What Draws You To Wedges?

The first thing that draws me to wedges is other good wedge players. I pay attention to their set make up and specs.
A lot of the best play larger gaps: 48/54/60 and their specs accommodate this and their short game philosophy is similar to mine. So, the bounce and sole profiles favor more partial shots more full shots.

Then I look at shape and leading edge. If that passes, it’s all about feeling distance.

My first lob wedge was a Cleveland back in the late 80's. Then I was playing AVokeys, till I hit a Cleveland RTX Zipcore, Amazing, a sweet spot not precipitounly close to the shank zone.... Played RTX Zipcores till I hit a CBX Zipcore. I don't know how anyone will ever improve upon the CBX Zipcore, other than raise the COG a bit.

Looks, prefer dark or Raw. Then shape and grind. Lastly, Have to be able to hit the 54* 85-90 yards on a full swing and flight it.
All time favorite wedge for me was the Callaway X Forged, I think the first ones with Roger Cleveland on board.
I had a 54/58 C grind combo with flight Rifle 5.5's in them. Spin monsters and ball eaters....

We just recorded a WGP that will drop next week and this is more equipment focused as we talk about some new gear and some others including a business side of it.

Obviously this will make more sense post show, but my question is what draws you to wedges? Brand, tech, looks, etc? I don’t mean why do you buy them, I mean what draws you in to want to test them or buy them?
More than anything else, it's the brand, which usually matches the rest if my irons.

My chosen brand has never failed to give me quality, and playability. A comfort type thing.

Feel/looks is my first thought on wedges. I will read any reviews put out and then give them a try to see how i like them.

Looks, versatility, and forgiveness. It is really easy to hit a bad shot with wedges, and I'm learning more and more each time how the wedge, grind, and tech affect performance

Man I can't wait for a proper fitting

looks first

bounce/grind options second

First is the look and shspe, then would be the tech and versatility. I also want them to be more forgiving, especially toe side.

Shape. Features. Looks. Probably in that order. Definitely not brand. Think I've played most of the major companies wedges at some point in the last few years. I just go with what I think is best at the time.

I bought a Cleveland CBX2 50° at one of their demo days, and it is my favorite club. My sand wedge is a Maltby 56°. When it’s time for me to replace my wedges I’ll most likely stick with one of these two brands.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Look at address
Grinds
Milling
Groove Tech
Spin retention in the wet

I've got an early 80's Hogan Shur Out that was money out of bunkers for years, till I wore the grooves off the darn thing. High bounce, big wide sole, it was perfect for the fluffy bunkers at my home course. Haven't seen anything near like it in the more modern wedges, but the sand I play now is much firmer anyhow........

Last edited:
Probably brand, looks (must inspire confidence), tech and then versatility.

We just recorded a WGP that will drop next week and this is more equipment focused as we talk about some new gear and some others including a business side of it.

Obviously this will make more sense post show, but my question is what draws you to wedges? Brand, tech, looks, etc? I don’t mean why do you buy them, I mean what draws you in to want to test them or buy them?
Looks really get me, tech is important, though for me less so on the higher lofted wedges. About the spot that I struggle with is the Gap wedge spot. Sometimes, I want that to be the set, sometimes a custom club. It definitely depends on the bounce, look, and feel of the club

Slightly rounded bottom edge, the look at address and feel when swinging. I don't care a for flat bottom on my wedges.

the feel is the first thing that I must have. makes it a tough buy when I like the feel I have sooo wondering why I need new ones.

I like a compact head that is visually small on the top line and not high on the toe.

Also, with the exception of my 58 degree, I like a wedge that sets up neutral, doesn't lay flat.

Looks. Blade wedges are only very subtly different in my experience, so they have to look good. Then reputation - i.e. brand. I am usually not a brand loyal guy, but certain brands have a reputation when it comes to wedges and there's a reason for that. Cleveland and Titleist (Vokey) are far and away where I look first, with Callaway in a distance 3rd.

Loft and grind options are key too. I need a mix of grinds/bounces in my bag to cover conditions, as well as a lower lofted wedge (~50-52) that is designed with full swings in mind.

Rust.

Really though, brand perception is big, design story is second, looks are third.

Back