What is the best value in golf?

Grins

AMDG
Reaction score
Handicap
20ish
I started this thread as part of the Regional Rivalry signup process. There are lots of ways to answer this or even to consider this question. What I mean is:

What is the one thing a golfer could buy that would have the greatest impact on improving scores for the biggest number of people?

For me, I think hands down it was spending $50 for a 45 minute SPi putting lesson from Chris Carfangia (a sliver certified SeeMore SPi instructor at Pine Lakes GC in Hubbard OH). The lesson (which probably went 90 minutes - Chris is that passionate about what he's doing that we just kept going!) changed me from a below-average putter who always had 2 or more 3-putts in a round and hardly any 1-putts, to someone who rarely 3-putts and expects to make every putt from inside 1 feet, and who now routinely drains at least one putt from long range.

I would estimate that this alone dropped 2-4 strokes off my handicap in the last 2 years. I also feel that most people would benefit similarly from taking putting lessons (specifically SPi, but probably from any good teaching pro who is a good putter). It's been said before on the SeeMore thread, but you don't have to use a SeeMore putter to benefit from learning the SPi techniques - they work for any putter.

So what do you think is the best value in golf?

For me and while its vague from a performance standpoint it is lessons to help me get where i want to be and have more fun.

The Albatross Club and its not close.
THP Events would be a close second when people look at what comes with the entry. Its far more than just golf.

I would say lessons are where money can be spent to help get improvements but with that gies the time and dedication to work on what was taught in the lesson.

For improving your game...lessons from a respected golf professional who KNOWS the swing.

Alignment sticks.

Any one of Dr. Bob Rotella's books.

Cleveland/Srixon equipment.

One of the things I would say it has to be what JB said, Albatross Club. I say this for 1 reason. When/If I get into a THP event the pressure is now on me to improve my game that travels.
Another would sim time in the winter.

Putting lessons. I thought I was too good to need them but boy was I wrong.

Alignment sticks.
Big Bang for little buck.. Plus in the winter I can use them for the snow plow guy..

I try to use them for every practice...for alignment, forced carry on chips & pitches.. Putting practice.. Hard to beat this answer..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lessons with a PGA Professional

The best value in golf to me is that it is the only remaining sport or game that I can play that will not kill me.

Great responses and hard to argue with any of them. I guess with lessons the only thing that makes them valuable is if you actually dedicate yourself to improving your game. I wonder how many golfers go at it half-heartedly, or think there's a magic swing tip that will instantly make them better.

And the Albatross Club memberships kind of go along with this thought: Once you truly decide to invest in your game, it forces you to do things differently.

Back