• Players distance

Votes: 41 34.5%
  • Player cavity

Votes: 32 26.9%
  • Blade

Votes: 10 8.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I could be wrong, but I don't think there is a choice up there for me. I'm playing a split 585/785 set. Isn't that GI/PC?

PXG 0211 new in the bag. Don’t know if they’re GI or SGI. Whichever they are, they work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m playing GI TM M2’s (2017 version) but switch them out for my Nike TW blades every so often to remind me I have no business hitting them. After a couple rounds with the blades I seem to hit the M2’s better.

Whatever category the CF-16s fit into.

Player's Distance?

Player’s distance irons. The ultra sexy, ultra forgiving Apex 19 smoke irons.

I’m playing Wilson Pi5 until my new Maltby irons arrive, I think the MPF puts them in SGI, but they look like players cavity clubs.

I could be wrong, but I don't think there is a choice up there for me. I'm playing a split 585/785 set. Isn't that GI/PC?

I would put it in the PC category because those are your scoring irons.

MP-20.

Play what you like and groove what you play. I play irons that I like the look/feel of and can hit reasonably well. Category doesn't matter to me.

Dave

I've bounced around this year between a hollow body and a player CB profile.

Haven't really found that sweet spot yet, but I am toying with some interesting blends that I hope really perform well. Not much to talk about right now, but I've already got some great numbers in the 4 iron spot with an SGI that performs better than a Utility in just about every way.

I have been thinking about profile a lot lately, because I have played game improvement, player distance and player cavity over the last year and a half. I actually have liked all three profiles. The Cobra F9 that I chose for the Morgan Cup last year are the proverbial “point and shoot.” They were very forgiving. I moved into the Cobra Forged Tec last fall when they were released. It put me back into familiar territory, as I had really loved the P790s that I sold to a forum member when I was lucky enough to get into the Morgan Cup. The Forged Tecs were with me when I reached my all time low index of 3.8. Both the game improvement and the player distance profiles gave me a very high GIR number, but many putts in the 25 to 35 foot range. Those are not birdie putts. I also struggled with wedge consistency.

When I came across the barely used set of Mizuno MP20 MMCs with one of my preferred shafts, I wondered if they might help me with the wedge issues I never really overcame with the other profiles. I also felt like maybe I could get more birdie opportunities, even if my GIR went down. This is precisely what I have seen. I am feeling much more confident of giving myself a birdie putt when I have an 8 iron down to wedge. The top part of my bag is definitely not as strong now, but that is not where birdies are going to come from anyway.

To sum it up, I think I can be a better player with this particular set of irons than I have been with a players distance or game improvement iron in the bag. Time will tell.

Last edited:
I am gaming GI, but I know I could easily game players cavity like the Cobra Forged Tec One Length irons and with steel shafts. How do I know this? I have a Cobra King 3-4 Utility iron with a steel shaft and I can hit that off the deck easily. I can't imagine the Forged Tecs are more difficult to hit.

As my ball striking is starting to improve I’m looking to try out some players distance irons and see how they perform. I tried some about a year ago but I was just too inconsistent with my swing and GIs were much better even though I don’t like the look and feel. Ultimately performance is what matters so hoping I’ve made enough progress to make the switch soon.

Apex CF19 here. I went Players Distance with my vote.

still got my Mizuno JPX's

Ben Hogan. Either RedLines (1989) or 1999 Apex.

this obviously is very unscientific, but I find it interesting that there are twice as many in this little sample size who play blades as play SGI irons.

SGI according to Maltby MPF ratings, but pretty sleek looking for an SGI, in my opinion. Titleist AP1 718.

They're on the bigger side, but way more "normal" looking than PING G series, or most other SGIs. The 4 iron is the only one that shows lots of offset and bulkiness, visually

I get cavity and blades, but are those other designations real things or just buzzwords made up my the marketing departments?

I get cavity and blades, but are those other designations real things or just buzzwords made up my the marketing departments?
tenor.gif

Back