What Does the LPGA Need?

Let’s talk about something all of us Canadians up here know. Hockey. We have woman’s hockey up here. Is it exciting? Yes. Do I watch it? No.
And the reason that it’s not popular like the NHL is because as strong as the womans game is, it’s not at the level of the men who are the best in the world. People want to watch the best. I don’t watch the web.com tour, I rarely watch the champions tour and I don’t watch the LPGA. Why? Because like all other sports, I want to watch the best. I’m not trying to disrespect anyone (man or woman) or any sport. Every athlete in all these sports is much more talented and accomplished than I could ever be. I simply want to see the best. It’s the most exciting.
I personally don’t think much can be done to increase the popularity of the LPGA. People want to watch the best of the best and the PGA is where that’s at.
Hopefully I haven’t offended anyone but watching the most talented people in any sport has always been the most exciting for me.

Get them off just the Golf Channel and get them on regular channels more.

They aren't even on golf channel all the time live. Several tournaments air on tape delay.

I think they are going in the right direction, but a Tiger Woods-esque historically dominant player would definitely help. Serena Williams helped Women's tennis.

Having read through the thread, I am probably going to upset a few people based on some of the responses already in here, so apologies in advance

I completely agree with Alez when he says that it is ego and arrogance that stops people from watching the LPGA - there is nothing wrong with how they go about their business, it is the attitude of people towards womens golf that is the problem, and a reason why more women don't take up the game

Also, the talk about events being outside of the US and not having American dominance is laughable really, the world is a bigger place than just America and there are people out there better than Americans at sport (not just golf), but some people can't seem to accept that it seems
Personally I don't watch the PGA because of the times it is shown over here in the UK, I would much rather watch something that fits my schedule, whether that be male or female golf

If the Masters hadn't changed the schedule recently because of the weather, I would not have stayed up until the early hours of the morning to watch it, and wouldn't have been bothered to miss watching what happened over the last 9 holes, even though a European was in contention

Some people call womens golf boring because it is fairway, green, 2 putt par, but how many of you would like to be able to play that level of consistency? If that is considered boring golf, then I want to be able to play golf like that

As many of said, the LPGA needs some great US players, week in and out who are in top 5 and in the hunt. It just doesn’t get a good follow if the top ten are not from your native country.

Secondly, without sounding sexist, but I believe the 1940 dessert code edict that came down in the last 2 years also contributed to their stall In viewership. My wife said she enjoyed seeing the new crazy fashions the players were wearing. Sometimes they were very racy but the way they were worn was the way they were designed to be worn. They need to let the girls express themselves, within reason.

Having read through the thread, I am probably going to upset a few people based on some of the responses already in here, so apologies in advance

I completely agree with Alez when he says that it is ego and arrogance that stops people from watching the LPGA - there is nothing wrong with how they go about their business, it is the attitude of people towards womens golf that is the problem, and a reason why more women don't take up the game

Also, the talk about events being outside of the US and not having American dominance is laughable really, the world is a bigger place than just America and there are people out there better than Americans at sport (not just golf), but some people can't seem to accept that it seems
Personally I don't watch the PGA because of the times it is shown over here in the UK, I would much rather watch something that fits my schedule, whether that be male or female golf

If the Masters hadn't changed the schedule recently because of the weather, I would not have stayed up until the early hours of the morning to watch it, and wouldn't have been bothered to miss watching what happened over the last 9 holes, even though a European was in contention

Some people call womens golf boring because it is fairway, green, 2 putt par, but how many of you would like to be able to play that level of consistency? If that is considered boring golf, then I want to be able to play golf like that

The vast majority of American’s could care less about any women’s sport whether it be basketball or golf, evidenced by women earning less than 10% of what the men do. As far as sports that are popular in Europe like football/soccer, cycling, and cricket, most Americans have zero interest and have never watched those pro sports male or female. I coached my son’s soccer team for 4 years and my daughter’s for two and have never watched a televised or live pro men’s or women’s soccer game in my life. I live in a city that has NFL, NHL, NBA, and MLB. I’ve been to all 4 stadiums in the last 18 months to watch a game yet I’ll never attend a WNBA game or an MLS game(we also have an WNBA and MLS team and stadium in town). I just don’t have any interest and many American’s feel the same way. Men’s American Football, baseball, and basketball are the king here and it will always be that way.

