What hand(s) are dominant when you putt?

What is more in control when you putt?

• Front hand

• Rear hand

• Both hands equal

• Don't want to think about it or I'll go mental.

Results are only viewable after voting.

mig

Reaction score
razaar stated this in a thread:
The simplest way to get better is to develop lead hand dominance or ambidextrous talent. This is a feature of great golf swings.

I've always fought having too much right hand in my full swing. The sequence breaks down for me.
But when putting, I've given up limiting the right hand. For me, the right hand is where my sense of touch comes from, so it is the dominant control when I putt. Everyone told me the front hand is the key to consistency, but no matter how much I try front hand dominant, I can't control distance as well.

What do you do when putting?

I voted both hands equal, but I try to involve the hands as little as possible besides gripping the club. I brace my elbows against my sides and the swing is from the turn of my shoulders, so there's virtually no hand action involved.

Equal.

Reactions: mig
Front hand should be, sometimes the rear takes over though and that’s when I miss haha

Right hand for me and I’m right handed. IMO it’s pretty easy to determine which hand should be dominant in your stroke. I’m way better at putting right handed only compared to left hand only. I might even putt better on long putts with just my right hand on the club.

Voted I don't think about it. I have enough going thru my little brain on a full swing, I don't need to start over thinking my putting.

I would like it to be front hand because the more I think about the right I tend to think I may be taking it back outside then.

I don't know if any hand is dominant but I make sure my my lead wrist is square at impact.

I'm so trail hand dominant that equal would mean the right hand. Took me 25 years to figure out that my right hand was flipping the face closed at impact and that the timing of that was somewhere between stupid and suspect. Now I put my right hand on the putter in a very supportive position, to stabalize, but with no ability to flip the face. If it has a downside it is that I can only hit a putt about 100ft and stay in form. Now the upside is I went from a below average putter to above average.

I don't use a long heavy putter like Bryson but basically I'm doing a similar motion with a very short putter. Using stiff left arm as basically a pendulum.

I try to keep my hands equal pressure when I putt. Getting too handsy to me makes for inconsistent putting.

Off hand I'd say both, but I don't really know. I really think all my hands do is just hold the club.

What I do know is that my putting stroke is mostly driven by both of my arms. From the shoulders down. Same as my chipping stroke.

razaar stated this in a thread:

I've always fought having too much right hand in my full swing. The sequence breaks down for me.
But when putting, I've given up limiting the right hand. For me, the right hand is where my sense of touch comes from, so it is the dominant control when I putt. Everyone told me the front hand is the key to consistency, but no matter how much I try front hand dominant, I can't control distance as well.

What do you do when putting?
My forward stroke has both forearms supinated with a conventional reverse overlap grip. Both palms are facing upwards with the left shoulder internally rotated and the right externally rotated, which is the same as my normal shot release pattern.

I know that my right hand (right handed) is in control of the stroke but I seem to putt better when I think about it and use my left hand to control it. It's something I need to work on over the winter.

It's a feel thing...I need to "feel" left hand more, but ideally, they are passive, and neither one overtakes the other.

Voted both hands equal .

I think it is different with different people but my rear hand gets jumpy so I need it to be my front hand.

I’m going to get a putter fitting soon, and I’m curious about what it will say about my stroke given my rear hand dominance. My guess is a big face swing or arc, open then closed.
Pretty sure Tiger's putting stroke is open to closed. I don't think this is an issue when the target shoulder is moving upwards during the forward stroke. There is a saying - left shoulder up ball in the cup; right shoulder around ball above ground. Right shoulder around is right shoulder internally rotation.

Pretty sure Tiger's putting stroke is open to closed. I don't think this is an issue when the target shoulder is moving upwards during the forward stroke. There is a saying - left shoulder up ball in the cup; right shoulder around ball above ground. Right shoulder around is right shoulder internally rotation.
Always with the spot on nuggets 👊 Up & in the cup 💪

Front hand is what I voted. When my rear hand gets too handsy I tend to miss more.

They way I try (want) to putt, Hands should not be part of the equation.

Tiger definitely talks about releasing the putter head. That is a concept I have never thought about.

I voted both hands equal, but I try to involve the hands as little as possible besides gripping the club. I brace my elbows against my sides and the swing is from the turn of my shoulders, so there's virtually no hand action involved.
I agree with you.

I try to be equal. I want the back of my front(left) hand squarish and a little cup in my trailing hand/wrist. I try to maintain that through the stroke. My stroke does feel more like I'm pushing with my trail hand than pulling with my lead hand though.

Back