what golf instruction do you use and why?

ohio_striker

striped it
Reaction score
Handicap
In our quest to get better there are lots of different ways to go about it. what instructors, magazines, golf pros, work for you?

-Free online video instruction youtube ect.

-paid interactive online instruction.

- in person private lessons

- magazines articles ect

Never had a lesson, but take tidbits from instructors every now and then for certain things if they fall in line with what I'm personally working on/looking to improve. I really like Michael Breed on the Golf Fix.

Have never really used any other than reading books. I tend to process written information better than verbal. I have read tons of golf books but the classic "Ben Hogan's Five Fundamentals" is my favorite!!

In person private lessons for me. Being able to hit balls and get immediate feedback on what was good or bad. For me personally has been the way to go. Also if I play bad on Friday. I can call or text him that night. After a couple of texts or minutes on the phone he can get me on the correct track.

That being said there is alot of good instructions online if you can weed thru the junk. I think Freddie does a great job here on THP

I've tried all of these things, plus a swing analyzer with some drill recommendations built in. They all have their benefits, but working with a coach is the only thing that's paid dividends in any way for me.

In person lessons on the range and the course with our course's PGA Pro Chuck McNeight

Only a few answers but for those that do not seek live lessons, why?

Money at the moment. I also have a friend who is a teaching pro that I sometimes have look at some videos of me. Improved a ton last year and was my first time playing more than a few times a year. Eventually I will hit the wall though and have to make spending money on lessons more of a priority.

For me its money. Golf is an expensive sport to begin with then add equipment and greens fee's. i think the lessons get the short end of the stick.

In person private lessons and the occasional tips from Freddie.

Lessons with my instructor and Swing Tips with Freddie

Live lessons and online stuff (mostly videos). I like a lot of the stuff at Revolution Golf, especially Martin Chuck and Andrew Rice. I also like Shawn Clement (Wisdom in Golf).

Personal private lessons for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me its money. Golf is an expensive sport to begin with then add equipment and greens fee's. i think the lessons get the short end of the stick.

Money is a big part.

I used to set aside 3 hours a week that I would just give free lessons. The head pro hated it but my clients loved it. Lessons ain't cheap and time is valuable. I wish more pros gave away some of their time. Each free lesson turned into a new client.

I used to set aside 3 hours a week that I would just give free lessons. The head pro hated it but my clients loved it. Lessons ain't cheap and time is valuable. I wish more pros gave away some of their time. Each free lesson turned into a new client.

And I have no doubt I would excel with a teacher like you. I've brought myself down from 100+ scores to being able to shoot in the 70's in a relatively short time just by practicing and utilizing tidbits every now and then. With the right teacher I believe I would excel, but at this point in time the funds I do have available to golf I'd rather allocate to equipment or green fees.

In person lessons at GolfTec currently.

Will be taking part of my tax return and seeking out live in person lessons. Honestly feel like that is the best way to improve your game

I trust 3 people with my golf swing. George Connor, Ron Schyed and Freddie Kong

And I have no doubt I would excel with a teacher like you. I've brought myself down from 100+ scores to being able to shoot in the 70's in a relatively short time just by practicing and utilizing tidbits every now and then. With the right teacher I believe I would excel, but at this point in time the funds I do have available to golf I'd rather allocate to equipment or green fees.

And that's were you lose me. You'd rather buy equipment then pay for lessons. It's your coin but if I could pay for lessons over buy equipment, that's what I'd do.

And that's were you lose me. You'd rather buy equipment then pay for lessons. It's your coin but if I could pay for lessons over buy equipment, that's what I'd do.

Never said it made sense haha. But buying equipment is part of the fun for me of golf. The amount of money I spend on clubs is cheaper in general than what lessons would be considering I usually trade or sell current equipment to fund it.

i have a question for you. How would you go about picking an instructor? i think part of the fear is trusting someone else i dont really know that well with my game. that has lead me to learn as much as i can and do more on my own. if you are taking lessons from the wrong guy cant it set you back if you are working on the wrong things?

Some of it was money, but I also felt at the time that I knew I wasn't going to work at improving - If I wasn't practicing after the lesson, then would it do me any good? I just didn't play enough back then.

Now that the head golf coach at my school is helping me (many free mini-lessons) and I'm playing more and I'm a lot more serious about improving, I will be taking some private lessons from him soon.

i have a question for you. How would you go about picking an instructor? i think part of the fear is trusting someone else i dont really know that well with my game. that has lead me to learn as much as i can and do more on my own. if you are taking lessons from the wrong guy cant it set you back if you are working on the wrong things?

Unless he or she is total tool, most pros are a good fit. I know people on the forum think they don't gel with their pro but I think it's more they form want to listen to their pro. This ends up being a conflict of interest.

I feel that if people go in with an open mind and the understanding that they know more than you, you'll be fine. Even with all that I know about the swing, I still listen to those that know about the swing. I don't fight it and I don't push back. When I took lessons from Brian Mogg he set me in such a foreign position that I was literally baffled for the first two weeks. That was 13 years ago that we first started working together. I still, to this day, go back to that first lesson.

Never said it made sense haha. But buying equipment is part of the fun for me of golf. The amount of money I spend on clubs is cheaper in general than what lessons would be considering I usually trade or sell current equipment to fund it.
This is me too. I prefer to spend on equipment over lessons, but I am slowly shifting positions on that after finally having some lessons result in lower scores.
Having a lesson make a key change and then seeing the fruit of that labor is a critical step to viewing lessons as "worth it". I know so many guys that have taken lessons and not actually shave a stroke off their handicaps as a result.

Back