What is the furthest you have ever putted from off the green?

Probably less than 5 yards. My chipping/pitch shots are the best part of my game. There is a guy I play with that will putt from 50 yards and in. He is surprisingly good at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably from 15-20 feet to a pin cut close to the green's edge. That, and a great grass surface to roll the ball on.

Most of my "off green" putts are in the 1-2 foot range.

3 or 4 feet. There was a time I would rather chip than putt from just off the green.

It depends on the grass between me and the green but normally no further than 10 - 15 yards off the green, I feel more comfortable chipping than a long putt.

close to 50 yards. it was at the old course at st andrews. the caddie handed me a putter and i was like, "nah dawg, gimme the lob wedge." he shrugs his shoulders and gives me the lob wedge. that i blade into oblivion. he goes "all you americans want to hit your wedges because you don't know how to play links golf. hit the putter next time." so i did, and he was right.

17th hole Cabot Cliffs....100 yards.....straight down hill with serious downhill lie I would probably thin anyway. Putted it to 6 foot. Made that. 2 putt from 100 yards.

5 - 10yds. max if pin is close to front. Most fairways around here are not smooth enough to putt on and I'm fairly consistent with 7i chip, bump & run.

I played Gamble Sands a couple of years ago. My wife made her only lifetime eagle by putting from about 15 yards off the green and about 40 feet on the green.
So...after watching that, I had to try it on the next hole. I was about 10 yards off the "green" and 25 feet of green to the pin so I gave the putter a go. Let's just say I didn't stay on the green and had a chip coming back. I'll stick with chipping when that far off the green.

With a legitimate putter? Maybe 10 feet off the green haha. I’m very comfortable with my chipping game. But I will use a hybrid to putt every once in a while.

Maybe a foot or two. Most places I've played didn't lend themselves to off-green putting. And so because of that, I haven't built up that skill and would rather chip or play a bump and run.

On a baked out links course in UK I've probably putted from over 100 yards a couple times before. Not because I had to but just because I could!

At home probably 40-45 yards a few times. Maybe a little longer once or twice. In any given round if the course is dry I'll putt at least once from 20+ yards off the green.

Its called a chutt and @mikedean441 is the master. Whats the furthest off the green that you have drained one Mike?

it was today...about 10ft in the fringe/rough...it did not go well. i will never do that again.

I see people with 10-20 yards or more. How? You must play on some pristine conditioned courses! I’m lucky if I can do it from 10-20 FEET. Even then, I might go with a hybrid or 3wd to get through the gnarly stuff I have to deal with at the local munis. If I take putter, I would have to smash it to get through, and who knows where it will end up? Conditions have to be good enough to get a decent roll without losing control.

I have a buddy who hates to pull his wedges from the bag unless he has to.... I’ve seen him putt from 50-60 yards out and have heard stories of him putting from nearly 100 yds. If there’s no lip on a bunker, he’ll also putt from there as well...:oops:

I see people with 10-20 yards or more. How? You must play on some pristine conditioned courses! I’m lucky if I can do it from 10-20 FEET. Even then, I might go with a hybrid or 3wd to get through the gnarly stuff I have to deal with at the local munis. If I take putter, I would have to smash it to get through, and who knows where it will end up? Conditions have to be good enough to get a decent roll without losing control.

If you play on tight, firm fairways the ball will roll fine almost like on the green. And those same tight lies make chipping much more difficult.

If you play on shaggy fairways where there's a little "cushion" under the ball it might make sense to always chip.

Playing Bermuda helps a lot. Biggest adjustment in my game since moving south is to putt the ball from the 3rd cut green side. In MI I’d never even consider that

Probably 5 yards at the most. The course I have played have not been very condusive to putting from very far off the green.

20 yds off the green was my furthest because the Phil Mick's fairways are as fast as my greens.

Playing Bermuda helps a lot. Biggest adjustment in my game since moving south is to putt the ball from the 3rd cut green side. In MI I’d never even consider that
I did exactly that a couple times yesterday. Our course is Bermuda, and when it's dormant (like now), it gets more firm. Both times my ball was sitting up on top of it with 1-2 feet of rough to go through, and it was an easy putt. Both of them were shots to greens sloping away from me, so a chip would have been a delicate proposition.

In the summer when the Bermuda is green and lush - forget about it. A putt would go about 3 inches!

I play with folks who use their "TX wedge" from 50 yards out, but until I played the TPC Berthoud course where the fringe around the green was cut very short for a good 30 yards around the green, I had never putted from more than a few fee off. too much problems arise with a thick cut green side, but there I tried a putt from 10 yards off as the lie was tight and it worked out ok

I’ve never done it from more than a couple of yards off the green. Even that is really rare because I just never have any idea how much I need to put on it. I rarely putt from more than a couple of feet away.

I've tried it from probably 100' off but that was... once.

If there's a decent amount of fringe/fairway to navigate, I much prefer to chip it. Get the ball up a touch and hop it on through to the green.

Back