eyes stay focused on the ball through impact

Votes: 51 64.6%
  • My eyes follow the putter head through impact

Votes: 8 10.1%
  • My eyes stay focused on something else

Votes: 13 16.5%
  • My focus changes during the swing

Votes: 7 8.9%

• Total voters
Interesting thread. Last couple of rounds I have been looking at the ball with my right eye is still and focusing on the ball. Sounds weird and probably looks even weirder. Head is slightly cocked I guess. Seems like I can see the line with my peripheral vision.

I watch my putter head thru the whole stroke. Ball doesn't move until you hit it. I pick my line. Set up my RST and rock my shoulders making sure I don't see the red dot thru the whole stroke. Seems to work well for me.

Working on keeping the head still until the ball is gone.

With my SeeMore I keep my eye on the whites to make sure I don't see red. Isn't that the purpose of them or am I suppose to just look at the ball.

I believe I was told by my instructor (Chris Carfangia) that you DON'T follow the red dot during the stroke; that it's only used in the setup. Could be wrong, though.

I watch my putter head thru the whole stroke. Ball doesn't move until you hit it. I pick my line. Set up my RST and rock my shoulders making sure I don't see the red dot thru the whole stroke. Seems to work well for me.

That's how I evolved into hitting putts. I wasn't really looking to keep the red dot hidden, I just never thought about were my eyes were actually looking during the stroke.

I used to follow the putter like you. Last year I switched to looking at a the front of the ball. Since this move I'm averaging a little over 90% on 4 footers. That's my best ever.

I think by looking at the front of the ball I see the line I want to start the ball rolling on. Regardless of what I do on the take back with the putter head my body will try to make the ball roll on that line (since I'm staring at it). I feel when I followed the putter head if I screwed up somehow on the way back my mind didn't tell my body to adjust.

Makes sense! I know I think I've missed more shorter putts under pressure, and I think it might be due to my eyes wandering around.

I'll have to try looking at the front of the ball (in my short time trying this I've only focused on the back of the ball where the putter makes contact.

The ball.

The next tee.

I've been going with the Stockton method for the past year (picking out a spot a few inches in front of your ball to roll the putt over) and have found that looking at the spot gives me the best chance of making putts. If I roll the ball over the spot and miss the putt then I either misread it or my speed was off. I do not look at the ball during the stroke.

Booom got this from SeeMore

Eyes on the ball always. Never ever leave the ball. I bet I'd miss it entirely if I followed the putter head through the stroke.

How about that! I actually do one thing better than Canadan! (Actually I do a lot of things better - they're just the wrong things haha!)

I'm working to fix this buddy! It's funny how it never occurred to me that I was doing this!

I thinks it's funny I have been putting for years by watching my putter instead of the ball. And now today I find out your suppose to actually look at the ball during the stroke. uuugghhhh Wonder how many putts I have missed because of that.
How about that! I actually do one thing better than Canadan! (Actually I do a lot of things better - they're just the wrong things haha!)

I'm working to fix this buddy! It's funny how it never occurred to me that I was doing this!

I thinks it's funny I have been putting for years by watching my putter instead of the ball. And now today I find out your suppose to actually look at the ball during the stroke. uuugghhhh Wonder how many putts I have missed because of that.
Read Dave Stockton Unconscious Putting. Immediately.

I've been going with the Stockton method for the past year (picking out a spot a few inches in front of your ball to roll the putt over) and have found that looking at the spot gives me the best chance of making putts. If I roll the ball over the spot and miss the putt then I either misread it or my speed was off. I do not look at the ball during the stroke.

This makes sense too. I imagine as long as your eyes are focused on a single spot and not moving around, it stands to reason that your body motion & swing geometry should be more stable. I think if I move my eyes I might be moving something else. Maybe not all the time, but I think this way (pick a spot & don't move your eyes) should be better.

Thanks for the input Wakit300!

Is my theory on putting or thought totally wrong and I need help right now with that book. Or is it going to tell me to keep what I am doing.

Watch an SPI video, Pat Obrien changes lives

Is my theory on putting or thought totally wrong and I need help right now with that book. Or is it going to tell me to keep what I am doing.
Absolutely will not tell you to keep doing what you're doing. Would you take full swings without looking at the ball?

Booom got this from SeeMore

Hey - I got it half right!

How is your putting coers? Now if we can keep our eyes still, I think good things will happen.

Maybe I can approach the Canadan-o-sphere level of putting!

I have been emailing with Ted at SeeMore and he has been telling me tips and a video to help explain it better. It's just crazy how something you think is right and one day someone says something and you look at it differently. Like a light just got turned on lol.
Watch an SPI video, Pat Obrien changes lives

Defiantly not man. And I hear what your saying now and am looking at some of Dave's thoughts.
Absolutely will not tell you to keep doing what you're doing. Would you take full swings without looking at the ball?

Yeah you did. haha thanks man!!!
Hey - I got it half right!

How is your putting coers? Now if we can keep our eyes still, I think good things will happen.

Maybe I can approach the Canadan-o-sphere level of putting!

Joe, have you done any SeeMore SPi training?

I'll open this up to anyone - Is there any overlap or common ground between Stockton's way & SPi?

I have been emailing with Ted at SeeMore and he has been telling me tips and a video to help explain it better. It's just crazy how something you think is right and one day someone says something and you look at it differently. Like a light just got turned on lol.
Ted and Pat made me a good putter. I swear by the SPI method

I would and have

That means alot coming from you Freddie. Meeting those guys last year and spending time with them defiantly has helped me to. Noticed less 3 putts last year and also better lag putts. Now hopefully with this new finding I found for my putting it'll get better now.
Ted and Pat made me a good putter. I swear by the SPI method

Back