What golf "traditions" mean more, less or not at all to you?

I don't think dress codes at golf courses are there to remind people to have good etiquette. Simply being on a golf course should do that. I don't think people are more prone to behave poorly on a golf course if they are dressed down. I think a**holes will act like a**holes no matter what their wearing.
Amen, brother...

But the code does signify acting appropriately is whats desired and expected.
Being a decent human being on a golf course signifies the expectation of acting appropriately.

Nobody has thought, "you know, I was going to do donuts on the green with the cart, but because the course has a dress code I realize, I probably shouldn't."

But the code does signify acting appropriately is whats desired and expected.

But that doesn't have to do with what someone is wearing... Someone can come to the golf course in a tuxedo and not display proper etiquette.

But that doesn't have to do with what someone is wearing... Someone can come to the golf course in a tuxedo and not display proper etiquette.
And one can show up in a tux and be a complete moron.
Yet as I've stated religiously that misses the entire point.

Two traditional principles are all I care about. Respecting the course and respecting your fellow golfer.

For the former I'd put it this way. Take care of the course as well as you can, given the fact that hitting shots necessarily causes wear and tear.

For the latter I'd say it like this. Don't insist on "doing your thing" if it prevents the other golfers on the course from "doing their thing".
I couldn't have said it any better myself. (y)

Being a decent human being on a golf course signifies the expectation of acting appropriately.

Nobody has thought, "you know, I was going to do donuts on the green with the cart, but because the course has a dress code I realize, I probably shouldn't."
Your first paragraph.....we havnt seen poor etiquette on golf courses? And everyone is always so well behaved? Yes ubfortunately people do need to be reminded.

Your second paragraph...
..Again is yet another over dramatization and misses the subtle point.

Most all of us tend to tighten up a bit or loosen up a bit via our dress. No it doesn't mean your going to do doughnuts on a green. How many times does it have to be explained none of what I'm saying means you will turn into some low class lunatic. Why do you keep going down that road insisting to compare and imply that is what I mean.
Time and time and time again and again and again.
Respectfully Blu...You must he trying to intentionally stir the pot and or get under my skin. Because there is no way possible with how many times I have stated to you specifically that none of what I'm saying means one will turn into a bad person tearing greens because of dress. There isno way your not smart enough to understand thats not what i mean after explaining that countless times. There is mo way possible you don't register my intent as for that one part of our conversation.

Your first paragraph.....we havnt seen poor etiquette on golf courses? And everyone is always so well behaved? Yes ubfortunately people do need to be reminded.
I've seen poor behavior And etiquette at golf courses with dress codes and at courses without dress codes. From my experience, the variable to consider is not the presence of a dress code, rather that a**holes will be a**holes regardless of what they're wearing.
Your second paragraph...
..Again is yet another over dramatization and misses the subtle point.

Most all of us tend to tighten up a bit or loosen up a bit via our dress. No it doesn't mean your going to do doughnuts on a green. How many times does it have to be explained none of what I'm saying means you will turn into some low class lunatic. Why do you keep going down that road insisting to compare and imply that is what I mean.
Time and time and time again and again and again.
Respectfully Blu...You must he trying to intentionally stir the pot and or get under my skin. Because there is no way possible with how many times I have stated to you specifically that none of what I'm saying means one will turn into a bad person tearing greens because of dress. There isno way your not smart enough to understand thats not what i mean after explaining that countless times. There is mo way possible you don't register my intent as for that one part of our conversation.
I disagree agree that people are more mindful of their actions depending on how they're dressed, specifically on the golf course. I also disagree with you saying I'm being overdramatic because I think I am taking your premise to a logical conclusion.

Maybe you could give me more of am example? Maybe not so egregious as donuts on the green, simpler examples be more appropriate. Would a person be more likely to repair pitch marks on the green depending on dress code? Observe the 'no cart' signs based on dress code? Will dress codes improve pace of play? Does a dress code make it likely that a person respect tee box honors?

Last edited:
Back