What is the longest iron you carry? Why?

4i to 5w is a perfect slot, so 4

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4 iron and soon to be a 3 crossover

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

5i and maybe soon a 24* Ut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4i. Used to carry a 3i but I started hitting the ball really low. Aka don't hit a 3i lol. I also carry a 2hyb but dont truly consider that an iron.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

18 degree 3 iron. I cannot hit a hybrid to save my life. It is also my go to club when I need to stay in the fairway off the tee.

I don’t own a iron!!! I do have several hyrons though.

4-iron because I can hit it really, really well and can flight and turn it much easier than a 4-hybrid. When a hybrid gives a better option for a specialty shot like sitting down in the rough, hardpan lie, or where the wider sole would help, I can choke down on my 3-hybrid and have the same distance options.

I still rock a Mizuno MP flihi 2 iron. I love it way too much to drop it from the bag. The chunky sole makes it fairly easy to hit. A consistent 270 off the tee and a great option Into longer par 5's.

18 degree UT. Fantastic off the tee and great in situations where you want to run something low up on the green

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I have a 19* Ut that I use when there are those times that I need to get it into the fairway and the Driver wasn't as reliable since I was playing the wrong shaft.

But my new set of Cobra clubs will be 5-pw with a Cobra UT 2/3. I think the adjustable UT is a brilliant idea.

Just my Mizuno 4. I hit it fine usually around 190 or so. Never have that old brick shot that would happen with my older irons, although I am still prone to hit it massively fat sometimes.

Tmb 2i. It's good!

5i - haven't played it in years, but the PXG 0311XF is very forgiving; it's getting high in the air.

This is an old thread so I'm not sure if I've commented in here since I joined. My irons are "in flux" right now. I was using the Wishon 550m/c combo set for many years and I just recently decided I wanted to try graphite shafts. Since I had a set of iron heads that I've been holding on to for some time, I decided to swap the whole set out so I'm playing a set of Dynacraft PC3 upright irons. When I initially built them, I built them in 3-GW, but after playing a round or two and a couple range sessions I decided it wasn't worth not having my hybrids. So, I built my 3i and 4i hybrids with the same graphite shafts as the irons.

That being said, I just built a partial set (4, 7, PW, LW) or Pinhawk single length irons. I did not include the 4i hybrid because I figure if I can't hit a club that's the length of the 7i, then I have issues. We'll see how it goes. I could build a 4h in that single length set, but I'm not sure I want to.

The 550m/c Wishon set that I was using bottomed out at the 5i, but I have a 4i head in the 550c that I was toying with building, but I'm not sure the lie is bent upright like I need so I putt it off. I also used a 5i hybrid that matches my 3i and 4i hybrids that I'm currently carrying, though I think when I played the 5h I pulled the 3h in favor of the 5wd.

currently have a 4i in the bag and i actually like it a lot, but i think i'm going to drop back to a 5i as the longest iron, and add a wedge at the bottom for tighter gapping.

When I started shopping for clubs again last year I had been out of the game so long I didn't know people were no longer playing 3 and 4 irons. But I already had a couple of hybrids anyway, so the standard set I went with was 5i-PW. I am still trying to solidify the gap between my 3w and 5i since I ditched the 5w also. My hybrids scare me so I don't like to use them. Too erratic.

I carry a 3 G400 crossover.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Currently a 2 iron. Perfect club on a links course off the tee.

Not as useful on the Fairway.

But then we do own a Fairway Wood. Or 2.

220 yards bullets straight down the fairway.

Rolls for 20 to 40 yards if it Texas baked dry landing zones.

But honestly the new hybrid Irons, P790's etc are just so easy to hit.

My playing partner yesterday @Space Bandito watch me hit a gentle draw on a 290 yard hole to 80 yards from the pin. Asked if he could take a swing and was also delighted with the results.

First swing. Fairway Hit. Wedge into the green.

Any Questions?
578e22d82d8f3d80caa8f6c5bfbfe0ad.jpg

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

6i - I have swing speed challenges and launch issues. Hybrids make it easier past the 6i.
If I could find a 6h that didn’t have dispersion issues I’d play one too.

4. Very comfortable hitting it and like having versatility. Haven’t tried anything like a 3 iron. I use a 3 hy in that slot. I plan to explore options like a driving iron.

Bringing back a 4 year old thread.

Mine is a 3i. I don’t like most hybrids and the 3i works fine for me. I don’t use it often and more often than not, it is off the tee when I do.

I could probably squeeze more performance out of a driving iron and may get one at some point.

Just got the new Epic Forged 4 iron that replaced an old Titleist 2/3 driving iron. With the very Strong loft on the Epic 4 iron, it actually has 1 degree less loft(18) than the old Titleist. I've always been more accurate with direction and trajectory with a long iron/driving iron over hybrids and I don't expect that to change anytime soon.

Currently a 2 iron. Perfect club on a links course off the tee.

Not as useful on the Fairway.

But then we do own a Fairway Wood. Or 2.

220 yards bullets straight down the fairway.

Rolls for 20 to 40 yards if it Texas baked dry landing zones.

But honestly the new hybrid Irons, P790's etc are just so easy to hit.

My playing partner yesterday @Space Bandito watch me hit a gentle draw on a 290 yard hole to 80 yards from the pin. Asked if he could take a swing and was also delighted with the results.

First swing. Fairway Hit. Wedge into the green.

Any Questions?
578e22d82d8f3d80caa8f6c5bfbfe0ad.jpg

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk
I was quite impressed by the carry distance...Until the ball nicked a branch, and the reverse roll took it back 50 yards.

I posted on this before the thread went dormant. Since then, I've changed clubs a couple of times. Currently, my longest iron is my Z585 4i. I'm still not sold on it and a hybrid might make the bag at some point, but it's still hanging around for the time being.

4 at the moment but a new 3 iron is on the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back