What is the best swing solution you have ever figured out - on your own?

Not listening to my flight partners giving me swing advice (especially the high handicappers)

Hard to explain but basically this:

Video is terrible quality but illustrates the breakthrough I had

YES! Someone posted a video from "Athletic Motion Golf" illustrating this concept exactly! My buddy also mentioned something like this to me during the Summer. He said, "Hey, I think I've figured something out. We need to get our hands "out here" rather than "back there". Because when you get your hands "back there" you wind up with the club stuck behind you, and you wind up flipping, early extending, or throwing it over the top just to get the clubhead back to the ball. I improved my driving almost immediately incorporating this idea during a round!

Now, I'll be the first to admit that I did not work very hard on my game this past season. I need to transfer this idea to my approach game, which was not good last year. Come to think of it, this hearkens back to a pitching and chipping tip my buddy gave me a few years ago. I had gotten into the bad habit of s******g short chips and anything less than a full wedge pitch shot. After yet another s***k, he told me that he could see what I was doing, but he'd only tell me if I wanted him to. Are you kidding me? Tell me! He said he couldn't tell if I was just getting tired or lazy, but I wasn't turning my shoulders at all, and flipping my arms, and the club, behind me. And, with no lower body movement at all in the swing, I was basically throwing the hosel at the ball!

And come to think of it, Harvey Penick mentions this in his Little Red Book. He wrote about a clinic that he and another instructor were giving, where the other instructor mentions how he likes golfers who keep their arms in front of their chests during the swing. Now, at 69, I;m not nearly as flexible as I was 30, 40, 50 years ago, but I figure with what flexibility I have left, if I can get my arms in the right place, I can strike the ball better.

Last edited:
To keep my lead arm straight.

What has been the most helpful solution you have ever figured out (on your own) for a golf swing issue that had been bugging you...???
The best solution is that there is no solution. Everything is always a work in progress and always will be and thats OK. Golf becomes a lot easier to figure out when you stop trying to figure it all out and just show up with the swing that you have that day and do your best with it.
Take anyone who has ever played golf, even the best players in the world never really figure it out. The best may find it for a short time but even the best lose their way from time to time.

As Bob Rotella said, "golf is not a game of perfect!"

Embrace my really short backswing and roll with it.

I tried making my backswing longer a couple years ago and totally wrecked my game. I started reverting back to my old shorter swing and I started playing so much better.

RELAX

That I play much better when I’m not under the influence.

The hands move back and up on a line parallel to he ball/target line during the backswing and retrace this line during the forward swing. To do this correctly the focus needs to be on the hands not on the arms. This was Abe Mitchell's advice in the 1930's about the professional swing.
A simple solution is at address,a) point the spine behind the left heel. b) elevate the left shoulder about an inch...now take the BS.

a) sets the right hip as the pivot for BS
b) allows for natural protraction of the left scapula for so called, "Width"

So far, the best solution has been to stop listening to amateurs telling others who they've never seen swing a club what they have to do. Suggestions, opinions and ideas are great and are much appreciated. Absolutes are often ridiculous and useless when it comes to the golf swing.

Razaar,
I am confused. Your post in the past always indicated that the HANDS played very little part in the golf swing. Why the sudden change in your last post. Did Abe Mitchell have it correct back years ago ?

What has been the most helpful solution you have ever figured out (on your own) for a golf swing issue that had been bugging you...???

Take a look at the fundamentals, often something very minor caused the issue on the golf course.
The great Jack Nicklaus did it before the opening of every season.
I want to say 90%+ of the issues we are experiencing , were caused by improper application of the fundamentals.
I would give tips to some guys I golf with to fix their issue, often it's the alignment or the path going through the golf ball, something really trivial. So they hit the golf balls really good on the driving range after the tip, then, two weeks later, I'd see them doing the same old routine.
Always go back to the fundamentals !

didn't really figure it out my own but in my case, it was/is my swing is my swing.

