What is going through your mind when you are playing your very best golf?

Tenputt

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 4.9
Question says it. Curious to read what folks say.

A pretty equal combination of surprise and bemusement.

WWAD.......What would Austin Do?

Played my best 9 ever the other day... a lot of nothing going through my head during setup and shots, which probably helped a ton.

Get to ball hit ball and expect good results, minimal thinking involved.

Actually, very little conscious thought. I see the way players and caddies dissect on Tour every shot, and I could not play that way. Too many thoughts rattling around in my head.

Pick target. Commit to target. Swing. Accept the result and do it again.

Imagining every shot and getting pretty close to that as the result. Other than that, nothing. Zero swing thoughts when playing my best.

Not a lot of anything related to swinging the club. I decide on the shot and try to hit it.

On those occasions when everything is clicking, the rhythm in my head, body and swing blocks out any other noise in my mind. The 1-2-3 rhythm is what's going through my mind on every shot -- and nothing else. Just wish that I could do it every day.

A lot of “that’s alright!”. Acceptance of the outcome I guess, instead of thinking it could have been better.

not my mind but body. When I worked on my deck last summer in high humidity and agreed to play golf at the end of the week. I was so tired and dehydrated that I literally let the club just fall on the ball without trying to get extra . I've experience more pure and actually longer shots in practice when I totally let the club work.

Wheee!
banana.gif

Nothing. Just address ball and swing.

Nothing. When playing well I pick out a specific target, see a shot shape going to that target, and go.

Not a lot, maybe one small swing thought that just kinda happens that day, if that makes sense.

What hole am I on this scenario? If I'm playing golf on hole 9, what I'm thinking and what I'm able to control in my thoughts is far different than if I'm still playing well on 16. I really struggle to close a good round, cause I almost get too excited and then blow it.

Damn this is fun!

Normally when I think back at my great rounds, its like I am almost so focused the shot at hand that nothing else matters. I still have swing thoughts, yet they are all focused on that one shot. The round turns into a bit of a blur overall. Typing it out makes it sound like I should be able to do it all the time, but it doesn't happen.

Also thinking that I can make just about every putt I look at that day.......

I say to myself, do not look at score until you are done or you will jinx it.

Back