Votes: 10 8.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tenputt

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 5.4
The buzz is building quickly for some new releases that look super intriguing. If this next year becomes the year of the irons, it might be fun to see what iron profile THPers currently are choosing to put in their bag.

I have been an advocate for player distance for my game. I felt like the extra distance in a nice looking profile best suited my game at this point in my life. That still may be true, but I am currently experimenting with a set of player cavities and although I am hitting about one green less per 18 holes, I am seeing more legitimate birdie opportunities. I think my variance in scoring will increase, but so will my ceiling, at least for a year or two. I am committed to this profile for the remainder of the year to see if my initial perception is accurate.

I play the 765s from Srixon and would do a players distance iron again.

How would you categorize the PTx Pros? Players Distance or Players Cavity?

love love LOVE player's distance irons. I've lived in that category for more irons than I care to admit playing over the last several years. mav pros fall into that category, and they're treating me better than I deserve.

blades right now and I'm having some crazy fun doing so

Game improvement right now in the Epic Forged. Would like to go back to the players distance like the Srixon 765 I previously played.

I'd like to keep my 2009 Callaway X-Forged 8, 9 and PW and then explore something else in the 4-7 irons. My gaps are smaller in the longer irons now and I don't quite generate the distances I used to. For the 4 and 5-irons, I think I'd even like to play graphite shafts or maybe regular steel shafts. It'd be nice to get those distance gaps back again and hit more greens with my long and mid irons.

Game improvement although compared to past Ping releases they’re pretty compact and close to players distance irons I’ve played

I’m playing my trusty old Adams A7 irons. Not sure if they’re game improvement or super.

SGI HL4's.

Best thing I ever did for my golf game (including the fitting)

I have the CF-19 Apex combo set, so I chose players distance, but not sure they fit there.

I'm currently playing blades, CBs, and players distance. Sometimes only one, sometimes all three at once. Usually at least 2 though. It's all about the combo sets for me. I love control, but I'll definitely take distance/forgiveness where I can get it and it makes sense.

How would you categorize the PTx Pros? Players Distance or Players Cavity?

I went with Players Cavity. Lofts are more traditional. I have always thought Hogan irons placed more of a premium on consistency rather than chasing distance, which I personally prefer.

I play game improvement (the 1st fully cast irons from Ben Hogan circa 2005). No need to change since they work for me and my game :cool:

MB’s 💪

I'd like to keep my 2009 Callaway X-Forged 8, 9 and PW and then explore something else in the 4-7 irons. My gaps are smaller in the longer irons now and I don't quite generate the distances I used to. For the 4 and 5-irons, I think I'd even like to play graphite shafts or maybe regular steel shafts. It'd be nice to get those distance gaps back again and hit more greens with my long and mid irons.

You could definitely try something similar to my experiment. I am playino MIzuno MMC 6 through pw. The 6 iron is 28 degrees. I then go to a Cobra King utility that can be adjusted and I have it set at 24 degrees. That gap appears to be a little on the large size, but it works.

game improvement srixon z565

Players distance or players cavity are both accurate I suppose (MP-18 MMC). Good fit for me. I will likely stay in that realm, plus or minus. Lately I have contemplated some additional forgiveness in longer irons and some additional playability in shorter irons. I think a combo is in my future.

SGI, although I could play with GI irons. My iron play is not strong enough for any other and I need as much help as I can get.

Game improvement style with light shafts which at present seems a really good choice for me. My iron game has improved quite a bit and not really trying anything else right now. At some point I would love to see how a standard iron feels. I do think my 5 iron might need a stronger torque shaft as I do flex it some.

I guess mine are game improvement. What I need are the "you suck so bad, these clubs will make you look halfway decent. Use them" kind of uber-super-duper-game-improvement irons. I don't think they're made yet.:D

Playing the G700 which some probably would categorize as super game improvement. I'd rather call them players distance as I play to a 5.3 index and enjoy the distance and forgiveness. I got fitted for Recoil 65 shafts. They work well with the G700 heads. It's about hitting greens and making putts. They do what I need them to do.

Callaway Apex CF 19's. I don't know their classification.

Back