What is the best swing solution you have ever figured out - on your own?

jpgolf

“JP”
Reaction score
Handicap
What has been the most helpful solution you have ever figured out (on your own) for a golf swing issue that had been bugging you...???

Does bending irons count?

If so, I had a couple irons bent flat and it’s been absolutely game-changing!

For irons, taking the club away from the body out towards right field, not along the target line.

moving right hip back as initial swing thought.

I hate to admit it.... but, I often am one to want to hit it HARD....and I tend to snatch it quickly. It’s a lesson I tend to learn over and over - and that is SLOW IT DOWN!!!

To fight a slide or sway on the takeaway, I focused on keeping pressure on the inside of my right (trail) foot.

I've figured out a lot of things, trouble is they usually only work for that day. Everything else, well, that's what qualified eyes are for.

A long long time ago...I was struggling with driving the ball and specifically get my left side out of the way. I had broken my left ankle years before and I struggled with the proper downswing action. So, one day on the range I figured I'd just start with my left side out of the way. I flared my left foot, opened my stance and just swung down the line. Eureka! I hit a nice power fade for a few years that way.

That I don’t have the answers and I need a lesson. I’ve found bandaid solutions, but nothing that generated long-term success on the course.

I went to the range one time and couldn't get a ball off the grounds. Worm burner after worm burner! What's going on? I turned and got the Sun behind me so i could see my shadow and took a practice swing. I was shoving my head targetward during the downswing, which is a death move! Took a couple more practice swing keeping my head steady, and then hit a ball. Up in the air!

After losing my shots out to the right for a while, I figured out that I was fanning the blade open as I took it away. I let my body rotate back and kept the face in a better spot.

Every day on the practice range produces a new swing solution to what plagues my swing during that session. My practice sessions are mainly focused on problem solving and awareness. There is always something that needs addressing.

Dragging my driver the first foot of takeaway and getting my left shoulder under my chin....really helps me keep it straight!!!

It has to do with the hands--how to keep them from turning. Everything changed when I realized that it is anatomically impossible for the hands to turn. The hands turn because the forearms turn, and that is not a trivial difference. My grip changed to one that is based on the way my arms are built. When my forearms are in a neutral position, not turned one way or the other, the result is a strong left-hand grip and a neutral right-hand grip. Then I developed a swing based on the feeling of the forearms staying neutral, i.e., not turning at all, and with those two things the clubhead stays square and the ball goes very straight.

I spent years trying to figure out how to keep my hands from turning and this was the solution.

I can't say I figured anything out but have developed/identified feels for aspects of the swing that helped me implement coaching directed changes. With working to shallow the club on the downswing, I have needed to make lead wrist adjustments at impact. It is subtle change and harder than I expected. The other day I realized a different way to think about what I want to do. If I put my left arm out, I can rotate my forearm. That feel clicked. If I think about how my forearm is "rotated" at impact I can better control my lead wrist at impact. For me swing is all about these kinds of feels, and sometimes I "figure out" different ways of feeling my body in motion that helps.

I was fighting a nasty hook with my irons. All I had to do was steepen my takeaway and boom solved! I had a nasty slice and inconsistent strikes with my driver and realized I wasn’t keeping the arm going across my body straight. Once I kept it straight I was a fairway finding machine

Hard to explain but basically this:

Video is terrible quality but illustrates the breakthrough I had

Hard to explain but basically this:

Video is terrible quality but illustrates the breakthrough I had

The hands move back and up on a line parallel to he ball/target line during the backswing and retrace this line during the forward swing. To do this correctly the focus needs to be on the hands not on the arms. This was Abe Mitchell's advice in the 1930's about the professional swing.

Last edited:
One summer, I had a roommate who was big into golf, and he wanted to go to Top Golf every weekend. At the time I was pretty indifferent to golf. I played maybe once a year and never practiced. But Top Golf's a lot of fun, so I'd go and beat some balls there anyway.

Through raw trial and error, I found that keeping my head down and still and my left arm straight produced some pretty consistent shots. Fast forward 3 years, I'm practicing and playing a whole lot more now, but that basic approach still will get me back on track if my irons crap out.

Cured my 'medium/short' pitch/chip shanks just by tweaking my shoulder alignment at address. Found out that if I place too much weight pressure on my lead leg at address, my upper body naturally closes my shoulder line while trying to keep in balance. Therefore my shoulders were aligned way right of target and that's why I was shanking , too much in to out club path.

On the takeaway- push away with the left arm not pull with the right arm.

I stopped worrying about how my arms looked on the back and downswing.
I should only focus on rotating my hips correctly and everything else will come instinctively.

This absolutely changed my driving overnight

Back