What is the dumbest shot you took last round?

c0ncept

SFT
Reaction score
Handicap
Life
I was just going over the round I played on Saturday and one shot in particular stuck out to me as a "What were you thinking!?" moment.

I came up short on an uphill par 3 and was on a decently steep upslope with a bunker between me and the pin. I got it in my head that I should open the clubface and take a full swing. I literally hit the ball a total of 10 feet straight up in the air. Normally I would have just kept the face square using the slope to get in the air. I ended up trying to do it again, did the same thing, and ended up with a triple.

Was there a shot last time you played that looking back you would have played differently?

Curious to hear what people remember/regret about a particular shot.

Dumbest shot I played last round I was trying to get out of jail too aggressively and trying for birdie instead of par. Trees are 90% air, they say, but I challenged that notion trying to cut a ball it about 30 yards in front of me. Well, I found a damn solid piece of the 10% and the ball came right back at me. Ended up taking a double and ruining any chance I had at under par that round.

Hitting driver on the narrow but short par 5. I refuse to learn my lesson.

Knew it at the time, but was short sided on a pin, green was running away from me and instead of using the Texas wedge and putting it, I tried to chip it with my 50* and it ran 20' past the pin. Led to a double bogey and a really poor finish to what had been a decent round. Stupid is the best description for that decision.

I tried to hit a fade 3w from 260 out with death on both sides of the green. I was on the right side of the fairway with some trees between me and the pin, which is why I needed to fade it a little. It didn't end well. I started the ball on my intended target about 30 yds left of the green, and turned it over about 10yds farther left. OB city.

Haha nice thread.

I was double bogey free until 16. The #1 handicap hole on the course, a 412 yard dog leg left. You can't hit driver unless you can simply control a draw. If you miss left you're OB, if you miss right your in tree trouble, if you hit it dead straight you're in tree trouble.

I hadn't hit my FW all day so I took driver despite knowing it was the wrong club to hit off the tee. I even bailed out right since I didn't want to go left and when I got to my ball I was barely in play just in front of the street. Punched out with 7i. 9i came up short. Chip was ok. Missed the bogey putt. Double.

The hole screams for a FW or Hybrid off the tee, I've done it in the past so many times, and honestly a bogey on this hole feels like a Par, I've never seen anyone birdie this hole.

Poor course management and club selection. DUMB!! :act-up:

I have a tendency to always go for it, so last round I was 200 from the green with a carry over the water at 170. Instead of playing for a bogey and laying up from a deep rough to give me a 100 or shorter approach shot, I, of course, thought go for it with my 5W. Naturally into the water and in the end it was a triple bogey on the score card.

Smoked a drive and had 111 left. Downhill lie and below my feet. Bladed the hell out of it long of the green and into a smaller wooded area. Lead to a triple. Ugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My dumb shot was preceded by a poor shot.
Hit a poor drive that I was certain landed near a couple trees. Looked and looked and looked. Lost it. Had 196 to a back pin after taking a drop. Was so upset, I didn't think about the fact I had wind at my back, and it was a back pin. Subsequently sent my ball 25 yards over the green on a green where going past the pin is death. 4 shots to get down from there. Let my frustration lead to playing a shot with no thought put into it. dumba**

I tried to hit a fade 3w from 260 out with death on both sides of the green. I was on the right side of the fairway with some trees between me and the pin, which is why I needed to fade it a little. It didn't end well. I started the ball on my intended target about 30 yds left of the green, and turned it over about 10yds farther left. OB city.
No Laying Up. Love it!

Pushed my drive a bit, so my second shot was sitting at the bottom of a small dirt pile. Instead of wedging it back into the fairway, I tried a hero shot with a 5 iron. Yep, scudded the shot about 30 yards ahead into a fairway bunker - - ended up with a triple bogey. :angry:

tried to advance the ball forward through heather with a 6I. Ball moved forward maybe 2 feet then had to punch out almost sideways with a wedge

EFFING IDIOT

Last edited:
I took a really aggressive line with the driver into the wind over water. I hit the ball well but the wind won.

I tried a flop shot off a super tight lie over a bunker and chunked it into the bunker and made double after being only 35 yards from the flag after 2 on a 546 yard par 5.

Hit a beautiful drive, followed by a beautiful 5-wood to end up just short right of the green on a par 5. No big deal, plenty of green to work with.

I started thinking..."hit this ball right there.....and watch it roll in for eagle." I could already see myself high-fiving my group. I should have been thinking, "get this anywhere on the green, two putt at worst and be thrilled with your par."

I chunked the chip and barely moved the ball. Then in frustration at my stupidity, I bladed the ball over the green. I took double.

I tried to go up and over a tree as opposed to punching around it. It’s not a bad play mid season when things are going well, but for the first round of the year where I am struggling to elevate anything, just dumb.

Hit the best drive of the day - 285 up hill dead center of the fairway on a 500 yard par 5 8th hole. Had to try going for the green in 2, I've only been within 15 yards of this green in 2 once about 7 years ago when I still carried a 3 wood.

I hit my Heavenwood (which I later hit 225 on a flat hole) and pulled it left & OB... really sort of derailed the round, though I did par 4 holes on the back 9.

when i practiced the day before the round, I did not hit the Gap Wedge. When I warmed up the morning of the round, I did not hit the gap wedge. Up until the approach shot on the 18th hole, I did not hit the gap wedge.

I had about 85 yards to the middle of the green. That is gap wedge yardage for me. I only had to make bogey and I would shoot under 100 for the round. I had been hitting my 54* well this round but felt it was a little too short to go 85 yards.

I pulled my gap wedge and proceeded to shank it deep into the woods. left me with a short chip, under branches but had to get up on the elevated green that sloped away from me... I walked away with a triple bogey.

Had I hit my 54* I likely would have ended up short, but on the much more chip friendly side of the green and still could have made bogey or better...

22 degree hybrid over a chasm. See my thread.

Pushed my tee shot a little right, hit the right side of a fairway bunker and kicked hard right behind a big tree. Had about 100 to the green and thought I could make it over the tree.......

........no

I have a tendency to always go for it, so last round I was 200 from the green with a carry over the water at 170. Instead of playing for a bogey and laying up from a deep rough to give me a 100 or shorter approach shot, I, of course, thought go for it with my 5W. Naturally into the water and in the end it was a triple bogey on the score card.

I did this exact thing on Saturday. Exactly.

Severe downhill, into a stiff breeze, 128 yards, tried to kill a 50* wedge. Should have smoothed my PW.
Bladed it into the back bunker....bogey.

I tried to catch a ball clean from some mulch with a wedge to try to get the ball over a bunker and close to the pin rather than playing it safe and just getting somewhere on the green. I ended up in the mulch on the other side of the green, where it took me two more shots to get on the green.

the only shot that was "dumb" was taking driver on #2. i made a terrible swing, but if i had made a good swing i would have been fine. fw would have put me inside 150, but instead i blocked the drive and hit it into the hazard. this was particularly stupid since my opponent was one up on me at the time, and had just put his drive into the hazard. play safe and win the hole? nope.

Back