What is the greatest year of golf ever by a golfer?

Grins

AMDG
Reaction score
Handicap
20ish
Who had the best year as a golfer? Bobby Jones in 1930? Tiger Woods in 1999-2000? Byron Nelson in 1945?

I think I'm going with Ben Hogan in 1953.

Six tournaments entered. 5 wins - 3 of them majors.

He won at Augusta by breaking the aggregate record for the Masters by five strokes that year.

He won the US Open at one of the hardest venues (Oakmont) - playing 36 holes on the last day on legs that caused him constant pain from his near-fatal car crash in 1949.

He won the Open Championship at Carnoustie - generally acknowledged to be the most difficult course in the Open rota. And he set a scoring record in the process .

He wasn't able to play in the PGA Championship that year because it was held the same time as the Open Championship. Also, Hogan didn't play the PGA after his accident - probably because he felt his legs might not hold up over the match play format.

It's a shame Hogan didn't get a chance to play in a modern-style PGA format that year - I'm pretty certain he would've won that too. The fact that he came back from such a devastating injury to completely dominate the tour a few years later is probably the greatest comeback story in all of sport.

What's your favorite year?

Tiger Slam..... I know its a wrap around year but holding all 4 majors at the same time is unparalleled in my mind

Hard to argue with that one. It would've been epic to see guys like Hogan & Woods playing each other at their best.

Tiger 2000.

Tiger Slam..... I know its a wrap around year but holding all 4 majors at the same time is unparalleled in my mind

And The Players

I witnessed the Tiger slam. Therefore I’m saying that one. He had the field beat before even striking a ball!!!!

Tiger Slam for sure.

Gotta be Tiger’s 2000 season, but I’ll throw another out there. Spieth in 2015. As a 21-22 year old, he won 2 majors, finishing solo 2nd and T4 in the other two along with 3 more wins.

Tiger 2000 was the best. The intimidation factor he had was unprecedented.

Tiger 2000 was the best. The intimidation factor he had was unprecedented.

You say that but I watched him lose in a charity 4 ball the day after his amazing Canadan Open victory in the dark.

Justin Leonard carried him all day but it was not enough to take out Curtis Strange and David Feherty.

Tiger did win the press conference and driving range exhibition if that counts.

And The Players
Yes, but its not a major.... just another tour win, just saying ;) In 2000 he entered 20.... 20 tournaments and won 9 only finishing outside top 20 once.... The Advil Western Open (had to look.. finished 23rd ) which was sandwiched between US & Open Championship, which he won! 🤯

Who had the best year as a golfer? Bobby Jones in 1930? Tiger Woods in 1999-2000? Byron Nelson in 1945?

I think I'm going with Ben Hogan in 1953.

Six tournaments entered. 5 wins - 3 of them majors.

He won at Augusta by breaking the aggregate record for the Masters by five strokes that year.

He won the US Open at one of the hardest venues (Oakmont) - playing 36 holes on the last day on legs that caused him constant pain from his near-fatal car crash in 1949.

He won the Open Championship at Carnoustie - generally acknowledged to be the most difficult course in the Open rota. And he set a scoring record in the process .

He wasn't able to play in the PGA Championship that year because it was held the same time as the Open Championship. Also, Hogan didn't play the PGA after his accident - probably because he felt his legs might not hold up over the match play format.

It's a shame Hogan didn't get a chance to play in a modern-style PGA format that year - I'm pretty certain he would've won that too. The fact that he came back from such a devastating injury to completely dominate the tour a few years later is probably the greatest comeback story in all of sport.

What's your favorite year?

what was the strength of field when hogan won?

Probably Tigers 99-00 as i was alive for it

Tiger’s 2008 is very underrated. He won 4 times finished 2nd once and 5th once. 6 starts and they were all in the top 5. He won a US Open on a torn ACL and a broken leg. It gets lost in the shuffle because he didn’t play very many tournaments.18758DE3-5D47-4CE9-A47F-348118E04D82.jpeg

Tiger Slam for sure. Absolutely remarkable.

Ben Hogan 1953

Probably Tigers 99-00 as i was alive for it

I think this is always the bias in conversations like this - understandably so. Most people will choose Tiger because they saw it happen, and it was amazing.

Just as those who saw Bobby Jones win his 4 majors in 1930 would probably choose him, and writers like Dan Jenkins would probably pick Hogan because they were contemporaries of his.

I'm not taking anything away from Tiger - I just think as time goes by, people like Hogan & Jones get mentioned less and less.

Tiger in 2000 was fun to watch! I’m sure had i been able to watch Ben Hogan I’d probably say him.

Has to be Tiger. Sure, he's the only one that I got to witness firsthand, but that boy could do things with a golf ball that few others could.

Sorry to go against the grain but Bobby Jones. 1st time a “slam” of any sort had every been contemplated. They had to invent a word for it.
Hogan’s is right up there what with nearly dying and all, Tiger too because they were all professional tournaments then but Bobby played the best amateurs & professional golfers alive and beat them all.

Back