What is DJ's Ceiling?

Since he’s about 7ft tall with 8ft arms and likely has a sim setup, I’m gonna guess it at roughly 16ft, at least in his sim room.

Phil won his 3rd major at age 36. Dj just won his second at 36. And I do not think DJ is a better talent than Phil. Phil looks like he will finish his career with 5 majors, so for DjDj to get 1 or 2 more (aat most) seems about right.

I think we are in a post Tiger age of relative level playing field. I don’t think DJ is going to dominate. He probably wins one per year for another 6 or 7 years and is in the mix for majors. And this assumes he doesn’t give in to certain “distractions” anymore otherwise the numbers go down.
Exactly. When I see DJ, I think of what could have been (tthe two missed majors) and not what is to come. There are just so many great young golfers now it will be hard for him to win a whole lot more imo.

It's interesting, this perspective... Because if he'd done this year at age 29, I'd probably tend to agree... But this is now a relatively entrenched veteran in the game who is showing ONLY upside in his playing, with four wins in his last five months... That feels like a return to his 16/17/18 trend after a tough 2019, where he was winning 2-3 times a year and being totally relevant.

What about what he's done this year validates the idea that he'll only win once a year from here out?

I have no idea what DJ is going to end up with as far as wins.

I do think what ever he accomplishes, it will be in the 2-3 years before his game start going south on him. Next year will tell us more.

I do know one thing. His current ball striking is a pleasure to watch.

Phil won his 3rd major at age 36. Dj just won his second at 36. And I do not think DJ is a better talent than Phil. Phil looks like he will finish his career with 5 majors, so for DjDj to get 1 or 2 more (aat most) seems about right.
If we're going purely on age, Phil has about three more wins on DJ by the time he wrapped up 36.

While I can appreciate the idea that Phil is a wizard in some aspects of the game, I would have a really hard time accepting the idea that he has more talent (raw or golf) than DJ and I don't think it's particularly close.

Would be curious to know why you think that.

It's interesting, this perspective... Because if he'd done this year at age 29, I'd probably tend to agree... But this is now a relatively entrenched veteran in the game who is showing ONLY upside in his playing, with four wins in his last five months... That feels like a return to his 16/17/18 trend after a tough 2019, where he was winning 2-3 times a year and being totally relevant.

What about what he's done this year validates the idea that he'll only win once a year from here out?
For me it’s just that there are a lot of really good players and they are all going to have their moments, then you’ve got the young up and comers too.

For me it’s just that there are a lot of really good players and they are all going to have their moments, then you’ve got the young up and comers too.

This. I think DJ is already at his ceiling. Whether he remains there rests on the guys he competes against. If Bryson figures out this driver thing, or Rory learns to hit an iron consistently, or one of a million other scenarios, those guys will win many tournaments. DJ seems to win going away when he's firing on all cylinders. Can he beat one of these guys with his B game? It's difficult to maintain near perfect golf for long stretches.

This. I think DJ is already at his ceiling. Whether he remains there rests on the guys he competes against. If Bryson figures out this driver thing, or Rory learns to hit an iron consistently, or one of a million other scenarios, those guys will win many tournaments. DJ seems to win going away when he's firing on all cylinders. Can he beat one of these guys with his B game? It's difficult to maintain near perfect golf for long stretches.

-20 at Augusta. If he’s firing on all cylinders he’s the best golfer on the planet. He’s proven it many times. If he shows up there isn’t anyone that can beat him. Not Rory. Not BDC. No one.

What do I and DJ have in common? We both shot 2 consecutive rounds in the 80’s at Muirfield Village. Mine was 20ish years ago as a +2HC. I also played the member tees (6800-6900 IIRC). My companies CEO invited me to play. He wasn’t super happy with my play but to be fair that course is just stupid hard.

That’s it. I don’t have a Paulina.

the competition is definitely stiff out there, but couldn't that same argument be applied to this year? He flat out beat the field each win.

