What is going through your mind when you are playing your very best golf?

Not so much a thought but when playing my best I almost feel like I’m in the zone or some similar feeling.

Calm and positive and kind of tune everything out.

Echoing a lot of what has already been written. My best rounds usually have come as a result of being relaxed, having few expectations, staying loose, having fun and being in the moment while also committed to each shot.

Most of my best rounds I didn’t even know what my score was until the end.

Typically my best rounds have come after I’ve been practicing a lot and I feel confident in my game so there are not a lot of mechanical thoughts going on while I’m playing.

My very best rounds generally involved some exceptional chipping and putting as well.

Focusing on the outcome too much doesn’t generally help unless I’m grinding to win a bet and the match is keeping me focused and in the moment.

When my mind starts to wander to other things or I begin to check out and just want the round to end, bad things happen to my score.

1. This is fun!
2. Don’t change anything.

Pretty much nothing. At least that all I can remember after the fact. I know I’m target focused. And my swing “just is”. No thoughts other than stay in this moment.

I shot by best round a couple of weeks ago of a 66 with 8 birdies. To be honest I wasn’t really thinking about a whole lot. Just seemed golf was incredibly easy and I kept thinking that. Other times of shooting under par I tended to think “don’t screw this up!!” But this time after I was 4 under on the front I thought “ man how low can I really go!!!!” And it seemed pretty low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All the options of how to play a particular shot go thru my head. But the last thing is TEMPO.

Nothing. When I start thinking is when everything goes downhill
This is chicken or egg scenario.
Truth is when not playing well or outright poor we eventually start thinking. Oh we can forgo the thinking at first but if the poor play continues we eventually and naturally start to think what we are doing wrong and try to correct.
People often suggest they play badly when they think. But its actually the bad play that brings on the thinking.
Not to say thinking too much first couldn't also spark poor play. But its usually the poor play that happens first which then ignites the thinking.

See target, swing cub.
After that:

Don’t screw it up

Nothing. Simple focus on the task at hand, and enjoying the ride knowing this game is fleeting.

Back