What is the longest iron you carry? Why?

4 iron (21 deg) is now the lowest, mainly because I can hit it somewhat consistently and gives the right gapping between the 5i (23.5 deg) and 3H (19 deg)

3+ years later, 6i and contemplating dropping that. for where i play, i rarely NEED a 6i...and when i do, it's usually for a partial swing positional. seems sacrilegious, tho.

4i. I don’t mind the long irons. I don’t hit many greens with them, but quite frankly I don’t expect to hit a lot of greens from 200+

There are some similar ooooollllllld threads, but I think a new one is merited here.

So, this is something I have had on my mind for a long time, because personally though I CAN play as low as a 3i and play it pretty well, I see way more benefit from hybrids in the long irons. However, I have never really dropped the 5i for a hybrid before and I don't know why. Its a hot/cold iron for me, and honestly I think more benefit will come from getting a 6hy to replace my 5i. I know for sure that I will never go back to an iron longer than a 5i though, outside of reviews. I know some say they "hook" hybrids, but honestly, its a swing thing not a club thing, but thats a can of worms I know will rile some feathers so we will let it lay.

So, whats your longest iron? Why? Why not a hybrid? Whats the highest loft hybrid you would consider playing?
Most of the time my 5i is my lowest number club in my bag. After that club, I start with my 7W to my Driver.

However, I do have 4-3-&-2 irons available if I think they are a better fit for the course I'm playing.

In my cottage bag I carry a 3-10 iron plus PW and sand iron. The 3 is 21 degrees, which is about the same as today's 4i. I have had that set of irons since they were new in the 90's. That bag also has some TM Burner Bubble fairways. I did change out to a modern driver from the Wilson Whale Titanium I used to play with that set back in the day.

7i - I carry 4, 5 and 6 hybrids that I hit much more consistently and longer than the iron equivalents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5i is my longest. My 6i is probably 50% more accurate than my 5i. I don't like the odds that gives to a 4i.

I carried up to a 2 iron forever. I never was able to hit the 2 or the 3 nearly as consistently as I could the rest of my blades. When I was fit into my Titleist T300’s, I hit the long irons so well, I’d probably have gone up to a 3 in the new set but they only go up to the 4. I did get a 3 hybrid to cover the gap between my 5 wood and the 4 iron.

5 is my longest iron now. I had a 4i for awhile but swapped that out for a hybrid and probably won’t go back.

7i is the longest iron I use. It gaps well with my 9w.
That is odd. Everyone I know figures their 9 wood is somewhere between their 4 and 5 iron.

Straight iron, it’s a 4. But I also have a Titleist driving 3 iron that goes well between the 4 and 4 wood.

For me it's a 5 iron. Carried a 3 and 4 for years and the results I had were less that acceptable and I scrapped them for an additional wedge and fairway.

I have a 3. I’ve never been able to hit a hybrid. Probably because I’ve never been fit. And I like the 3 iron more than a 5 wood. For me it’s more accurate.

5 iron currently but I cannot get it to hold greens so I'll be dropping it for a 5 hybrid eventually.

7 iron... have a 4h and 5h in the bag and feel good, leaves room for more things I can actually hit...

4i @ 18*. Recently put it in the bag to replace a fairway wood. For some reason I have never been able to get any consistency with a Hybrid. I do have an adjustable Apex 21 3H but currently do not like it. It's staying in the spare bag as from time to time I take it out to practice but my mind can not seem to work out how to swing it. But as I'm getting more used to the 4i especially off the Tee, I am likely to bring the Hybrid out for more practice just to see if I can get it to work.

A

6i for me. (Well I consider it a 5i at 26.5 degrees.)
It gaps nicely to my 7W.

5i.

It's fairly strong lofted at 23° and I already have a 3 hybrid at 19°. So I added another slightly shorter shafted 4 hybrid at 21° to give me another option between those two.

Used to be 5i but now it's 7i because I only carry six clubs at the moment.

I really like my ZX5 4 iron. Didn't originally buy it with the set but needed it for 1 hole and it's working well for me

4i
Because I still hit it fairly well and it fits well in the bag, with respect to gapping. Having the ability to take advantage of its lower trajectory is also helpful at times too.

(Read: in trouble and under a tree with low hanging branches 🤣 )

I just put a 5i back in the bag this winter but haven't used it on the course yet. There's a 2 club gap between my 6i and my 5h that I'm hoping it will fill.

The reality with long irons for me is that while there's the potential for more distance, there are also poorer strikes resulting in the average distance between the two clubs becoming too close.

I'm going to try the 5i out in 2023. If I struggle with it, a better solution might be for me to work on hitting the 5h shorter to fill the gap. The issue seems to be that I just hit the 5h longer as the gap between that club and the 4h is smaller.

ClubGapping.jpg

4i. It’s fine off tee or great lie. Thinking of replacing it with 4 hybrid

Back