What irons should I make sure I check out in my fitting next week

Chef23

2023 Srixon Experience
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I have a fitting scheduled next Wednesday at Cool Clubs Boston. The fitting is going to be focused on irons and hybrids although we agreed I would make some driver swings to check out a couple of different shafts I have for my Mavrik.

My background is that I am currently a 3 index give or take depending on how the recent rounds have gone. I played between 0-2 handicap for my mid 20s to early 40s when I basically stopped playing except for customer golf due to chasing my kids around athletic events. I am 54 now and the kids are older and I have time again. About 4 years ago I had a serious illness from which I am completely recovered but a 9 month period of total inactivity sapped my clubhead speed which at my age is hard to recover. I have been working in the gym to build that back and it feels like there is a bit more speed right now but I haven't been able to get fresh numbers.

I have some launch monitor numbers from last year but I think I have a bit more speed right now. Current irons are Ping i200 with Steelfiber i95 stiff. Clubhead speed 82.7, ballspeed 111.6, smash 1.35, backspin 5368, carry 157. I hit the Pings very accurately from 6i-PW. 5 iron can be a little inconsistent.

I am looking to pick up some distance if possible. I don't want to sacrifice accuracy for that or the ability to control trajectory. I do tend to flight the ball down a fair amount and that is an important part of my game. If I can't pick up 5-7 yards of carry I likely won't make a purchase. My plan is to totally put myself in the fitters hands but I am going to have a few heads that I want to hit to see how they perform. Right now that list includes Mavrik Pro, Apex/Apex Pro, i210, Cobra FT. I am interested in the Epic Forged but not sure I want to write that check.

I am generally interested in a players cavity club. If you have experience with any of these or something else that should be on my list to check out let me know.

I have a fitting scheduled next Wednesday at Cool Clubs Boston. The fitting is going to be focused on irons and hybrids although we agreed I would make some driver swings to check out a couple of different shafts I have for my Mavrik.

My background is that I am currently a 3 index give or take depending on how the recent rounds have gone. I played between 0-2 handicap for my mid 20s to early 40s when I basically stopped playing except for customer golf due to chasing my kids around athletic events. I am 54 now and the kids are older and I have time again. About 4 years ago I had a serious illness from which I am completely recovered but a 9 month period of total inactivity sapped my clubhead speed which at my age is hard to recover. I have been working in the gym to build that back and it feels like there is a bit more speed right now but I haven't been able to get fresh numbers.

I have some launch monitor numbers from last year but I think I have a bit more speed right now. Current irons are Ping i200 with Steelfiber i95 stiff. Clubhead speed 82.7, ballspeed 111.6, smash 1.35, backspin 5368, carry 157. I hit the Pings very accurately from 6i-PW. 5 iron can be a little inconsistent.

I am looking to pick up some distance if possible. I don't want to sacrifice accuracy for that or the ability to control trajectory. I do tend to flight the ball down a fair amount and that is an important part of my game. If I can't pick up 5-7 yards of carry I likely won't make a purchase. My plan is to totally put myself in the fitters hands but I am going to have a few heads that I want to hit to see how they perform. Right now that list includes Mavrik Pro, Apex/Apex Pro, i210, Cobra FT. I am interested in the Epic Forged but not sure I want to write that check.

I am generally interested in a players cavity club. If you have experience with any of these or something else that should be on my list to check out let me know.
What club are those numbers from?

If you are a 3 and looking to pick up some distance, I would think the Mavrik Pro would be a great option. As a high ball hitter, they definitely brought my launch down a bit. Can flight them even further down pretty easily. The Apex line is pretty fantastic as well.

I would look at PXG irons (priced well) currently, Mizuno’s, Ping and Srixon. Once you locate a shaft you ought to be able to go through a bunch of different heads to accomplish feel characteristics. Be a little brand agnostic and look at the numbers you get and the feel you like. If you go in fixated on one specific club and it is in the middle of the pack performance wise, you are likely going to purchase it. You may then have buyer’s remorse and always have that feeling, but what if I hit that shot with club x. Anyway you look at it you will most likely find a good club cut to your specs in the fitting. Get ready to hit several balls, bring several sleeves of what ball you play and use them in the fitting. Compare apples to apples. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel like the Apex have one of the naturally highest ball flights of any club in that category I've hit. You might get some extra distance (and I love those clubs, btw), but maybe not in the way you're wanting. All depends on your swing and setup obviously, but I've never heard someone I trust say they aren't noticeably high flying. I really like the i210's but I don't know what kind of performance gain you will get over the i200. I've only ever seen those. They don't seem very different. Having seen the i200 though, the FT will be the ones that look the most different from what you're used to by a wide margin. Longer heel to toe, way more offset, not near the same player type look, imo. The Apex pros might be the closest to your current after the i210s, visually, then probably mav pro. The Forged Tec have been the easiest for me to flight down controllably of the ones you listed, though. The lofts are a bit stronger obviously, but I really like the sole and shape of them for that kind of game. If I were doing a fit with those clubs I'd definitely have the T200s on my list to try.