-19 ... -21 ... -30 ... -20

Those scores don't look like a guy who is in the right place at the right time. More like a guy who flat out says 'this is mine' and takes it, including all four final rounds 68 or better and only one of the four wins being even remotely close to second place. It looks more like a guy whose best is flat out better than most everyone else.

the competition is definitely stiff out there, but couldn't that same argument be applied to this year? He flat out beat the field each win.

Those scores don't look like a guy who is in the right place at the right time. More like a guy who flat out says 'this is mine' and takes it, including all four final rounds 68 or better and only one of the four wins being even remotely close to second place. It looks more like a guy whose best is flat out better than most everyone else.

and can we add it took a guy to shoot 64 to top him at the PGA championship. I'm not going to throw that one in the "he choked it away" category. He got outplayed, but shot a round that would have won just about every major the last 3-4 years if the leader had shot 2 under in the final round. That stuff happens, but it's clearly not common in recent history.

DJ can be a dominate force in the game. We've seen it. Multiple times.

Genuine question here. Why do you believe he is just getting his 2nd major right now?

Easy question first: TaylorMade continues to pay what they have to in order to keep one of the biggest hitters in golf using their stuff. Unless TM decides to radically change their club design philosophy and DJ hates it, he stays with TM.

Tougher question: I think he continues to win 1-3 events a year for probably the next 6-7 years. I could see him winning a couple more US Opens and/or another Masters, but I don't think he wins a Claret Jug or Wannamaker. Links golf seems to vex him quite a bit, and the PGA will continue to be a tournament where young guns pop off. Then again, if he plays any PGA Championship like he played Augusta this weekend, he's simply unbeatable. For the record, everyone can talk about his apathetic disposition, but I think the way he recovered after a couple bogeys on Sunday is proof that he really cares about playing winning golf.

DJ will probably be one of the most polarizing careers in modern golf. Nearly everyone will look back on his career and either say, "Wow, 15+ years with a win, ~4 major wins (I think his total will be 5, no grand slam) ~50 total wins, that's a spectacular career!" or they'll say, "For that much talent, less than 8 majors feels like a disappointment, insert commentary on 2010, 2015, etc."

and can we add it took a guy to shoot 64 to top him at the PGA championship. I'm not going to throw that one in the "he choked it away" category. He got outplayed, but shot a round that would have won just about every major the last 3-4 years if the leader had shot 2 under in the final round. That stuff happens, but it's clearly not common in recent history.

DJ can be a dominate force in the game. We've seen it. Multiple times.
good call. Not to mention his playoff loss to Rahmer in the BMW... So he's basically someone's career round and a putt away from four huge wins instead of two during an already impressive run.

Wowsa.

Genuine question here. Why do you believe he is just getting his 2nd major right now?
because Morikawa shot 64 :ROFLMAO:

I think Majors are a better argument for 'those who are hot' getting in his way, as we've seen in the past. Plenty of 2nd or T2 finishes at Majors in the past. But I've also never used Majors as a genuine metric for career success as a massively weighted component.

I think he gets 4-5 majors and possibly the career grandslam. I think he will also stay with Taylormade and get to around 35-40 wins.

I always thought DJ was a multiple time major winner. I have told my friends who follow the Tour closely I think his best is better than anyone else's for the last 2 or 3 years. He is a phenomenal driver of the ball and his lob wedge shot from 100-130 is possibly the most deadly shot on tour right now. He has a good but not great short game and he is a good but not great putter. His mental game is top notch and better than anyone i have seen except for Tiger in his prime.

As long as he stays healthy I think his ceiling is 1 or 2 more Masters, 1 more US Open, and 1 or 2 of the either Opens or PGA's. He will win 10-20 more other tournaments also. He seems to me like he will end up having about the same level of career as Phil Mickelson.

I think Majors are a better argument for 'those who are hot' getting in his way, as we've seen in the past. Plenty of 2nd or T2 finishes at Majors in the past. But I've also never used Majors as a genuine metric for career success as a massively weighted component.

