What is golf to you?

MichiganGripRip

Allegedly
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm sure there is a thread out there on this, but I didn't find it in a short search. And its 6am, and I just wanted to get this out there.
To me, golf is beyond a sport/game/hobby. In the small amount of time that I've been back into it I've gained new friends, grown closer with old ones and been able to develop a closer relationship with my grandfather.
What is golf to you?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Off the top of my head...

Fun
Challenge
Community
Exercise (mental and physical)
Friendship
Connection with nature
Treatment for depression :)

It’s my passion. It’s my addiction. It’s my place for calm and relaxation. Yes it’s a sport and it’s a game and the one thing that helps keep my individual competitive juices flowing.....but it’s also the one place me and like minded friends and family can go to truly enjoy each others company doing the one thing that binds is all together. It’s just special

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For 6 months each year, it’s the biggest part of my day other than sleeping with me averaging over 5 rounds each week plus lots of range and practice area time. I became a golf addict in 1978 and I still get just as excited to get to the course as I did then at age 13!

A great excuse to spend time outdoors with my son.

Golf to me is a great way to go outside and get some fun and relaxation in, along with exercise! It's a way for me and my dad to spend time together. It's for getting away for some alone time.

For me it is time to enjoy the outdoors and scenery of the course. A time to relax with good friends and challenge myself.

Right now: A headache that I pay for the pleasure of having.

Hard to explain. To d me even the name golf gives me peace of mind and the thought of past great times and firends and the promise of more to come. I know thats a bit deep but I actually don't play nearly as much as many THP'ers. Still I love everything about it.

Lucky to have 7-10 people I can text in a moments notice to Golf with including my older nephew. It's about listening to music, hanging with your friends/family/THPers, welcoming the challenge that the specific golf course provides, and just advance the ball.

You do that you're bound to have fun.

I would say that it has moved to borderline addiction status for me. This year, it seems that I am always thinking about it. I haven't played as much as I would like, and I think that is adding fuel to the fire. But, it is my outlet. My way of escaping the stresses of everyday life. Replacing them with golf stresses. It is my way of spending more time outside and with people I genuinely care about.

I would say that it has moved to borderline addiction status for me. This year, it seems that I am always thinking about it. I haven't played as much as I would like, and I think that is adding fuel to the fire. But, it is my outlet. My way of escaping the stresses of everyday life. Replacing them with golf stresses. It is my way of spending more time outside and with people I genuinely care about.
I'm 90% sure my wife is planning an intervention

It's my sporting addiction, plain and simple! I never knew how much I would miss it until I was forced to take the past 12 weeks off for surgical recovery.

Cool thread. My daughter asked me recently why I loved to play golf and it was hard to explain to her.

Love. Pain. Calm. Wild. Golf.

Golf has become a passion for me. When I was younger, it was something I liked but it is now something I immensely enjoy that I can’t imagine not being a part of my life. I love being outdoors, I love the feeling I get when I am in the zone. I love the people I play with regularly and the random people I meet on the course. The dew on the greens, the smells, watching the ball fly on a pure hit shot. When I was forced twice to give up the game with shoulder problems, I was miserable. I don’t get to play everyday, but I do think about the game daily.

Most people have something in their lives that they are inexplicably passionate about. My late mother loved the “Beatles” and they were a huge part of her life as a teen until leaving this world. My late stepmother loved veterans and spent every waking moment serving veterans organizations, though she never served in the military. There are surfers that are inexplicably drawn to the waves. There are Parrotheads that gather monthly and have annual retreats just to be around others that like Jimmy Buffett music. There are Jeep clubs, Disney fanatics, Cubs’ fans, Dead Heads, Trekkies, hunting clubs and so many other groups made up of people that have a past time that doesn't make sense to others; something that people just don’t understand why it brings them joy and they cannot easily explain why they are so dedicated to a hobby.

That is why it was so cool when I stumbled into this place looking for info on a golf ball. I had heard of other people that were crazy about the game, but never knew so many gathered in one place. I am sure that not everyone here is addicted to the game, but it is cool to know that there are others like me. Well, maybe not exactly like me, but with a identical love for this wonderful past time.

2nd to my wife....golf is my passion.

Golf is my main social activity. It also can be where I escape for solitude.
There is no end to improvement, so it will always have my interest.
I don't always like the results, but I enjoy the test and taking my shots.

Golf is relaxation and exercise. It is also social, where I play with many of my neighbors. It is also, a few weeks out of the year, when I can get together with my brother. And once the tight schedule of his work abates, when I can get together with my son.

Enjoyable agony.

To me, golf is a spiritual experience. Theres so many ways that it can go wrong but when it all goes right, its downright magical. Infact, golf is what got me into studying Buddhism because there are so many parallels between golf and Zen.

To me, golf is a spiritual experience. Theres so many ways that it can go wrong but when it all goes right, its downright magical. Infact, golf is what got me into studying Buddhism because there are so many parallels between golf and Zen.
Almost sounds like a class at a liberal arts college. But I get the concept. I play two sports that share some key points but couldn't be further from each other in Hockey and Golf. For all the violence in hockey, there is the serenity of golf. A Yin and Yang if you will.

Back