What hand(s) are dominant when you putt?

What is more in control when you putt?

• Front hand

• Rear hand

• Both hands equal

• Don't want to think about it or I'll go mental.

Results are only viewable after voting.
razaar stated this in a thread:

I've always fought having too much right hand in my full swing. The sequence breaks down for me.
But when putting, I've given up limiting the right hand. For me, the right hand is where my sense of touch comes from, so it is the dominant control when I putt. Everyone told me the front hand is the key to consistency, but no matter how much I try front hand dominant, I can't control distance as well.

What do you do when putting?
For me its my lead hand (left hand). I use the pencil grip, when essential eliminates my right hand and prevents me from getting flippy. I used to use a convential grip but was kind of inconsistent with it. When I went to the claw and then the pencil towards the middle of last year, my putting improved and reduced my 3-putts.

I might try this to see how it goes. I know I hit putts more consistently on the sweet spot with front hand dominant, which is a key part of distance. But my distance tends to be less consistent. It’s not a great analogy, but to me I feel more comfortable treating putting like horseshoes or cornhole with the right in charge. It’s probably just a matter of putting in enough work on the left. When I try and do equal with both and rock my distance feel goes or the right creeps in...
I compare it to feeling like a backhand in tennis.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: mig
funny. as simple of a question that this is.....ive often wondered if the best putters out there felt differently about it than i did.

I'm truly not sure and don't want to think about it

• Appreciation
I arm-lock putt so the right arm is stabilizing and guiding the putter, however, I am using my upper back rotation to "power" the stroke. It's essentially DeChambeau's method and found that it gives me a very consistent result time after time. I have failed to putt halfway decently with any other method as my hands are real shaky so I need to eliminate any variables giving me an inconsistent result.

Even if you aren't in love with the arm-lock style there's something you could potentially take out of putting like this.

• Appreciation
I putt LH - I'm not sure how you'd classify, but my right hand is dominant. I take my feel from playing hockey where your top hand dominates what the stick does.

I usually try to be more equal, but when I practice at home I tend to try to put more focus on my left (lead) hand, and it tends to help more. Maybe I was onto something....

Add me to the don't want to think about it list. My main focus once I've addressed the ball is just rocking my shoulders and letting my arms & hands follow that motion. Any time I think about getting hands involved bad things happen.

Pendulum stroke... Shoulders rotate that bring the arms and hands along. Neither is dominant.

The lead hand should be the top hand (left for right handed golfer) ... 70% - 30% - the right hand only goes along for the ride & helps guide the putter head thru the ball at impact & towards the hole. (y)

I've been thinking about this a lot. I can still use the sense of pace with my right hand but the swinging action will be more consistent up in the shoulders. I'm trying to do that right now with the front side leading, but the arm-lock seems to be a way to lock things up even more.

It's not even shoulder movement, you can think about it like this: brace your core, begin takeaway using the rotation of your shoulder blades while locking shoulders and arms in place and then repeat a number of times. You can probably already feel the difference in pace control, length of stroke, etc. I think if you are looking for raw consistency then this is arguably the best method.

When I’m putting well both hands are equal on the club and I’m just rocking the shoulders a bit. Hands are just along for the ride

I try use my left hand to pull through more as that's been more successful....I try remember that 🤣

• Haha
For me it's equal. I use my shoulders to putt. I grip the club and turn/rock my shoulders. Hands only hold the club.

Thanks all. My putting in the past has been streaky- I’ll have feel and control on where I start it and can see the line really well. Then a period where the line is kind of a mystery and I’m lagging things more. I thought I’d explore things this winter to bring more consistency. I’d be okay giving up some of the highs of feeling I can sink everything (assuming I read it right) for better overall putting.

Check this video out of Kyle Berkshire learning how it works in practice.

Thanks Nick. Fundamentally it makes a lot of sense. The only thing holding me back is spending the benjamins...

If things don't pan out over the next four to six weeks of daily work I'm going to give it a try for sure.

I've got a $24 solution for you! It will turn a standard putter into an arm-lock without the extended shaft. :)

right hand,, cause i shot pool for years before golf. and switch hand position. .. left hand is just a there to steady..

This would be a good question to ask an opponent on the course - kinda like asking "Do you inhale or exhale when you hit your driver?" :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
I voted rear hand. I like to feel like I’m holding a golf or tennis ball against the shaft with my rear wrist and hold that feel / position through the stroke.

Last edited:
Ok, I’m lost. Totally 🤯.

How in the hell is ones lead hand the dominant hand in putting? I assume as a right hand putter this means your left?

I could putt equally terribly with just my right hand. My left hand is just there to hopefully keep the face square.

What am I missing? The idea of pulling through the putt with my left hand is insane.

Both, but not... equal? Different tasks. Left hangs on, handles the weight, and locks frame through my shoulders, right hand steadies the head and path. I can putt better with just my right than my left, because I'm slightly more right-handed, and a forehead anything with either hand is easier for me than a backhand. It's a partnership, but if I were forced to pick just one as dominant, it'd be left. It's the anchor.

I don't use a dominant hand putting. I putt pendulum style so both hands work together during the putter stroke.

Front hand/arm for me.

Back