What is the longest iron you carry? Why?

I've just recently switched out my 3 iron with a 19 deg hybrid.

Once my new irons come in next week, my longest will be a 5 iron, taking out the 4 to add an extra wedge for better gapping in the scoring clubs.

4-iron, because that's what the set came with. I thought about ordering a matching 3 earlier this year, but a 3H fell in my lap and I haven't felt the overwhelming need to change. It sort of fills the gap and I hit it alright for how often its used. I have limited experience with hybrids, but I'm not sold on them for me so far. I don't tend to need help getting the ball in the air, and I'm generally longer with an equivalent iron.

5 iron and I don't hit it very often, other than to punch out from the trees. When I bought new irons in the Spring, I didn't add a 4 because I couldn't remember the last time I had hit the 4 iron from my old set.

Other than punch outs, I haven't hit the 5 during a round more than 20 times. Yardages have just worked out that way.

I go driver than 2 iron as my next club.

5 iron is longest iron I carry. I use a 4h as an iron replacement. I carry a heavenwood also. I find the heavenwood and hybrid easier to hit than long irons.

A 6 because I need to order a 5.

I carry an 18 degree 3 iron in both my sets and use it almost exclusively as a tee club.

I 100 percent acknowledge that it is the swing and not the club, but i generally have not got along well with hybrids in the past. I am simply more confident with an iron knowing that for me personally my miss will be less dramatic. I have also never struggled to get the ball in the air, which certainly helps the iron case.

I carry an 18 degree 3 iron in both my sets and use it almost exclusively as a tee club.

I 100 percent acknowledge that it is the swing and not the club, but i generally have not got along well with hybrids in the past. I am simply more confident with an iron knowing that for me personally my miss will be less dramatic. I have also never struggled to get the ball in the air, which certainly helps the iron case.
I should also add that I have MP20 MBs PW-6, then the 3 4 5 are the HMBs. So its almost like a hybrid iron without being a hybrid.

I know have a titleist U500 3 iron which replaced a tmb 3 iron. I love it off the tee as well as from the fairway. Seem to b more consistent with the 3 iron than a 4 hybrid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Currently its the Srixon 785 4 iron. Its 205-210 for me and anything longer than that i utilize a hybrid. For me I feel like i can manipulate the trajectory with the hybrid more than with a 3 or 2 iron, along with being a bit more forgiving.

Currently a 5 iron but need to order a 4 iron now. Might be really brave and go 3:sick:

4i is my longest. I start to see no benefit of having a 3i cause I can’t hit it any further than the 4 due to launch conds.

I've been carrying a set 4i at 24* and then more of a GI iron at 20*. I hit it the same distance as my 22* hybrid that I rotate in but prefer the iron off the tee.

G700 4-iron is in my bag for some tee box shots . And if the lie is decent I sometimes play it from the fairway as well.

I'm playing with a 4i which came in the set. I was using a 4H until the shaft broke at the head and I didn't get around to having it fixed. It works well so long as I tell myself that it's a 7 iron before I hit.

Srixon ZU85 2i, then I have the Z785 4i

Edit - reason for the 2i rather than a hybrid is that I just don't get the results from a hybrid that I do with a long iron. During my fitting we found hybrids just spun too much, so the utility iron was the clear winner

Last edited:
TM UDI 1-iron (16* Loft)

I CAN play as low as a 3i and play it pretty well, I see way more benefit from hybrids in the long irons. However, I have never really dropped the 5i for a hybrid before and I don't know why. Its a hot/cold iron for me, and honestly I think more benefit will come from getting a 6hy to replace my 5i. I know for sure that I will never go back to an iron longer than a 5i

Following up. I do want to test the hybrid v long iron idea and see if and how far into the irons that might make sense for me. I plan to experiment this winter now that I have access to Trackman and GCQuad data and many current hybrid models. I know with longer irons, there are typically a couple of shots every round where the confidence isn't where I want it. My clubs will likely change out completely before the next summer solstice. This is one area where I am less certain what that will look like. Data be my teacher.

My previous set went down to 3-iron and I could hit it fairly well off the tee but I had lost confidence with it off the turf. In my new set my longest is 5 iron and a 4 hybrid (21 degrees). When I've bedded the set in I may decide to get a 25 degree hybrid as well if the gap is too big.

Taylormade Gapr Lo, I live in the UK and its super windy. Got it set to 15.5 degrees and it puts out big distance. This was into the wind during summer.
89d0bd1acf948c13a01308743ef0e9f8.jpg

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

It's my 4I, I hit it way better than the hybrid. If there was a HM 3I, I'd have it too

Longest iron in my bag is the 4i. I keep it in the bag to approach those shots in the range of 210-220 where a 3h is too much. I don’t like to over swing with my 5i because it just doesn’t end well.

My highest iron is a 7 - then go to a 30 degree and 25 degree hybrid.
Have a slow swing speed and this setup just works.
7 iron distance is approx 135 yards.

4 iron for the 180 - 190 yard range. I'm just more comfortable using an iron in that yardage space.

Back