What hand(s) are dominant when you putt?

What is more in control when you putt?

• Front hand

• Rear hand

• Both hands equal

• Don't want to think about it or I'll go mental.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Seems like I'm either neutral, or I use both hands to roll. My neutral roll is mostly with my shoulder rotation, with a weak grip, keeping both hands as still as I can. It's easy to lose my rhythm and pathing there if you're not focused and can't keep the hands still. I prefer a stronger grip with my left hand, hinging my left wrist, and stroking through the ball with my right hand. It gives me that audible click from contact, but sometimes I may get a little strong with the stroke.

Last edited:
Reactions: mig
Which one is or which one should be?
I think the front hand should be, at least according to instruction I've read.
But most of us rank amateurs twitch with the back hand.
Alternative grip styles like the pencil or claw probably use the back hand more, but I've only ever use Left (front) hand low, other than conventional, which for me, a righty, helped with keeping the trailing hand from getting overly involved.

Last edited:
My right hand was so dominant that I had to learn to putt left hand low. It made such a major improvement in my putting, I kept it that way.

I voted front hand, and since I'm right handed that means my right hand. But, it's not just that. I got a tip from a guy a few years ago. When I go to the practice green, I practice stroking putts with the right hand only. And this doesn't mean trying to "hit" putts by just using my right hand. Here's the method. Practice straight, level putts of about 5 feet in length. Take your normal 2 handed stance, then take your left hand off the grip and put it on the inside crook of your right elbow, pulling the elbow against your rib cage and pressing the left elbow into the left side of your rib cage. Make the stroke by rocking your shoulders. The right wrist does NOT bend! Then you practice uphill, and also some longer distances.

This helped me solve my main putting problem. Getting too handsy, and "hitting" at the ball rather than "stroking" through it. It helps me tune in just how long my backstroke needs to be stroke the putt the proper distance. I may be making too much of this, but to me, there is a big difference between stroking a putt and hitting a putt. Before I got this down, and it took a little while and I have to reinforce it every year, I wouldn't take a big enough backstroke for many of my putts, especially lag putts. Either subconsciously or through my proprioceptive sense, I knew that and would hit at the ball with my hands trying to make sure the ball got to the hole. There is absolutely no consistency doing things that way!

I am 68, and now putt better than I did as a near scratch player in my early 20's. I could have been dangerous if I knew what the hell I was doing back then!

• Appreciation
Back