What is DJ's Ceiling?

Many of the great players of the game have made it clear that their goal was to win majors. Tiger has made that clear. I believe Jack made that clear. Many other players have made it clear that their goal was to win majors first and foremost.
Are we talking about talent, or about what means more to a player with regards to winning?

I'm happy to discuss both (in fact we had an awesome thread way back when about it), but in this case, I'm not sure it's a viable metric on talent alone.

I think he absolutely gets the Grand Slam. Now that the Masters is out of the way he is only getting more confident in my opinion. If Taylor Made ever lets him go they are insane barring some crazy personal stuff or something. Plus....if the putting gets better and better look out.
So basically, if he never tries to use a Truss agin..

Exactly, though didn't he win once with one at one point?
maybe 'despite' it hahaha

Would love to see him master the putter. I feel like watching guys who can't miss on the green is a lot more appealing to the casual fan, as that's where the result of the hole is ultimately defined. Making a bogey free four birdie 68 round look bad with 14 other greens with double putts is a weird but real thing.

I won't be shocked if he gets the career grandslam. If I was to bet he gets the PGA and another Masters and misses out on the British. I think he will get two more and end at 4. I won't be shocked if he is done though or if he pumps out 4 more and gets to 6. He's right at that age where either are on the table.

At 36 I won't be shocked if has an injury and falls off. I will also not be shocked if there just is too much comp to get another one. There are a lot of great young golfers right now.

I also won't be surprised with the way guys take care of themselves he is competing for majors until his mid 40s.

I think he has a chance from a wins perspective to reach Lee Trevino. Trevino has 29 total wins with 6 of those being majors and 1 being a Players championship. If he keeps up his one win a season he will blow the total wins out of the water and the only question is how many more majors does he win.

With two majors I feel like he can grab a couple of more, but never felt The Open set up well for him. It would not shock me if he slipped on the green jacket a couple of more times and added a PGA at some point.

I think if goes away from TM he's nuts because he is playing well with their gear. Also never let that Spyder leave the bag.

Are we talking about talent, or about what means more to a player with regards to winning?

I'm happy to discuss both (in fact we had an awesome thread way back when about it), but in this case, I'm not sure it's a viable metric on talent alone.

Well who was a greater talent, Nicklaus or Snead? Because Snead had many more pGA victories, but Jack has the majors title. And not many people (I don't think anyone ever) has said Snead was a better talent than Jack. Prettier swing, yes, but not a greater talent than Jack.

Wins are important, but I bet if you asked Tiger if he would rather have the PGA wins record or the major championships record, he would choose the latter.

DJ will take a couple of months off....then comeback to the tour and cruise the rest of his career. Once someone win their dream tournament they seem to be very content and the motivation vanishes....

Well who was a greater talent, Nicklaus or Snead? Because Snead had many more pGA victories, but Jack has the majors title. And not many people (I don't think anyone ever) has said Snead was a better talent than Jack. Prettier swing, yes, but not a greater talent than Jack.

Wins are important, but I bet if you asked Tiger if he would rather have the PGA wins record or the major championships record, he would choose the latter.
I wasn't around to see Nicklaus or Snead play in their prime. I cannot possibly have a legitimate personal opinion on that. My point was that winning a Major doesn't automagically make someone better or more talented than someone else. Is Mike Weir more talented than any golfer without a Major? It's the sum of all parts as far as I am concerned.

And to your second point, again, I think we're talking about two different things... What something means to someone, and the overall skill value on Major tournaments vs regular wins.

DJ will take a couple of months off....then comeback to the tour and cruise the rest of his career. Once someone win their dream tournament they seem to be very content and the motivation vanishes....
Who else has been like that?

I dont see him leaving taylormade, I believe he’s a lifer with them. I think he will end up with ~5 major wins (don’t think he gets grand slam, open championship will be the one he misses). Also think he ends up with 35-40 pga tour wins.
Do you mean the U.S. Open? Didn’t he basically give one of those away once?

He is 36 years old, so he is at peak for golf, or thereabouts. I think he gets another couple of majors and 8 to 10 more wins, which is certainly a hall of fame career. I don’t know that I would consider him an all time great.

10 more wins
Good chance at the Slam
He's not leaving Taylormade

Do you mean the U.S. Open? Didn’t he basically give one of those away once?

He's already won the US Open, I don't think he wins the British.

Well i certainly think he completes the career grand slam. I think that happens in the next two years. Ive also gotta think he ends up wellllll INSIDE the top 20 ever in wins on tour. Phil Mickelson has 44 wins.....and five majors. I think DJ eclipses both of those win totals.

30-35 wins easily. 40 isn't out of the realm of possibility. Of those 3-4 more majors are possible. Outside shot at the Career Grand Slam. The Open will be his hardest one to get. Never see him leaving TaylorMade unless something crazy happens.

Golf is a fickle game but I'lll guess that he will play another 8-9 years and get another 20 wins and 4 more majors to get to 6 total. Hard to imagine him not staying with Taylormade.

That would put him in elite company as the only men alive with more than 6 majors are Jack, Tiger, Player, and Watson.

If things you read and hear are true I would have already banned him, zero tolerance. Hope he can stay straight but have my doubts.

I wasn't around to see Nicklaus or Snead play in their prime. I cannot possibly have a legitimate personal opinion on that. My point was that winning a Major doesn't automagically make someone better or more talented than someone else. Is Mike Weir more talented than any golfer without a Major? It's the sum of all parts as far as I am concerned.

And to your second point, again, I think we're talking about two different things... What something means to someone, and the overall skill value on Major tournaments vs regular wins.

I think I get what you're saying - you're simply saying that DJ is a better athlete than Phil. I guess he probably is (he would priobably smoke him in basketball for example), but with that said, DJ is probably a much better athlete than Tiger as well. That doesn't mean he's a better golfer than either of those two.

When it is all said and done, in my view Phil will sit in the top-10 of all time greatest to ever play the game...DJ will not. Just my opinion.

I think D.J. will get to 35 wins, 5 majors and pass Phil to become 2nd on the all time money list. His in control attitude makes his game enjoyable to watch. If he was a better and more consistent as a putter his win total would go over 40.

I think DJ is a great putter now since he's touching his right arm before putting now. I'm surprised that his putting style has not been copies on tour.

Back