What hybrid, help!

lowfi

Reaction score
Handicap
8.8 OOB
Hi guys,

This is super last minute, I know :(, but feel like I need to fill a gap. I'm playing Torrey Pines next week (Thursday) and am worried about the length. Right now I'm gaming a Dr, 3W, 3i- then on. I typically hit the 3iron off the tee on narrow holes, and shorter par4's. There is a big gap for me between the 250yd- 210 yard areas. This is a bit of a bummer due to slightly shorter par 5's and longer par 3's (I can't hit the 3i 225+, and I can't dial back the 3w/make it stop rolling <235). I need to slip in a hybrid somewhere. What degree do you think that I should get and what brand? I've been thinking in the 2iron range, maybe 17-20*. So far I've hit on the monitor the Ping i20 (not as long for me), the Adams Ao12 (easy to hit), the TM Rocketballz (long) and the Nike VR_S(long but I didnt like the huge head). My old hybrid was a Mashie 21* that I hit ~215-220, but it had too much offset. As my swing has improved, the hook has definitely come into play. These other clubs seemed to not hook as much as the mashie, but I'm still not to accurate with them. The only thing I could see on the monitor was ball flight, I have no idea what numbers are ideal when looking for a hybrid.

Right now I'm maxed out on clubs in the bag because I play 4 wedges. I would have to drop a club. Should I just wait and not buy a hybrid for Torrey? Or demo them as best I can, then buy one this week? FWIW, I do have a 2 iron in the garage, but I'm not as confident with it as I am with the 3iron.

Thanks for the help,

Low

Hi guys,

This is super last minute, I know :(, but feel like I need to fill a gap. I'm playing Torrey Pines next week (Thursday) and am worried about the length. Right now I'm gaming a Dr, 3W, 3i- then on. I typically hit the 3iron off the tee on narrow holes, and shorter par4's. There is a big gap for me between the 250yd- 210 yard areas. This is a bit of a bummer due to slightly shorter par 5's and longer par 3's (I can't hit the 3i 225+, and I can't dial back the 3w/make it stop rolling <235). I need to slip in a hybrid somewhere. What degree do you think that I should get and what brand? I've been thinking in the 2iron range, maybe 17-20*. So far I've hit on the monitor the Ping i20 (not as long for me), the Adams Ao12 (easy to hit), the TM Rocketballz (long) and the Nike VR_S(long but I didnt like the huge head). My old hybrid was a Mashie 21* that I hit ~215-220, but it had too much offset. As my swing has improved, the hook has definitely come into play. These other clubs seemed to not hook as much as the mashie, but I'm still not to accurate with them. The only thing I could see on the monitor was ball flight, I have no idea what numbers are ideal when looking for a hybrid.

Right now I'm maxed out on clubs in the bag because I play 4 wedges. I would have to drop a club. Should I just wait and not buy a hybrid for Torrey? Or demo them as best I can, then buy one this week? FWIW, I do have a 2 iron in the garage, but I'm not as confident with it as I am with the 3iron.

Thanks for the help,

Low

try a adams or titleist 18* ish.

I would actually look into a 5 wood, they are great off the tee and easy to hit from the deck, I swear by my R11s

If not check out the Mashie M2 or the R11 3 rescue

I would vote for an 18 razr tour

Leave the 2 iron in the garage?

New JPX 825 hybrids are gorgeous (yet to hit one, just sayin).

May sound weird but my I have a Cobra AMP hybrid and I LOVE that thing. I always had trouble hitting a hybrid straight and can't hit anything but straight now. Can be had cheap too!

I would highly recommend the R11 hybrid I have a 3&4 and absolutely love them! Lately they have been my go to clubs I use them a lot off the tee.

Should be plenty of places to go try something out in your area.

I'd go 5 wood, especially for long courses. If you can hit a 2 iron then you can easily hit a 5 wood.

Sounds like a 18* hybrid would work for your swing. Cobra, Ping Taylormade, Titlelist their all greart clubs.
It all depends on how much is in the budget.
Have fun next week.