Last edited:
I have watched a few LPGA broadcasts and I can tell you it is boring. The TV production shows a lot more of the slow play in womens golf then on the CBS/NBC broadcasts for the men. The announcers on the ladies side also try to empower rather than criticize like the men's can as times.

I will say the best idea is to have a mens/womens tournament. I believe they had one earlier this year but can you imagine a shared LPGA/PGA event (not team). There are two TPC courses in Phoenix....imagine having a full field event for both associations where each would play one round on Champions and one round on Stadium have a cut then do alternating tee times at Stadium over the weekend. Fans would still flock to the event for the 16th hole and it gets a lot more eyes on the women.

I think they are going in the right direction, but a Tiger Woods-esque historically dominant player would definitely help. Serena Williams helped Women's tennis.

Did she? I posted this earlier, but the Williams sisters started out that way, think early 2000s US Open win. However tennis in this country, including the women's side has been falling since, during their dominant stretch.

I think changing the schedule to say Weds-Saturday could help viewership but hurt attendance. I don’t know if that should be a factor.

Not sure an American at the top would make THAT big a difference. The Korda sisters are attractive and near the top now. Don’t think it’s moved the needle. It could take total dominance to spike interest.

Personally, I prefer watching them on tougher layouts or not ideal conditions. They are so consistent that watching them birdiefest their way through courses sometimes loses appeal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've thought long and hard about this. I don't think sexing it up is the answer, because I think it undermines the dignity of the women (If some golfers wanted to sex it up, then I don't have an issue with it) and turns the LPGA into a sideshow. I think a dominant (power, personality, etc) American would help a little (Think Michelle Wie, but with a ton of wins). But in the end, they need more female golfers who will want to watch. Men don't watch female sports. Females don't watch either. The Women's USA Soccer team is the only thing I can think of. Maybe tennis. I will watch Serena and generally find women's tennis more entertaining than men's because the points are longer. Honestly, I only watch PGA golf for a handful of players because, in general, golfers are boring, corporate, robots, devoid of public personality.

The vast majority of American’s could care less about any women’s sport whether it be basketball or golf, evidenced by women earning less than 10% of what the men do. As far as sports that are popular in Europe like football/soccer, cycling, and cricket, most Americans have zero interest and have never watched those pro sports male or female. I coached my son’s soccer team for 4 years and my daughter’s for two and have never watched a televised or live pro men’s or women’s soccer game in my life. I live in a city that has NFL, NHL, NBA, and MLB. I’ve been to all 4 stadiums in the last 18 months to watch a game yet I’ll never attend a WNBA game or an MLS game(we also have an WNBA and MLS team and stadium in town). I just don’t have any interest and many American’s feel the same way. Men’s American Football, baseball, and basketball are the king here and it will always be that way.

And, sadly, this is it in a nutshell.

I admit to being old and I think the LPGA and even the PGA (when Tiger isn't playing) have the same problem, who are these people? Back in the "old days" TV coverage was limited to holes 15-18 and you got to see a good percentage of the field come through and you got to witness many shots by an assortment of players and got to know who the players were and even get to the point of recognizing them by their swing. Now we basically have 18 holes coverage but its primarily only the leaders, contenders or someone who has a fantastic shot that are shown. If on the women's side I am a fan of, say, Brittany Lang, unless she is contending or hits an unbelievable shot I'll never see her televised. TV coverage has to change so that people can at least occasionally get to see their favorites, contending or otherwise, and the LPGA needs to do a better job of marketing/promoting the individuals so we get to know them better making them easier to follow and watch and there is not just some unrecognized, unfamiliar international player being shown.