Sounds like a great day coming up. Have fun and good luck!

What club are those numbers from?

If you are a 3 and looking to pick up some distance, I would think the Mavrik Pro would be a great option. As a high ball hitter, they definitely brought my launch down a bit. Can flight them even further down pretty easily. The Apex line is pretty fantastic as well.

Those numbers are from the Ping i200 with the Steelfiber i95 stiff.

The Apex19's are so good I default to include them in almost any recommendation.

Given what you are specifically looking for I think you should also look at Mavrik Pro's. What about Cobra King irons? And the On The Range session Dan and JMan did for the Mizuno's sure made those irons look good, too.

I might normally include Hogan PTx Pros and Icons but those aren't likely to offer you extra yardage.

I think a fitting would be incomplete without Srixon.

I think you're on the right track with what you're considering. Maybe throw in the new Mizuno lineup too.

Got it sorry. I am a short knocker that is a 6 iron. If it was a 7 iron I would be pretty comfortable with my distances.
I agree with Kev above. You are on the right track in terms of options you want to try. I also agree with the addition of Srixon and Mizuno in the equation. In terms of the i210 irons, you may find those to be extremely similar to what you have now. But, if you like them and want to add some distance you do have the option of using the Power Lofts.

Good luck. Enjoy the process. Try to keep an open mind!

Following this, looks good. I too would add in Mizuno, but I think you got them all covered. Seems like you're a club short, but are the Pings noted for that? I went from Wilson V4's to CF16 to CF19 and added a club distance from the Wilson's. But damn they were accurate. Love the CF19 forged, feel like best of both distance and accuracy. I too don't want to lose any iron distance, I'm older than you. We got to get a round in together.

I agree with Kev above. You are on the right track in terms of options you want to try. I also agree with the addition of Srixon and Mizuno in the equation. In terms of the i210 irons, you may find those to be extremely similar to what you have now. But, if you like them and want to add some distance you do have the option of using the Power Lofts.

Good luck. Enjoy the process. Try to keep an open mind!

I was thinking about the Power Lofts as an option in the i210s. I am going to go in there totally open minded. I did want to have a list of things I was interested in though. My thought is to let the fitter do his thing and if I don't try some of the things I am interested in ask to hit them.

I was thinking about the Power Lofts as an option in the i210s. I am going to go in there totally open minded. I did want to have a list of things I was interested in though. My thought is to let the fitter do his thing and if I don't try some of the things I am interested in ask to hit them.
I think you are approaching it exactly as you should. Trying to be as informed as you can going in.

As mentioned above you might want to look at the Titleist T series. You could probably do a blended set of the T100s for 6-PW and T200 for 4 and 5 iron.

Good luck and enjoy your fitting.

Got it sorry. I am a short knocker that is a 6 iron. If it was a 7 iron I would be pretty comfortable with my distances.

Hit something with Mizuno on it. Whatever club you like the best.

The Cleveland UHX seem to be a big hit. Srixon 585 line is great as well.

Another vote for the Apex irons. Hogan has some great clubs at great prices but you will have to go to club champion or use the demo program.

Honestly, @Danimal had a good idea. The UHX don't fit in at all imo with the ones you were thinking about, but if you're a short knocker and want to try something way different, that would be my suggestion. Even just a few swings so you can see what they're like. Might help mentally ease you into something like them down the line. None of us are getting any younger.

We are the same age. I also had an injury that zapped swing speed. I ended up going from Ping i200’s to Titleist T100S in 8-Gap and T200’s in 4-7. I also made the change to graphite shafts this year. I’ve been thrilled with the blended set thus far...

People write them off sometimes, but don’t overlook Srixon irons. I’ve had the Z-585 for about a year, and love them. They have a very sleek look at address for a cavity back. Forged feel, easy to hit, very forgiving. And bonus - more affordable than others out there.

Also consider Ping I500 and G710. I am 10 yrs older than you, play to a 6 handicap and ended up being fitted with G700 with Recoil 65 shafts in December 2019. I am just now dialing them in with some swing changes I made after healing from herniated disks in my lower back.

You might also consider Taylormade P790.

Back