What is the highest lofted wedge you bag and why?

I've got a 60 that I use quite often. It's great out of bunkers and to chip with. Love being able to throw the face open and hit it straight up!

For me, it's a 56 bent to 55.

JM

I have started to carry a 60 Vokey special grind 60 M. I wonder if it does not have enough effective loft for me. It looks like it is designed for tight lies versus higher landing shots.. I have other 60's that just look like they would send the ball up quicker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

58 and I rarely use it for full swing shots. It gets most use on deep/short bunker shots and steep slopes around the green.

I've preached for years that people carry too much loft in their wedges. My 54 can be opened all the way for a soft flop or shut down for a low runner.

I agree hdcp has little to do with it but skill level has everything to do with it. Although I know very fee low caps that don't have solid short games.

Well said!

Highest I carry is a 56°. Growing up, we only ever had a PW and a SW in the bag so we had to learn to hit many shots with just the 56°. Just kind of stuck with me I guess

Highest i carry is a 58. Gives me some good versatility without being too hard to hit. Anything over 60 scares me haha

My highest degree wedge is a 60. I like this club and I am confident with it. If I commit to the shot the results tend to be good. I have been working on opening up my 54*.

60* love it when I need to hit it high, or around the green in the rough

56*...don't need any more loft than that

Same here. I try to minimize the different clubs I need to use around the green so I go with the 56 for pretty much every wedge shot; it helps me with consistency. If I'm inside of 90 yards, I'll be pulling out the 56 just about every time.

I carry 54 and 58, but to be honest, I have gotten so used to using my AW for most shots around the greens, I only really use them if I'm in a bunker or short sided going over trouble. I used to use my 58 for most shots around the green, but I just get better results with the 50 on the majority of my shots.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I carry 58 and it's my go to club around the greens, unless I'm hitting a running chip, in which case I take less loft. Gapping is not a concern, because I'm more and more learning that I really shouldn't be taking full swings with those clubs (54 and 58).

I'm beginning to come to the realization that bounce is more important than loft around the greens. Need to have a high and low bounce option to cover all your bases.

I have been carrying a 54 & a 58. However, I seem to do nothing but pop the 58 straight up. I'm thinking seriously about pulling it from my bag.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I love my old Ping Eye 2 L-Wedge. I think it's 61*, but I play the ball back in my stance with my hands forward for the majority of my simple shots with it. I love the high toe (like the new Callaway PM wedge that's coming out in May) for when I open it up, it just gives me so much more confidence seeing all of that surface area that I can use. I wish I could get a lower bounce wedge with a high toe like that.

Highest loft I carry is 56°, but I don't use it much. My most used is my 51° GW, and that is too much loft for a lot of my greenside shots. I also use my 47° PW and 39° 8I regularly.

I have a 64 degree Callaway Jaws which I use as almost exclusively as a specialty wedge around the greens. Since purchasing it I've holed out 4 chips and it's great for when I short side myself. I'm sure it's mostly accident rather than technique but I've hit some low chips that hit, bounce once and stop. I love those shots. A full shot at the range is 85 yards but most of the times I've tried it on the course it goes 50 yards and to the right. I removed the 3 iron from the bag , strengthened the 4 and 5 irons so I could add the 64 and I've never regretted it.

I carry a 60* J40 for those many times I've short sided myself. Has great touch around the green.

58 simply because it works well with my 50 and 54. I don't have the control to jump to a 60 and 6 degrees of separation.

One of the best players I know at my home course is mid 60's in age and carries a 9 iron as his highest lofted club and he is a 9 handicap. Just shows there is more than one way to get up and down and that is what great golf is all about.

58 is my current highest lifted wedge, but I have carried a 62* in years past.

58 is my current highest lifted wedge, but I have carried a 62* in years past.

Ditto. Actually, I tried a 64 for a bit last year.

I have decided to stick with the 56 as my highest lofted club and it's been working out just fine other than the fact that I have a vacant spot in the bag. As it is, I barely use the 56. My 52 J40 around the greens is magic... love that wedge.

Glad I read this thread...
I use, almost exclusively, my 60* anytime inside about 50 yards.

I never considered it might be a hard club to hit. I'm very poor with my distances with that thing. Just assumed it was all me.

I will try and play a few rounds with a 52* and 56*.

55* is the highest I use. I use my 46* for most of my chipping and I love it.

A 58*. I tried gaming a 60* but lacked the confidence it takes to commit to that amount of loft. The 58* gives me confidence and I'm able to open it when I need to for those flop shots.

I do miss my 56* though.

Back