What do your eyes focus on during your putting stroke?

What do your eyes focus on during your putting stroke?

• My eyes stay focused on the ball through impact

Votes: 51 64.6%
  • My eyes follow the putter head through impact

Votes: 8 10.1%
  • My eyes stay focused on something else

Votes: 13 16.5%
  • My focus changes during the swing

Votes: 7 8.9%

• Total voters

Grins

AMDG
Reaction score
Handicap
20ish
I almost am afraid to start this thread, because the idea screwed up my golf stroke for the last 2 days! I apologize in advance if reading this messes up your natural swing.

I was watching School of Golf (Finding the Fairway episode) when Martin Hall talked about “The Quiet Eye” & how most good golfers keep their eyes focused on one spot during the backswing and up until to impact. That got me wondering about what my eyes were focused on during my putting stroke. I went down to my Birdieball green & sure enough, my eyes followed my putter head back and then forward as I swung the club.

I figured “this must not be good” so I started practicing with my eyes staying focused on the back of the ball until impact. Of course, immediately I couldn’t make anything from 6 feet ( my current practice distance). After a few hours of hard work, I’m getting my touch back but it’s a slow process. It still doesn’t feel natural yet.

How about you? What do your eyes focus on during your putting stroke? Do you think it’s a good idea to stay locked into one spot during the backswing & downswing? Do you think it matters?

I keep my eyes on the ball to impact and stay on the spot until the ball has left. On shorter putts, I try to keep my head still until I hear the ball land in the cup.

I keep my eyes straight down on impact, and through impact. I only move them when I have completed my follow through.

Lately, I've been trying align the ball so that I can concentrate on the logo on the very front of the ball. I used to do it for the back but seem to be putting better on concentrating on the front half.

I line up so that if I drop a quarter from my eyes it should hit the ball. Then I do my best to keep my eyes focused on the ball through impact.

Eyes stay on ball or spot where ball was until entire stroke is completed through follow through

Last year I started to look at the apex of my line. Probably not conventional but last season I had my best year putting.

I look at the ball but I'm focused on the hole. (Work in progress )

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

have always looked at the ball, lock in and do not move my head, when my eyes follow putter i almost always push my putts to the right

I look at the ball but I'm focused on the hole. (Work in progress )

Yeah, maybe I should've added "focus on the hole" as a choice. I know I've practiced by just looking at the hole sometimes, but I've never played that way.

Eyes stay on ball or spot where ball was until entire stroke is completed through follow through

^THIS^ Unless the hot beverage cart girl is driving up...then I miss the putt.

I focus on a blade of grass directly behind the ball and try not to move my head until I hear the putt drop or until it is 10+ feet off the putter face.

My eyes stay focused on where the red dot is/was.

The results so far are what I expected - and why I'm changing to looking at the ball during the swing. It still doesn't feel natural yet, but I'm getting back close to 90% makes from 6 feet. It's a hard habit to break.

I take a look at my intended line and once I'm settled I look at the spot just in front of the ball of where I want it to start.

I keep my eyes on the ball during the stroke. I have noticed when I follow the putter I always push it right.

I keep my eyes on the ball. My head tends to sway if I follow the putter.

I keep my eyes on the ball. My head tends to sway if I follow the putter.

Yeah, I figured if I kept that old way, I wouldn't be able to be as consistent over time. I'm willing to take a step back temporarily if it means improving down the road & grooving a more consistent & reliable stroke that won't break down under pressure.

Lately, I've been trying align the ball so that I can concentrate on the logo on the very front of the ball. I used to do it for the back but seem to be putting better on concentrating on the front half.
Just like this! Thanks!

I don't look up to track the ball until my stroke is complete. Eyes stay focused on the spot the ball sits on, no need to follow my putter, I trust my stroke.

With my SeeMore I keep my eye on the whites to make sure I don't see red. Isn't that the purpose of them or am I suppose to just look at the ball.

Try to keep eyes on ball. Try to pick my line and line up putter first. Since that's the biggest problem with the rest of my game I'm sure it effects putting too.

I'm looking at a dimple on the back of the alignment aid, but I'm focusing and keeping my eyes zeroed in on the space the ball occupies through impact. After the ball leaves the putter face, I want to be looking at the after-image of the golf ball against the turf.

Once I'm making the final stroke, my eyes stay on the ball. Have to trust the line.

I used to follow the putter like you. Last year I switched to looking at a the front of the ball. Since this move I'm averaging a little over 90% on 4 footers. That's my best ever.

I think by looking at the front of the ball I see the line I want to start the ball rolling on. Regardless of what I do on the take back with the putter head my body will try to make the ball roll on that line (since I'm staring at it). I feel when I followed the putter head if I screwed up somehow on the way back my mind didn't tell my body to adjust.

Back