What has changed more in golf over the last 20 years?

I would have to go with equipment as clothing styles are forever changing. Look at the progression of the driver alone, but that's just my 2 cents which isn't saying much.

This is a great question …… I would have to lean more towards equipment with the focus being on the technology now in graphite shafts and balls.
Although a third category to consider would be The Golfer themselves. 20 years ago, the focus on fitness and work out regimens was not where it is today. (Maybe the baggy clothes accommodated that ;)). Todays athlete/golfer has learned the importance of strength and flexibility, diet , etc. You don't see too many golfers on tour that sport the 'ole Keg around the mid-section anymore as opposed to the sculpted six pack .

Old apparel is so bad it's good. Like a McRib. You might think Duffy Waldorf had the worst (best?) shirts, but Dennis Paulson was no slouch.

dennis2.jpgdennis5.jpgdennis6.jpg

Last edited:
Go waggle that driver in your bag and I think you have your answer. As you look down at a 3 core or 4 core ball with urethane cover that you are about to smack 250-300 yards. Pros over 310... I think that while irons through putter are similar as many use blades, there has to be some new tech in the shafts and faces/grooves at this level. The weight of the shafts and stiffness have possibly changed. The amount of r&d can be seen in a Bridgestone ball vs something used in 2000. Now we get to the woods. The fact that there is now AI involved design for ultimate improvement leads me to say equipment. Think of forgiveness and shaft design in woods vs using a longer steel shaft.

Go waggle that driver in your bag and I think you have your answer. As you look down at a 3 core or 4 core ball with urethane cover that you are about to smack 250-300 yards. Pros over 310... I think that while irons through putter are similar as many use blades, there has to be some new tech in the shafts and faces/grooves at this level. The weight of the shafts and stiffness have possibly changed. The amount of r&d can be seen in a Bridgestone ball vs something used in 2000. Now we get to the woods. The fact that there is now AI involved design for ultimate improvement leads me to say equipment. Think of forgiveness and shaft design in woods vs using a longer steel shaft.

This is my argument that if you want to change the game due to distance, change the ball. Everything will behave differently. Every shot. Grow the grass just makes every course play like Winged Foot 2006.

I don’t recall big baggy pleated khakis ever being that popular on the European Tour, so I’ll go with equipment, specifically, the golf ball.

I am of the thoughts that equipment has changed the most over the last twenty years. From a technology spot and advancements in materials, it’s like when you watch those old videos of the clubs Jack, Norman, and Trevino use to play to what is on the course now. Such a difference.

Clothing I have always seen has been mostly about what’s in fashion that year. The docker pants have changed very little except now my pants have stretch in the waistline. Polls are the same except some are more fit and the updated color schemes have improved. I probably have some hats from 2000 lying around still. I even have some Jean shorts that my wife says no way I can wear these. Yet I laughed the other day when it seems that is making a comeback.

So, I lean towards equipment. And I didn’t even mention the ball which has totally changed since 2000

This is my argument that if you want to change the game due to distance, change the ball. Everything will behave differently. Every shot. Grow the grass just makes every course play like Winged Foot 2006.
I get the ball but I also want to promote science and technology. I don't think it has to be a wingfoot long in the rough, but the fairways on Muni courses and country clubs are not the same let alone tour level courses the week of the tournament. I think 3 core is good because it promotes advancement.

To me it's apparel, but equipment has changed a lot too. It is a really good question.

Steel shafts in drivers just seems to crazy to me, it's hard to believe it used to be the norm.

Golf is actually pretty cool now.

Back when I was in high school....most people thought of it as an old man sport.

I was going to say clothing but then I took out an old 2 iron that I had played years ago and compared it to my longest iron currently which is a PXG 0211 5 iron.

I couldn’t imagine trying to hit the 2 iron now on a regular basis so I’m going to vote for equipment.

8AA03B28-826B-4C03-8F63-0EAB49B32C7E.jpeg22AD3588-7819-43AA-9088-B565B4C0A17E.jpegB33656E6-B8B5-4A7A-91BA-8BC86CB2E399.jpegA8CBA6FF-D70B-4C18-A8B2-851C774C4330.jpeg80E5519A-3257-48DF-9510-AD5BE7D58BEA.jpeg807BD4D3-40D3-4101-BE49-D0D3E26ED224.jpeg

Just about everything is better these days.

Driver heads with adjustable hosels? Incredible!

Ball technology. I'm still a Pro-V1 guy, but there are many other balls just as good or better now.

Modern blade irons heads. The radius, camber, leading edges, bounce...... all seem to work together a lot better. Some of the older Mizuno's models are still great.

And most importantly, the shafts available today. The variations out there are almost endless which is a club geek's dream.

I’ve given this more and more thoughts.

We have adjustable clubs now, bigger driver heads, graphite shafts and all sorts of other tech now.

That said, I’m going apparel. Yes, I know folks say that fashion always comes back around but just look at the shoes and baggy clothes. So much has changed.

At least the wife agrees with me on this one. She is looking forward to seeing Brooks back in action soon with his airbrushed shirts.

Courses closing Permanently. An awful lot of courses have closed Fairly recently

Golf club technology changed a lot. You still have to swing the club yourself but technology has had a huge impact on golf in the last 15-20 years. Changes in clubs, balls, shoes, and the equipment that helps make the game easier and more enjoyable have altered the game dramatically.

If you listen to the manufacturers' commercials, you will be able to make huge strides in your game just by stepping up the equipment you use. It's not quite that simple but improved equipment will turn an average golfer into a good one, a good golfer into a great one, and help the top amateurs consider making a run at the professional ranks.

You can find more information reading some cool articles about golf, like economically priced golf balls.

Last edited:
Gotta be equipment. Apparel has just gotten tighter over the years, and you never know, the baggy mid sleeves and pleated pants could come back in again one day.

Gotta be equipment. Apparel has just gotten tighter over the years, and you never know, the baggy mid sleeves and pleated pants could come back in again one day.
Fashion is cyclical, golf equipment keeps advancing forward. Things like pleated pants and baggy polos may come back into style, but I doubt we'll ever go back to persimmon drivers and MB blades as the "in" tech for everyday golfers.

The ball, and the equipment. Changing the weighting back in 2000 was a hotmelt and that's it. You didn't like the shaft in a driver, too bad. Now? Adapters and a wrench can give you any combo you want. Come on irons, you're really slacking off in terms of catching up on this one!

I think it’s equipment with the technological advances. The ball has progressed and the clubs are made to be as forgiving as possible.

Equipment and its not even really close. We've gone from wood woods, steel shafts and wound balls to metalwoods, hybrids, graphite shafts, multiple wedges, putters with high MOI, balls that dont spin much off the long clubs and spin like crazy off the wedges but still feel soft off the putter.
Apparel has changed for sure with more synthetic materials and mositure wicking materials.
Let me ask you this though: lets go to the extreme, lets say you had to play in a tweed suit and a wool flat cap, like in the '20s but you could play with modern gear. Lets also say that you could play in modern apparel but had to play with 1950s clubs. Which way do you think you would shoot a lower score? Case closed.

It's not one of your wife's choices but it's actually cost that has changed the most. It cost's a lot more to play today than in the past.

“Shirts airbrushed on”

Thank god this wasn’t the case when Craig “The Walrus” Stadler played....

Back