What is the highest lofted wedge you bag and why?

Nixhex524

Reaction score
I am just curious to know as I carry a 60* J40 but I have very little success with it anywhere. I am thinking of keeping my 56 as my highest lofted wedge as it seems to do just about everything I need it to. Anyone else carrying less than 60, or 58 for that matter?

this year i went with a 54,58 set up to go with my CB3 4-GW and i had been very pleased. With my new Srixon 545s and the PW being a 44* and right now looking like 135-140 club , i am thinking 48(115-120),52(100-110),56(85-95),60(65-75) may be in needed next year.

Last edited:
I have a 58° but rarely carry it. Usually it is my 54°. In my opinion, most people carry too many wedges. I know you score with your short game, but I think most (see: MOST) would be better served with not carrying so many wedges. The only time I use the 58° is on a steep incline to the green. And usually the 54° will get the job done. You can always open it up if you need to.

That's just me.

I carry a 58 that is bent to 57. Dont use my higher lofted wedges for full swings unless its the only shot to play.

I have a 60* wedge in the bag I use almost exclusively for short sided sand shots.

I carry a 58* and have started using it as my go to around the green and back to 40-50 yards. A half swing with my 58* goes around 40-50 yards and lands like a dart and I've got a lot better results with it right around the green. At this point, I can't see taking it out of the bag, especially because I can't think what I'd replace it with at the other end of the bag.

I carry a 60* and use it about 5-6 times per round for a full 90 yard shot. I also use it out of greendside bunkers about 2/3rds of the time. It's the best scoring club in my bag.

54* is the highest loft I carry. I am not a distance guy, yet. My 54 full swing is only like 65-75 yards. So I don't see any point of a higher lofted wedge for my current swing/game.

I moved to a 58 this year from a 62. When I tracked my scoring with the 62 I realized I scored poorly every time I pulled that club out. Did a few days of short game testing and found 58 being the highest loft I can use consistently.

After a full year of having it in the bag I'm glad I switched, has been a real game changer. I use it for a lot of shots including full swings for the 100-110 shot with a little spin.

I carry a 58 degree and rarely use it. I could very well get by without it, but it is needed now and then.

I got a 60* last month. I got cause I'm not comfortable taking 1/2 or 3/4 wedge shots from the fairway, and I had a huge gap between my full swing 56* (95-105 yards) and my 56* straight arm pitch (65 yards and closer). My 60* will cover the 75-90 yard range. I use the 60* around the greens now as well, but I was perfectly fine in that area when I only had a 56*.

I carry a 56 and a 60. It is funny how often I grab the 60 then ease it back into the bag. I am just more confident with the 56.

Love my 60º wedge. I play courses with lots of trees and it comes in handy. I don't chip with it often unless I need to get it up and stop quickly, but I love it for shots in the 30-60 yard range.

58*. It fits my gaps and is versatile around the green.

58*. It's a very versatile club for me, but something that I can still use to flop around the green if necessary.

Set PW, GW and 56/64. The 56 is the workhorse, the 64 is my "What the heck do I do NOW" club. Might pull it once a round, might not. Good days, I'm not in places where I feel I need it.
Toying with going 52 / 58 or something next year. The 64 is spectacular when it works...and spectacular when it doesn't. I'm thinking a bit more consistency would be nice.

61*. I use it for 90% of my shots around the green from flops to running chips. Probably my favorite club in the bag.

(I'm a firm believer in using one club for most short game shots, provided, however, that you have time to develop feel with that club.)

59° and I use it often as I tend to short-side myself way too often. ;-)

But the biggest reason is that it's the club I use for full swings at 100 yards. But I tend to play my wedges back in my stance on full swings which effectively de-lofts them some.

I have a 60* wedge in the bag I use almost exclusively for short sided sand shots.

This is exactly why I originally bought the 60 but it hasn't done me much good... Haha

I carry a 56 and a 60. It is funny how often I grab the 60 then ease it back into the bag. I am just more confident with the 56.

I can totally relate to this statement.

Liking my 60º for greenside bunkers.

Right now it's a 58*, but I am eliminating the 54* and 58* and replacing them with a 56*. Might add a utility iron. I can always open the face for more loft. I get a Big Break "wall shot" that requires a 60 about once every 50 rounds.

Problem is... I think a 58 might suit me better and I love my 52 so a 6* gap would be ok even 5* if I bent the 58 to 57, but I the 56* has been such a great asset to my bag that I can't see adjusting it or pulling it out.

I started this thread because I am seriously considering just going with the 52 and 56, but wonder if I may regret it at some point. I also think that the amount of times I will need something more than 56* will be minimal and it probably won't matter much.

I have a 58* but rarely use it, it does come in handy around the greens to pins near the edges. I'm thinking about going to a 1 wedge bag.

58*. For me, it does everything a 60* can and it gaps well with the 50/54 for full swings.

I carry a 58 and use it all the time. Near-full swings inside 75 yards, pitches, chips. I've used it a ton, and have simply enjoyed a lot of success with it.

Back