I have read how these ” fundamentals “ of proper stance , proper grip, proper alignment , proper swing path are the most important things to get correctly since I started playing 50 years ago . I have seen millions of players whose “ fundamentals “ are as good as anyone on Earth , but can’t break 100.
Those “ fundamentals “ will help your game very little, but knowing that the only connection with your body and the implement you have chosen to perform this task is your dominant “ hands” is what I consider as a critical “ fundamental !” And - a basic knowledge of how the human hands are genetically designed to perform is a major key to a successful golf swing. Understanding this puts you on a fast track to improvement .
Example - Fuzzy Zoeller had awful posture and stance . Did he win win 19 PGA events -2 majors ?

I have read how these ” fundamentals “ of proper stance , proper grip, proper alignment , proper swing path are the most important things to get correctly since I started playing 50 years ago . I have seen millions of players whose “ fundamentals “ are as good as anyone on Earth , but can’t break 100.
Those “ fundamentals “ will help your game very little, but knowing that the only connection with your body and the implement you have chosen to perform this task is your dominant “ hands” is what I consider as a critical “ fundamental !” And - a basic knowledge of how the human hands are genetically designed to perform is a major key to a successful golf swing. Understanding this puts you on a fast track to improvement .
Example - Fuzzy Zoeller had awful posture and stance . Did he win win 19 PGA events -2 majors ?
To each his own and I am glad what works for your swing works for you. That is good for you and hope you continue to enjoy the game. The thing is, it doesn't work for others that are different than you.

IMO course management has more to do with breaking 100 than dominant hands and knowledge of genetics ever will. The short game often is the key. People with pulls, pushes, outside, inside, and all types of swings often break 100, 90, 80s, and even playing in the 70s, so a basic knowledge and understanding of human genetics has not been a major key or fast tracked them to their successful golf swings.

I know several that play in the 70s and could care less about hand dominance or human genetics. I have asked them on occasion and they will often say, why bother with that stuff at all? One I play with has a very upright style swing and he scores in the 70s. Another I play with his swing is more horizontal styled and he scores in the 70s. Both are very different golfers.

I played with a young guy that is right at scratch and his basic thing was good setup position and repeatable swing for stability and always play to a target area and keep the mental stuff at bay. Out of these three golfer genetics or dominant hands meant absolutely nothing to them.

To each his own and I am glad what works for your swing works for you. That is good for you and hope you continue to enjoy the game. The thing is, it doesn't work for others that are different than you.

IMO course management has more to do with breaking 100 than dominant hands and knowledge of genetics ever will. The short game often is the key. People with pulls, pushes, outside, inside, and all types of swings often break 100, 90, 80s, and even playing in the 70s, so a basic knowledge and understanding of human genetics has not been a major key or fast tracked them to their successful golf swings.

I know several that play in the 70s and could care less about hand dominance or human genetics. I have asked them on occasion and they will often say, why bother with that stuff at all? One I play with has a very upright style swing and he scores in the 70s. Another I play with his swing is more horizontal styled and he scores in the 70s. Both are very different golfers.

I played with a young guy that is right at scratch and his basic thing was good setup position and repeatable swing for stability and always play to a target area and keep the mental stuff at bay. Out of these three golfer genetics or dominant hands meant absolutely nothing to them.
Luchnia- please explain how I am “different “ than other humans? Most normal humans I see every day have the same joints in the same places as mine. We all seem to walk the same way . We all use our “ dominant hands “ to perform millions of task daily that are embedded in our subconscious mind . We all pick up a coffee cup the same way . We all throw objects the same way .
What is the difference ?

Apparently, when it comes to golf, I can't figure anything out on my own. I listen a lot, try a lot, hasn't worked well.

Backswing doesn't work - viewed a Dr. Kwon video last night on backswing - that may work.

Apparently, when it comes to golf, I can't figure anything out on my own. I listen a lot, try a lot, hasn't worked well.

Backswing doesn't work - viewed a Dr. Kwon video last night on backswing - that may work.
Desmond- with all due respect to a tip notch Biomechanics expert , I don’t give any credit or any time to any instructor who never mentions the role the hands play in the golf swing - the humans dominant hands are genetically designed to perform and ruin any chance we have for a successful shot at the very start of the DS . They will always roll over, turn down as they are genetically designed unless we teach them to perform this “ thingie “ called a golf swing in a totally opposite manner which is totally opposite and foreign to it‘s human design.
It was even ignored after the great Ben Hogan stated as much .

