What is pro and con having loft weaken

scottmti

Passionate Hacker
Reaction score
Handicap
I’m thinking getting my Z765 loft weaken 2* I’m trying to get little more height on my long irons. Hopefully easier to hit.
I kind a understand that it will effect a bounce of the iron but I’m not sure what effect it will have in my game.
Can someone explain in detail what exactly can happen with extra added bounce on long and mid iron? I leave in Los Angeles and most of time fairway is pretty hard so I’m concern it might have too much bounce. I am not a heavy digger just clipper. Just want to know before I have it adjusted.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You've pretty much got it. In theory, the added loft will launch the ball higher with more spin. Whether that means more or less distance depends on the person entirely. The added bounce may make it harder to hit in your environment, but the V sole of the 765's might be able to help there. The beauty in having a forged head adjusted is that you can just get it re-bent back to your previous specs if you find you don't like it.

I’m thinking getting my Z765 loft weaken 2* I’m trying to get little more height on my long irons. Hopefully easier to hit.
I kind a understand that it will effect a bounce of the iron but I’m not sure what effect it will have in my game.
Can someone explain in detail what exactly can happen with extra added bounce on long and mid iron? I leave in Los Angeles and most of time fairway is pretty hard so I’m concern it might have too much bounce. I am not a heavy digger just clipper. Just want to know before I have it adjusted.

Thanks

What shafts do you have in your irons currently?

What shafts do you have in your irons currently?

I have C taper lite in R. 105g
I also have CF16 with XP95 Stiff but I have to problem hitting it high.
I really want to play Z765. It feel so soft and it just feels right.
My brain tells me CF16 but my heart say Z765. lol

If all else fails, a shaft swap might do the trick! Just an idea, as personally I would swap shafts before I go bending heads. If weight at 105 is a concern, XP105 is a good option if it gets to that point.

are you happy with your current swing?

If all else fails, a shaft swap might do the trick! Just an idea, as personally I would swap shafts before I go bending heads. If weight at 105 is a concern, XP105 is a good option if it gets to that point.

I was thinking swapping it with XP95 also.
Isn’t c taper lite suppose to be a high launching shaft also? It does launch lower than CF16 w/xp95 but I figure it has to with CF16 head design. Cheaper to bend it weak but I am def thinking of shaft change as last resort.

are you happy with your current swing?

Nope. I don’t have other swing. lol
My swing can be erratic sometimes but it gets job done. Always looking to improve ofcourse.

I was thinking swapping it with XP95 also.
Isn’t c taper lite suppose to be a high launching shaft also? It does launch lower than CF16 w/xp95 but I figure it has to with CF16 head design. Cheaper to bend it weak but I am def thinking of shaft change as last resort.

It really depends on the person, I'd classify CTL as an upper-mid launching shaft. The order of launch from low to high would usually go CTL > XP105 > XP95. The difference is really in the heads you have, 765 vs CF16, are contrasting as much as, if not more than, the shafts which is creating that one combo too high and the other too low, you have to find that "Goldilocks zone". I'd hazard a guess if you straight swapped out those shafts into the other heads, you'd have a battle on your hands for the bag.

Nope. I don’t have other swing. lol
My swing can be erratic sometimes but it gets job done. Always looking to improve ofcourse.

reason I ask is two fold:

If you're happy then you're not going to change anything and the only option to see height is to use different shafts.

If you're not happy with your swing, then I would say dont change any equipment yet until you find out the reason for the lower ball flight?

reason I ask is two fold:

If you're happy then you're not going to change anything and the only option to see height is to use different shafts.

If you're not happy with your swing, then I would say dont change any equipment yet until you find out the reason for the lower ball flight?

It’s true that it’s in my head. I’m working on it. It seems like I’m trying to hard when I have long iron in my hand.
I think I’m gonna have 5i loft weaken and try it out.

i would strongly consider shaking up the top end of your bag to put a club in with more design elements to encourage launch. i'm not saying shafts can't change anything, but heads usually make a bigger difference.

someone correct me: doesn't a sweeper tend to do best with narrow soles, and a digger with wider soles? if he's a sweeper, increasing the bounce may work against him.

i would also be concerned about gapping when adding loft. it may go higher, but may not cover the distance you need.

It’s true that it’s in my head. I’m working on it. It seems like I’m trying to hard when I have long iron in my hand.
I think I’m gonna have 5i loft weaken and try it out.

I was the same way, most recently with rtx3 wedges. Started off great with them then a couple months later it was missiles from the middle of the fairway and no yardage. Ended up being the my aoa into the ball along with too soft of shaft for my tempo. Before you weaken I would suggest what was offered to me: check your divots, check your grip, check your turn. One if not all three are off. Mentally you will be aware of the change and try to alter your swing to get the desired result.

i would strongly consider shaking up the top end of your bag to put a club in with more design elements to encourage launch. i'm not saying shafts can't change anything, but heads usually make a bigger difference.

someone correct me: doesn't a sweeper tend to do best with narrow soles, and a digger with wider soles? if he's a sweeper, increasing the bounce may work against him.

i would also be concerned about gapping when adding loft. it may go higher, but may not cover the distance you need.

Yes. My main concern is bounce since I am located in dry weather area. Distance gap is one of the concern but it’s not major concern.
I played weaker loft iron and didn’t notice massive distance lost.

Yes. My main concern is bounce since I am located in dry weather area. Distance gap is one of the concern but it’s not major concern.
I played weaker loft iron and didn’t notice massive distance lost.

Just my humble opinion, but before purchasing the Srixons you may want to check out the Ben Hogan PTX's. They offer 4 different loft configurations, and their soles are very similar to the Srixons. The people who have these clubs in their bags absolutely rave about them. A great forged offering.

https://benhogangolf.com/products/ptx-irons?variant=44991081738

Just my humble opinion, but before purchasing the Srixons you may want to check out the Ben Hogan PTX's. They offer 4 different loft configurations, and their soles are very similar to the Srixons. The people who have these clubs in their bags absolutely rave about them. A great forged offering.

https://benhogangolf.com/products/ptx-irons?variant=44991081738

Thanks but I already have Srixon.
I want to keep Srixon. I have never felt anything so good. lol
It just feels right. Results might not be but it’s so addictive.

Sorry, sir. I must've misread. I thought you were considering them. I was lucky enough to have demo'd both the Srixon and the Hogans. I really liked them both. Game those Srixons. You'll love them.

I would just get different clubs. Messing with the loft changes the design of the club and I dont think it is a very good idea generally.

I would just get different clubs. Messing with the loft changes the design of the club and I dont think it is a very good idea generally.

I got this idea from looking at i210 in standard loft vs retro loft.
Figure it’s ok for oem to do it why not us. I heard the bounce does increase compare to standard vs retro.

I got this idea from looking at i210 in standard loft vs retro loft.
Figure it’s ok for oem to do it why not us. I heard the bounce does increase compare to standard vs retro.

There's nothing wrong with tweaking the lofts on your irons.

Back