Let’s talk about something all of us Canadians up here know. Hockey. We have woman’s hockey up here. Is it exciting? Yes. Do I watch it? No.
And the reason that it’s not popular like the NHL is because as strong as the womans game is, it’s not at the level of the men who are the best in the world. People want to watch the best. I don’t watch the web.com tour, I rarely watch the champions tour and I don’t watch the LPGA. Why? Because like all other sports, I want to watch the best. I’m not trying to disrespect anyone (man or woman) or any sport. Every athlete in all these sports is much more talented and accomplished than I could ever be. I simply want to see the best. It’s the most exciting.
I personally don’t think much can be done to increase the popularity of the LPGA. People want to watch the best of the best and the PGA is where that’s at.
Hopefully I haven’t offended anyone but watching the most talented people in any sport has always been the most exciting for me.

and now the professional woman's league is ending after this season. It's a major issue across all female sports.

I do think a dominate US woman would help. Here in Canada I think Brooke has helped increase popularity some. TSN showed highlights of her win last week and talked about her record. When Brooke doesn't play, there's zero highlights. I'm not saying it's the only answer or the answer to fix all problems, but it may result in a short term boost.

So because someone doesn't agree with you and like it, they are the problem or arrogant or are letting their ego control their decisions. Sounds very European, and why the founders of America left in the first place.

And you are assuming that I (or others) don't want to watch non-American sports because of the players nationalities. I enjoy watching Rory, Day, and many others play here because they are great. Same thing goes for baseball in America. Most of their dominating players are not from America.

And, sadly, this is it in a nutshell.

Why is it sad? People like what they like and that's okay. What's really sad is when people try to impose their beliefs.

Well, at least it took a while for this thread to turn.

So because someone doesn't agree with you and like it, they are the problem or arrogant or are letting their ego control their decisions. Sounds very European, and why the founders of America left in the first place.

And you are assuming that I (or others) don't want to watch non-American sports because of the players nationalities. I enjoy watching Rory, Day, and many others play here because they are great. Same thing goes for baseball in America. Most of their dominating players are not from America.

Why is it sad? People like what they like and that's okay. What's really sad is when people try to impose their beliefs.
I think its fine to not like it. The issue is not liking it because you believe that women are inferior and have no place in sports. That's where the issue is.

If you say that you don't enjoy the pace of play, or less than spectacular shots, hell maybe even its as simple as you don't find the venues appealing. That's fine. Its the demeaning of a whole sporting organization of a different gender, solely because they are a different gender that is the arrogance spoken of.

You just looked too far into it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I think its fine to not like it. The issue is not liking it because you believe that women are inferior and have no place in sports. That's where the issue is.

If you say that you don't enjoy the pace of play, or less than spectacular shots, hell maybe even its as simple as you don't find the venues appealing. That's fine. Its the demeaning of a whole sporting organization of a different gender, solely because they are a different gender that is the arrogance spoken of.

Given the history of the other posters, that's not the case.

Given the history of the other posters, that's not the case.
Well I apologize for not knowing or researching others posts from the past. In MY opinion, thats the level of arrogance, or aura of inferiority, I see directed at the LPGA.

It’s perfectly understandable and ok why women athletes in sports such as basketball and golf don’t command as much viewership and as such earn fractions of what the men do. What is not ok is that there are only two or three female CEO’s in the Fortune 100 companies and the C-suite positions in those companies are only 11% female. Women make up over 40% of the workforce in this country and are vastly underrepresented at the top. Unlike sports, there is no good reason that they hold less than 10% of the top level jobs. My wife is one of the few females who has made it to that male dominated top executive level and the chauvinism and good old boy network that still exists in 2019 would shock most Americans. Women often have to be twice as good as their male peers in the executive world and then have some luck just to be given a chance to succeed at the top jobs.

Last edited:
People always bring up the argument that LPGA is a lot closer to the everyday golfer's game and as such it should make it more relatable. Is there then a way to make the broadcast more interesting by bringing up more stats, club selection, course strategy, etc. viewpoints so the average Joe would feel (s)he is learning something. The other thing is the format, why not experiment way more with formats other than 72 holes stroke play, especially things that would be interesting from a betting point of view.