Desmond- with all due respect to a tip notch Biomechanics expert , I don’t give any credit or any time to any instructor who never mentions the role the hands play in the golf swing - the humans dominant hands are genetically designed to perform and ruin any chance we have for a successful shot at the very start of the DS . They will always roll over, turn down as they are genetically designed unless we teach them to perform this “ thingie “ called a golf swing in a totally opposite manner which is totally opposite and foreign to it‘s human design.
It was even ignored after the great Ben Hogan stated as much .

He does talk about the arms but I haven't heard anything about the hands. I've been to many instructors and Kwon at least doesn't talk positions that much in the few vids I've seen. I'm looking for a swing that offers speed and consistency that my body allows. The hips spinning thing is not comfortable.

He does talk about the arms but I haven't heard anything about the hands. I've been to many instructors and Kwon at least doesn't talk positions that much in the few vids I've seen. I'm looking for a swing that offers speed and consistency that my body allows. The hips spinning thing is not comfortable.
If you care to observe amazing discoveries by a famous Neurologist, Dr. Wayne Penfield , who established cortical Homunculus - ( The Little Man ) you will notice the disproportionate size of the HANDS and HEAD to the rest of the body . The “ arms , legs and lower body are very small compared to those two very “ DOMINANT PARTS “ .
Yes - the arms and hands are “ slaves “ to each other, but the hands are dominant . They instruct the arms as to their intent without question. The arms are NOT attached to the grip/ butt of the shaft. Only the hands are and the arms and body will “ always position themselves to accommodate the path the hands desire without questioning.
AND - our hands are genetically designed to bring food to our mouths ( dominant right thumb rotating 270 degrees CCW at the very start of our DS from the top ) - not to rotate “ CW “ from the very top as they must be taught . Most great players perform this task very well even though they might not know the genetics involved. EXCEPT - when they get under pressure and their “ dominant right hand and thumb “ are not controlled properly - watch out left !

If you care to observe amazing discoveries by a famous Neurologist, Dr. Wayne Penfield , who established cortical Homunculus - ( The Little Man ) you will notice the disproportionate size of the HANDS and HEAD to the rest of the body . The “ arms , legs and lower body are very small compared to those two very “ DOMINANT PARTS “ .
Yes - the arms and hands are “ slaves “ to each other, but the hands are dominant . They instruct the arms as to their intent without question. The arms are NOT attached to the grip/ butt of the shaft. Only the hands are and the arms and body will “ always position themselves to accommodate the path the hands desire without questioning.
AND - our hands are genetically designed to bring food to our mouths ( dominant right thumb rotating 270 degrees CCW at the very start of our DS from the top ) - not to rotate “ CW “ from the very top as they must be taught . Most great players perform this task very well even though they might not know the genetics involved. EXCEPT - when they get under pressure and their “ dominant right hand and thumb “ are not controlled properly - watch out left !

Oh, I am using my hands. My son goes to an instructor that teaches along the lines you advocate. It's an easier golf swing and one that promotes speed. The problem is the start of the backswing. I always started with the hands moving first. but Kwon may have an easier method - hands may move slightly but the start is body driven. Seems to take the inconsistency out of the backswing and makes it smoother. Experimenting b/c nothing is working and this seems to work to begin a BS

Here is a question for the swing experts. Does the torso move the arms, or do the arms move the torso? Those that know the bio-mechanics of the golf swing will more than likely know the answer.

Best thing that I’ve figured out…is I have to get long on my back swing (slower and think going back versus rotating) and also keeping my rt elbow tucked once I start my down swing. Helps me strike ball better and keep my old girlfriend (Miss Hozzel Rockett) at home.

Here is a question for the swing experts. Does the torso move the arms, or do the arms move the torso? Those that know the bio-mechanics of the golf swing will more than likely know the answer.
The hub moves the rim not the other way around. The motive power comes from within to withotut on all shots including the putt. The hands and forearms control the clubface while the wrists are the medium that delivers the power to the clubhead generated by the large muscles of the legs, pelvis and torso.

Last edited:
Back