Im not necessarily either, but in this instance, him winning one is genuinely causing a lot of feelings of even more dominance (he is certainly dominant).
The question I have, is with that said dominance, why only two? One could say hot golfer, but BAD last major wasn't hot going into the event according to many on THP. Jordan Spieth couldn't have been just "hot" during that epic run of majors, right?

How can a guy with this much skill only have "gotten hot" twice? Maybe just thinking out loud a bit.

Funny how a win makes the media shift its focus to "when he is on his game, can anyone beat him?"

Dustin
Rory
Rahm
Bryson
Tiger
JT

etc..

I was saying this over the weekend. He's definitely established himself as the best golfer in the post Tiger-domination era. He's at his ceiling now but who knows how long he can sustain., as long as he stays engaged (to championship golf, not Paulina) he'll be winning big tournaments.

Let's not forget it tools Mickelson until he was 35 to win his 2nd major.

Pebble Beach was horrible. Ok first time in the leaders position....we've seen plenty crash and burn in that spot.

Whistling...some people still say he was screwed there...but he did make that late charge to get in to the playoff(before being removed).

Chambers he hit two of the best shots of the tournament, and it came down to his weakest part of the game at the time and it just didn't work out. He got a touch unlucky where that ball stopped on the 2nd shot...but man he shouldn't have 3 jacked.

Got outplayed by Koepka at Shinnecock over the final 36 holes after playing great the first 36 holes.

My question is...when does the question stop?Can you believe he only has x majors? I mean can we look at Rory and say that? He hasn't won one in 6+ years.

I thought it was really interesting that despite winning a few times on tour this year, AND already having a Major under his belt, he was still openly nervous this Sunday. I'm kind of leaning a couple different ways with it though.

1 - He's opened up a bit about what's going on under that insanely calm exterior. The fact that he was nervous explains some of the play during the final round, but also shows impressive resolve to finish well under par once again.

2 - The Masters meant everything to him. If it's that kind of thing where the Green Jacket meant more than anything, I think it sets him up to have confidence going into basically any Major moving forward. He's got it, he's in the club, now the fun begins.
I genuinely feel like he has buttoned up a lot over the years because of all the negative publicity he has gotten. From the rumors about his early years on Tour to basically everyone calling him dumb. It has probably made him extremely self conscious about what he shares. He is just a human being after all. I thought his interview with Amanda Baliones after getting his jacket said it all. He couldn't speak literally. I understand he has created some of this bad press on himself, but there is nothing he can do about his nature and whether people think he is intelligent. I said it before too, he was ultra classy in not responding to the low blow that Koepka laid on him at the PGA. That right there dropped Koepka even lower down my list and raised DJ way up on mine. I am very happy for him right now and I hope he gets the chance to slam the door on a Koepka green jacket one of these years.

Let's not forget it tools Mickelson until he was 35 to win his 2nd major.

Pebble Beach was horrible. Ok first time in the leaders position....we've seen plenty crash and burn in that spot.

Whistling...some people still say he was screwed there...but he did make that late charge to get in to the playoff(before being removed).

Chambers he hit two of the best shots of the tournament, and it came down to his weakest part of the game at the time and it just didn't work out. He got a touch unlucky where that ball stopped on the 2nd shot...but man he shouldn't have 3 jacked.

Got outplayed by Koepka at Shinnecock over the final 36 holes after playing great the first 36 holes.

My question is...when does the question stop?Can you believe he only has x majors? I mean can we look at Rory and say that? He hasn't won one in 6+ years.
the one thing I think DJ has going for him is an upward trend in parts of his game that were major weaknesses in years past... So at least we're talking about more than just "oh it's the same golfer he's just playing well" it's more like "his work on the short game and a return to a familiar putter made all the difference here" which I think is critical.

I'm certainly not an apologist for his results in the past, but I'm also not talking knee jerk in this thread as I've been lauding DJ for some time hahaha... I've even got podcast proof after his last win in September.

Back