Now LPGA is largely pushing a product that in the format is very close to PGA tour and 95% of the time we want to watch the performers who do things we cannot imagine doing ourselves. Some parallels can be drawn to the European Tour where they are now experimenting with different things to gain some traction, not all of it is a home run but if you don't try you will not win.

......I hate to say this but I do watch the LPGA when its on.....but this is what keeps me from watching it more. To me its less exciting for me.

And that is in no way a racist comment....because those Asian girls can flat out play. Its just less interesting to me...

It's like the European Tour for me. Sure, we can watch Rory, Gmac, Poulter, etc., because they come play over here a lot. But when you turn on Golf Channel on a Sunday Morning, and then you realize you don't recognize any of the names in the top 30, its hard to engage with that. Same thing with Web.com tour. I bet Web.com tour's ratings are up when they throw some celebrity in the field.

No, the fact is, without an American somewhere on the leaderboard, its hard to be engaged and involved with an LPGA tournament. Its just a matter of 'rooting' for the home team.

I think we need a dominant, charismatic, relatively attractive American. Someone who does interviews all over mass media, and brings in casual fans.

Lexi?

Let me pose this question as I posed it to my friend.
Let's say there was a female golfer that hit it a LONG way. I mean Bubba Watson/DJ kind of action off the tee. Maybe they win a couple of times, but not dominant.
Do you think that changes things and makes more tune in? I kind of think it does. People like the long ball.

I think there is a lot of truth to the International Golf being an easy target, but when Creamer and others were doing well, people were not jumping in in a huge way. I think some could make the case that the golf is a bit boring. Shorter courses than they normally play (sad but true), slow as can be on the greens and near robotic. Fairway, green, two putt par.

Lexi?

a dominant, attractive american woman who has some star presence.

Lexi again?

Yep. When Brooke is in the hunt it's just as talked about around my Proshop/course as the PGA is.

All Brooke, all the time!

Brooke is fun to watch. She seems to generate a lot of torque in her swing, and she's pretty short isn't she?

For all of those saying "sex appeal," c'mon. Really? When was the last time you tuned into the lingerie football league? I think I turned it on once, watched it for maybe 3 minutes. Thought it was novel, and then moved on.

~Rock

For all of those saying "sex appeal," c'mon. Really? When was the last time you tuned into the lingerie football league? I think I turned it on once, watched it for maybe 3 minutes. Thought it was novel, and then moved on.

~Rock
funny thing about the LFL (now Legends Football League as they've moved past Lingerie), when they had a team here there were more women into it than men

I think the LPGA has everything in place to be big IF women's sports were not on the fringe.
I've been to the local LPGA tournament and it was a blast!!
The lack of a dominant player made the field very competitive so there was a buzz during the whole round. The play was great and the crowd was fairly large!

People always bring up the argument that LPGA is a lot closer to the everyday golfer's game and as such it should make it more relatable. Is there then a way to make the broadcast more interesting by bringing up more stats, club selection, course strategy, etc. viewpoints so the average Joe would feel (s)he is learning something. The other thing is the format, why not experiment way more with formats other than 72 holes stroke play, especially things that would be interesting from a betting point of view.

Now LPGA is largely pushing a product that in the format is very close to PGA tour and 95% of the time we want to watch the performers who do things we cannot imagine doing ourselves. Some parallels can be drawn to the European Tour where they are now experimenting with different things to gain some traction, not all of it is a home run but if you don't try you will not win.

This is a very strong thought and one I agree with.
Talk about equipment. Embrace it.
Instead they are trying to force the hand of being the same, but different.

This is a very interesting topic. I do watch LPGA a bit, but never watched most of a round at once. LPGA has never "grabbed" me so to speak to where it becomes a must watch. In thinking about it I tend to watch it when PGA golf is not on. As others have said the lack of star power and not really knowing most of the names on the leader board certainly doesn't help create interest. My GF loves golf, and has said many times she enjoys watching the men much more. She finds watching the LPGA boring and has a hard time connecting with any of the players.

Back