What If Tiger Played Player's Cavity Back?

Johan185

SoCal, KiteSurfer, Golf Enthusiasts
Reaction score
Handicap
With the undeniable Success of Brooks Koepka and The Mizuno JPX 919 Tour.

Is it possible that a switch to a Player's Cavity Back Would Give Tiger Woods what he ultimately Desires? Winning 20 Majors.

Screenshot_20200124-100228_Chrome.jpg

He's on record as saying he likes the older lofts and that he wants a well struck ball to go the exact distance and no more, he's worried about flyers.

I think the big cat should play whatever he wants to :)

Tiger Woods has hand/eye coordination pretty much unlike anybody ever seen in the world of golf. When you read/listen to his descriptions of what he is trying to do with his irons, how he strikes them, how he is able to make the most infinitesimal adjustments to his swing to alter his ball strikes, you conclude that a blade is what he needs t work his magic, and not just any blade. I have read articles about how he will test club after club and reject them until one feels exactly how he wants it to feel.

I don’t think he would get the level of feel and maneuverability with a cavity back that he wants and it would probably play with his mind to where his ball striking would be worse, not better. His best change of surpassing Jack is to play the exact equipment he desires and having good luck to hold up physically. Even then, I don’t think he can get there at this point, but I would never bet against him.

I am just thinking about the one or two Irons he miss Strikes in a Tournament and turns around in disgust.

Of Course he knows exactly what he is doing. No one in the world knows better exactly what he needs to play to Win.

But how many times has he lost a Tournament by just one or two strokes.

Of Course how many times has he hit the most accurate incredible shots in Golfing History. More than we can count.

Just food for Thought.

I have often wondered what the pros would do with cavity backs. I assume it would completely eliminate off target or short shots for them, I wonder if that would make up for the loss of workability on the score card.

I have often wondered what the pros would do with cavity backs. I assume it would completely eliminate off target or short shots for them, I wonder if that would make up for the loss of workability on the score card.

I may be wrong, but it seems that I remember reading that the percentage of young tour pros hitting some type of players cavity is growing over time. I personally don’t think a very shallow cavity, players iron would detract from most of their games and might actually help, but for players of that skill level, it is such a matter of feel and hitting their windows. Their ball striking is at a level that I cannot even comprehend, so I am probably not qualified to opine.

I think its an interesting thought to discuss, but what I can guarantee that he would hit them WAY better than I can hit is very custom blades. The inverse is that my smile hitting his would be much bigger than his hitting CBs.

The iron that really established TaylorMade as a serious OEM in the golf industry was the cavity/blade Tour (Bubble) Burner. This club was in the bags of four major winners - Jansen, Els, O'Meara & Lehman during the late 1990's.

Tiger is the best iron player of all time. He wears dimes into his irons. No, player cavities would not magically unlock wins for him.

I agree I don’t think a club change would alter his ability to win more majors. If it could, he would have done it.

Tiger is the greatest iron player to ever live. Players CB irons arent going to make one bit of difference in his performance.

Well, he did play ping irons as a junior.

1579894760551.png

1579894827296.png

He’d have less control over flight, distance, and shaping the ball which would very likely increase his his average proximity.
They, and especially Tiger, play a different game than we do.

I may be wrong, but it seems that I remember reading that the percentage of young tour pros hitting some type of players cavity is growing over time. I personally don’t think a very shallow cavity, players iron would detract from most of their games and might actually help, but for players of that skill level, it is such a matter of feel and hitting their windows. Their ball striking is at a level that I cannot even comprehend, so I am probably not qualified to opine.
I'm a newer player and posted here awhile back about liking the feel of players cavity irons but feeling like I needed to be playing GI's. The consensus seemed to be go with whatever feels and performs best regardless of handicap. It makes sense that those guys know exactly what their doing at that level. It would be fun to see the yardages on some of these guys hitting a GI though.

I'm a newer player and posted here awhile back about liking the feel of players cavity irons but feeling like I needed to be playing GI's. The consensus seemed to be go with whatever feels and performs best regardless of handicap. It makes sense that those guys know exactly what their doing at that level. It would be fun to see the yardages on some of these guys hitting a GI though.

This might shed some light on the differences.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong but Tiger is altering the shot trajectory, spin and the left/right movement of the ball in order to get it as close to the pin as possible given wind and green conditions. He isn't having problems with launch or mishits. If someone wanted to improve irons for Tiger, they would make them more workable. I believe his TW blade irons he came out with has a tungsten insert right at the sweet spot, which actually minimizes MOI.

He is playing a different game than 99.99% of us.

The lofts on these things are kind of funny in comparison to everything else:

He played his 7 iron at 36 degrees.

Tiger could break sixty at my home club playing with my late uncle's 1954 MacGregor Tommy Armour woods and Wilson Staff DynaPowered irons.
[That turned out to be my very first set and I still have it.]

He's no different than a ten handicapper in one way.
Half of it is in his head.

Sure, he's good enough for exact metrics to matter,
but to think that he wouldn't have done as well with cavity backs is impossible for me to believe.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong but Tiger is altering the shot trajectory, spin and the left/right movement of the ball in order to get it as close to the pin as possible given wind and green conditions. He isn't having problems with launch or mishits. If someone wanted to improve irons for Tiger, they would make them more workable. I believe his TW blade irons he came out with has a tungsten insert right at the sweet spot, which actually minimizes MOI.

He is playing a different game than 99.99% of us.

The lofts on these things are kind of funny in comparison to everything else:

He played his 7 iron at 36 degrees.
But my New T400 Titleist is 38* IDK. Could I be missing Control?

As If. ?

But my New T400 Titleist is 38* IDK. Could I be missing Control?

As If. ?

There is potential truth to that. There is research on both sides. There is also the the question if hollow irons are in fact "jumpy". I can't say for sure, either way. I know that I do not like hollow irons as I always feel that less than full shots seem to fly off the face.

Is that perception or reality? I don't have the answer.

Tiger is smarter at golf by far than everyone on this forum and millions of $'s are riding on his play. I'm pretty sure he is playing the best clubs for his game.

he should play launcher hb's...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Back