what is a "bioengineered food product" and why is it in my devil dogs?

Scorp

Lacking competent adult supervision
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Well... I was halfway into eating my fudge dipped devil dog after my lunch sammich and I spy with my little eye the ingredients... and my eye is drawn to the line that says "contains a bioengineered food product.

What is it? Is it like Arabic Gum, or karaghennan or something like that? Yellow dye #2 or Red dye #7?

I mean I know mankind has been bioengineering plants for eons to get better stuff out of them (those lazy slackers. Make more food plants!!!):ROFLMAO:

Soylent green?

It's a Devil Dog....What do you expect....Ha

Artificial vanilla flavoring 😳 Don’t google it...you’ll be sorry!

I'm guessing the wheat is genetically modified to reduce losses/increase yield, perhaps change nutritional content. . . . I lot of the other stuff cited here was chemical, not biological, engineering.

I'm sure that you have heard of non-GMO food. This is the opposite. But that is why Twinkies and Devil Dogs last forever.

As my grandmother used to say, "we eat a peck of dirt before we die" (although i'm really hoping it's not quite that much)
So..... i'm guessing a little "bioengineered food product" here and there can't be all that terrible... right?? :oops:

I'm sure that you have heard of non-GMO food. This is the opposite. But that is why Twinkies and Devil Dogs last forever.
And are delicious!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Twinkies and Devil Dogs last forever because they contain a relatively large amount of preservatives. That has nothing to do with GMOs, which are plants (an animals) whose genetic structures have been altered to make them somehow more valuable. This could be higher yield, faster times to harvest, resistance to particular disease, drought tolerance, etc. Genetic modification achieves, in one step, what previously took years and generation of hybridization and selection can now be accomplished in a single step in the lab. As is the case with everything else, it has pros and cons. I hear from some people who say that if it's all natural, it's good. I remind them that botulism and poison mushrooms are "all natural."

As a couple others have said on here, it means that they used genetically modified food (GMO) as one of the ingredients.

Personally I don't have any issue with GMOs, a decent portion of the world population would starve if not for GMOs allowing crops to grow in areas they would otherwise not be able to grow, but many in the USA take issue, possibly with good reason (I don't know all the science despite having a Food Science degree) so believe it has to be listed on the label somewhere.

Last edited:
Interesting that this thread appeared on International Hybrid Appreciation Day. (Animals, not motor vehicles.)

Twinikies? Yes they last. That's because they suck.

Devil Dogs? Nope, they don't last in my house. That's because they're better!:p

As a couple others have said on here, it means that they used genetically modified food (GMO) as one of the ingredients.

Personally I don't have any issue with GMOs, a decent portion of the world population would starve if not for GMOs allowing crops to grow in areas they would otherwise not be able to grow, but many in the USA take issue, possibly with good reason (I don't know all the science despite having a Food Science degree) so believe it has to be listed on the label somewhere.
Well, yeah... like has been said, we've been genetically modifying food for eons... but didn't call it that. I know Europe is ahead of the US in identifying at least what is IN the food... all I get is a label saying "contains bioengineered food product":rolleyes:

But y'all are right. I don't want to know what it really is. The post was meant to be funny and the response did NOT disappoint!:D

Well, yeah... like has been said, we've been genetically modifying food for eons... but didn't call it that. I know Europe is ahead of the US in identifying at least what is IN the food... all I get is a label saying "contains bioengineered food product":rolleyes:

But y'all are right. I don't want to know what it really is. The post was meant to be funny and the response did NOT disappoint!:D

If you love sausage and respect the law, never watch either one being made.

I didn't know Devil Dogs were still a thing. I used to love them as a kid

Googled it...

Anyone who thinks "I have a bad job" should read up on this.

It's right up there with "Mr. Powdered Wolf Urine Starting Material Collector."

Last edited:
If you love sausage and respect the law, never watch either one being made.
Oh, I know how hot dogs are made. I've seen it on tv. That's why I prefer Hebrew National brand. At least it's all beef in those... sure, beef tongue, ears, lips, and bungholes, but beef! Whereas some other brands are just... assorted animal products.

Add a little mustard, and it's a good sammich! :eek: <-- NO! A hot dog isn't a sammich.:LOL:

Interesting that this thread appeared on International Hybrid Appreciation Day. (Animals, not motor vehicles.)
Or golf clubs...

Twinikies? Yes they last. That's because they suck.
Didn't used to. Used to be pretty darn tasty. But ever since the original Hostess went tango uniform they've been pretty mediocre. Same with Ding Dongs. I expect it's the same across the board.

Last edited:
Back