Torrey Pines, I'm jealous. I'd recommend an 18° hybrid as well. I've played the I20 17° and Mashie H2 18° before and currently the mashie has supplanted the Ping because I find it much more consistent. I do tend to hit a draw with it but it is slight and not the horrible pull hooks that I'd tend to get with the I20. I just play it forward slightly more that usual to straighten it out. I find that the mashie gets the ball in the air a lot better than the I20 for me. There are some other good hybrids out there too. The 18° range should get you about 230-235 landing much softer than a 3W.

My Cobra Amp hybrid 19 degree should be coming in today! Thanks THP Iowa!

Edit: And Cookie for the deal online!

I'd go 5 wood, especially for long courses. If you can hit a 2 iron then you can easily hit a 5 wood.

my thought exactly, a 2 iron is tough from the rough if it i needed, but the 5 wood can do it easily

I know it is not a popular opinion, but I feel the Cleveland HB3 hybrids that I'm playing are quite a bit better than the Mashies. The Mashies and I just didn't get along. The HB3s have far less offset and I hit them more consistently and straighter.

I've had and have hit a lot of hybrids in the past year. Probably if I were just going to buy one to fill a gap, I'd actually probably get the Tour Edge Trilogy. You can find them for a song, they're great out of any lie, they set up neutral with virtually zero offset and they come with a lifetime warranty. I think they have one in 18 degrees if I am not mistaken. My Trilogy FW woods are my favorite clubs in my bag.

Also, there are a couple of Adams hybrids in the for sale section. You might be able to make a deal with a fellow THPer, particularly if they hear about the upcoming round.

Good luck on your Torrey Pines round. I'm quite jealous.

I'll echo the others here and say you may be better off with a 5W. Can't say enough good things about my Mashie F5.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

18* Adams A12 hybrids is my recommendation. I use personally and really like how they're so easy to hit.

My two cents, I would go with what I have right now and test and look at hybrids and get one when I found one I liked. You might even go with a 5-wood eventually. I think you will have more confidence with something you are more used to. I don't like the idea of changing your set-up for a course unless you are confident in the clubs swapped out for.

I love my Adams a12 3-h. It's definitely something worth looking into. They have a V3 Tech that is for better players too that you might want to look at

I have been using an Adams IWOOD 17*(this is the first one they came out with and is very offset) instead of my 3 iron. Personally I was allot longer with my 3 iron but not nearly as accurate or forgiving. This club is short, it almost feels like a 7 or 8 iron at stance. I only hit it about 180-185. I am not a long hitter at all but this club can get me out of trouble and that's why I keep it.
If I need that 190-215 club I opt for my 5 wood. The 5 wood I use is old technology probably 15 or so years old and an off brand Rawlings MVP.
I haven't got to try any of the new hybrids, I am sure they are a ton better now but with my budget I can't afford them,and being left handed makes used hard to find or test.
The 5 wood is awesome off the box but in bad lies or rough it is not forgiving like a hybrid.Just my .02 worth.

Thanks everyone for the great feedback. I will be hitting some tomorrow on the monitor and get the results to post on here. I am going to be trying the i20, rocketballz, A12, and maybe a tour edge tomorrow. I cant stand offset and im slowly realizing that lighter shafts arent too great for my swing. Hook city. Keep your fingers crossed!

I will probably purchase this club after Torrey. I think switching out the 3i a couple days before the round is pushing it. But this club will be my next must buy!

Cheers!

I think sticking with what you are familiar with is better in the short term. But once you have time to really research and then acclimate to your purchase, you will reap the hybrid benefits.

Your situation describes why I switched to a 4 wood. Personally I gained yardage with better launch and increased confidence. I choose my adjustable hybrid so I could tweak it into the gap I wanted. Another nice thing about hybrids is that they are easy to choke down and take some distance off. For this reason I feel the hybo can cover a range of distances.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the help,

Low

I have had to best luck and performance results from the Adams line of hybrids.. Plus they just released the XTD Super line and they are NICEEEEEEEEEE... So easy to hit

Back