What Draws You To Wedges?

I should probably figure this out so I stop buying so many :ROFLMAO:

It's tech and looks for me, plus I really enjoy short game shots so that's why me eye is always drawn to them. I rely a lot of getting up and down so wedges are important to my game. I'm fully aware that my driver swing leaves a lot to be desired regardless the club but feels like wedges I can do more with.

What draws me in to a wedge are flashy looks (Mizuno's stuff is sooo good looking) and a bounce + grind combo that works.

What is going to bring me back to Cleveland though, is durability. I have an RTX4 60* that I game 2x a week and use as a short-game workhorse across sand, rough, and lots of thin crappy lies. After a year, the grooves are still in great shape and the satin finish looks about 90% new. That club will be good for several more years easily. I also own a Vokey that hasn't aged nearly as well.

I know you can't draw customers in with the durability of a wedge on a golf shop rack, but that's why Cleveland is going to sell me my next LW.

But I will add, if it's poorly shaped to my eye at address, I'm out. That doesn't mean small, as I have a Cleveland Smart Sole that gets some play, but if the toe shaping looks odd or the hosel transition looks odd I'll pass pretty quickly. That doesn't mean hi-toe is out, just needs to be done well.

I'm also not super sensitive to leading edge shaping, more square or rounded doesn't matter as much as toe and hosel

I’d say looks, then tech and forgiveness. Reputation also comes into play. My current wedges are CBX2‘s and they checked all those boxes. Going back to looks though, the Mizuno T-22 wedges in blue have me wanting to try those, even though I really like my CBX2’s.

Brand first and foremost. I've played different brands, but I just trust 2 companies more than others based off of past experiences. Tech second. I replace my wedges before they need to be replaced. A good tech story will get me interested and maybe excited. Looks third. You can have the first 2 boxes checked, but if it doesn't look good I'm not really going out of my way to test them. I'll swing em next time I'm in the shop and I remember, but I'm not making a special trip. Check all 3 boxes and then I'll be interested in testing performance on their launch monitor. If that's solid there's a good chance I go home with at least one new wedge if they have wedges with a high enough bounce.

Shape , look and grind options.

Looks and shape. These are the scoring clubs so imperative, at least for me, to be comfortable standing over the ball.

Looks and shape. These are the scoring clubs so imperative, at least for me, to be comfortable standing over the ball.
What wedges do you use? I didn't even notice. I remember the stealth driver and those sick Epon irons.

Used to be looks. Now it’s usability, which basically means bounce and the cavity back. My wedge game has improved massively since I stopped worrying about the look.

The shape of the wedge and specifically how the hosel transitions into the top line and the leading edge are things that I notice. The top line thickness also matters to me.

I prefer a raw or dark finished wedge. Forged wedges with a soft feel are my favorites.

The sole grind, leading edge, trailing edge, heel and toe grinds, bounce all make a difference.

Custom stamping and finishes take it up a notch or two.

Looks, feel, sound and performance. The whole package.

I can change the shaft, ferrule and grip to suit.

The wedge head is what moves me.

Ease of use out of bunkers
utilty for full swings
ease of figuring out grinds

1. brand
2. looks
3. grip- i need to like the way the grip feels without having to change it.

Shape and sole for sure. Dont like high toe wedges. Dont like anything with thick sole. Companies today make grinds too confusing, especially to people who are new to the game. When i was new to golf i had all thick sole high bounce because i thought it was supposed to be more forgiving. I much prefer the performance of thinner soles with low/mid bounce and they look better to me as well.

Looks and brand certainly because there are plenty of options to pick from.

I think though when it comes to wanting to try grind is a big factor. Performance is obviously closely related to that.

Shape first. Grind second. Then performance. Of course performance trumps all. But you are way less likely to give a wedge that chance if the looks are off.

It is the at address look. If it doesn't look a certain way, I won't even try them.

Looks are very important. If I don't feel comfortable looking down at a wedge I don't have confidence.

Looks absolutely drew me to the MD3s a few years ago. Everything else was there that I needed and I've never looked back! But it all started directly with looks

Brand first and foremost.
Then performance
Then customize-ability

How they look at address, like the darker colors, don’t need a bunch of technology drama on the back. The full face ones are an easy pass. Just simple is fine. 588’s are my favorite, but are a thing of the past now.

Probably Vokey next go round.

Brand and looks usually ... but really what draws me in to want to test something different and start looking is poor wedge play or unexpected results from what feel like good shots

what currently draws me to wedges is performance, versatility, ease of use, and looks. In the past I was more brand focused which worked out for me but now I just want the best wedges for the swing and game that I'm currently living with.

wedge is all about looks for me

Brand and spin

Back