oiler3535

Reaction score
Handicap
With brands continuing to drop Tiger, I'm curious what would happen if Nike and he parted ways? I know he gets a lot of special treatment by them customization wise, but what do you think would happen in he was to be free from them? Very rarely do I hear them mentioned as a top clubmaker, and I was always curious what would happen if Tiger played a different brand.

Maybe he could find a putter he'd like?
Maybe he'd find a driver he could hit straight?

Anybody know his contract situation? I know he gets paid a ton, but when is it up for renewal? Despite his divorce he can't need a few extra million to stay with them. I'm not sure if the clubs would affect his game, but I am very curious.

This is not a referendum on the quality of Nike clubs (b/c I am NOT an expert on clubs). Just curious as to people's thoughts on if Tiger might be looking for a new brand anytime soon, and what effects it might have on his game.

Last edited:
Not gonna happen....but I can tell you regarding the putter that he moved back to Scotty this past weekend so he is not "stuck" with Nike on the putter part of his contract.

He would have every company equipment wise lined up to take him.
He does not always use a Nike putter (for years and still now, uses a Cameron)
He got a pay cut from Nike in the last 6 months.

I strongly disagree about Nike and not being a top club maker despite who is mentioning it. Since Tom Stites has come on board they have released some of the best equipment in the world and certainly on par with every other major brand out there.

I can see Tiger leaving, but I can't see Nike getting rid of him - who knows maybe I'd be surprised though. Nike seems to have built too much around him to let him go unless they absolutely have to. And Tigers game is so mental I could see him easily trying for a change - but it would cost him a lot I bet.

Like JB said, I think Nike puts out some great equipment. I have been impressed with every Nike club I have hit this year.

I know he goes back and forth between his Cameron and his Method; he is clearly not comfortable with either.

Like JB said, I think Nike puts out some great equipment. I have been impressed with every Nike club I have hit this year.

I play 2 Nike clubs, and have had more in the past. I'm not saying the clubs are bad, but when you hear reviewers and the like talk about clubs, I get the sense that Nike is thought of being a step behind some of the other OEMs. I hear more about Cleveland and Srixon improving than I do Nike. Just my sense, and of course the next time I get clubs I would be happy to buy Nikes if I try them out and they fit me the best.

sometimes you need to consider the source of those reviews as well....

I play 2 Nike clubs, and have had more in the past. I'm not saying the clubs are bad, but when you hear reviewers and the like talk about clubs, I get the sense that Nike is thought of being a step behind some of the other OEMs. I hear more about Cleveland and Srixon improving than I do Nike. Just my sense, and of course the next time I get clubs I would be happy to buy Nikes if I try them out and they fit me the best.

I would somewhat agree with that in the past. But now with the VR Pro series, I believe they greatly stepped up their game to close that gap against some of the larger OEM's that have been in the game longer. That misconception about the quality of Nike clubs has been there for awhile even with Tiger playing them but now with the efforts they are making to get the word out (THP testing for example), that is going to change.

I think Nike has some of the most improved clubs on the market from even last year to this year, and they did it without Tiger winning.

The Nike brand isn't really a shadow behind Woods anymore in my opinion. The Nike stable has a number of excellent golfers, and I separate the two by Tiger toting is TW brand.

sometimes you need to consider the source of those reviews as well....

For sure. I really didn't mean this thread to turn in to a referendum on the quality of Nike clubs (b/c I am NOT an expert on clubs). Just curious as to people's thoughts on if Tiger might be looking for a new brand anytime soon, and what effects it might have on his game.

Nike is always about progressive athletes and Tiger has been that in spades. They didn't step away from Jordan when he dicided to play for the WhiteSox or the Wizards. As far as there clubs go, I think they have done an amazing job in the past 3 years. Before that I wasn't really impressed with anything but their game improvement irons.

Stites designed Hogan clubs for quite a long time, and you can believe that if he passed the Hogan test he's a damn good designer, if not the best club designer out there. Nike is directly in line with every other OEM out there and may even surpass a few when it comes to playability.

After this disaster of a season, I still think if he fails to win or seriously compete next season he will no longer be a Nike guy in 2013. If he did move companies, I think he'd pick another 'small' company that doesn't have a lot of pros so he could highly influence them. I.e. no Callaway, nor TM nor Titleist. Could actually see him start a new company with a veteran club designer (plus a big investor) and make Tiger Clubs.

I don't see Nike being behind any of the OEMs. In fact, they have had 2 major champions since Tiger and both used (as far as I know) complete Nike bag and apparel. Their shoes are top notch, their clothing in general really nice and as the VR Pro Combo review thread shows, their irons do the job as well.

As for Tiger leaving them - can't see it. They are as intertwined as Gin & Tonic, JD & Coke...however if he did as JB said, I think he'd start a major scramble for his signature.

I agree with the vast majority. I don't think they will split ways. Nike n Tiger are ONE

I heard that Nike sanctioned him for his conduct last year. It was on one of the golf telecasts they said they dropped him from 20 million to 10 million for the for his misconduct. I think it was just 1 year.

No chance he leaves Nike or they drop him. He's Tiger. For a while there he was Nike.

I wish golf was as easy as Tapatalk.

Maybe I'm a bit of a cynic, but business is business, and if he's not winning he's not making them money, and if he's not winning clubs are an easy excuse. Nobody seems to think there's any chance he leaves; I just don't buy it. I am curious how long his contract with Nike is; I haven't been able to find it online anywhere. They may not fire him, but if his contract is up in the next year or two, they might just decide to amicably split paths.

I can't see that because I still think he's bringing them more money than anyone else.

I wish golf was as easy as Tapatalk.

but business is business, and if he's not winning he's not making them money

Tim Tebow sells more jerseys than almost any other NFL player, but he is a backup on a bad team. Winning does not always equate to product sales. Tiger does not have to win for make Nike money. He is still the best known player in the game.

He'd be back with Titleist in a heartbeat.

Tim Tebow sells more jerseys than almost any other NFL player, but he is a backup on a bad team. Winning does not always equate to product sales. Tiger does not have to win for make Nike money. He is still the best known player in the game.

That was before Tebow was about to be cut. I doubt he's still in the top lists now that he's back to 3rd string and ready to be cut at the 1st injury that needs a replacement.

The thread came back up just because I noticed somebody had posted since the last time I had looked (long ago lol).

Back