What is the longest iron you carry? Why?

I carry a 4 - LW. My 4 iron is more accurate than any hybrid I've ever tried. I normally only use my 4 iron once or twice per round at my home course - sometimes as an approach on a par 5 or on the par 3 15th that plays anywhere from 203-216 yards.

There are some similar ooooollllllld threads, but I think a new one is merited here.

So, this is something I have had on my mind for a long time, because personally though I CAN play as low as a 3i and play it pretty well, I see way more benefit from hybrids in the long irons. However, I have never really dropped the 5i for a hybrid before and I don't know why. Its a hot/cold iron for me, and honestly I think more benefit will come from getting a 6hy to replace my 5i. I know for sure that I will never go back to an iron longer than a 5i though, outside of reviews. I know some say they "hook" hybrids, but honestly, its a swing thing not a club thing, but thats a can of worms I know will rile some feathers so we will let it lay.

So, whats your longest iron? Why? Why not a hybrid? Whats the highest loft hybrid you would consider playing?

I edge closer and closer to switching out my 4 iron for a hybird due to the consistency distance wise that a hybrid provides, but that all usually disappears when I get my right/left swing back and start fighting draw/hooks with my 18* hybo.

For now, the highest is a 4 iron. if I can stay consistent, I might look into a hybrid replacement, but right now I'm better off with the iron.

My lowest is a 4, but its an Altitude.... so it shouldn't really count. It is the first low iron that I have been able to just absolutely kill from the fairways. Prior to that, my 3i/4i were always saved for off the tee only.

My lowest is a 4i. I've gone back and forth with hybrids and long irons, at one point having 3,4 & 5 hybrids in the bag. The truth is simple, I hit irons better in the 4 and 5 spot. Distance with irons is about 5-7 yards shorter but the accuracy is significantly better. I do have a pretty big gap between the 3h and 4i that I need to figure out.

5i. I tried the 5h, but It was hook city.

Personally I dropped my 5i for a hybrid. See my signature, everything gaps well and for me is very playable. My 5i was just kind of hot or miss, more miss than hit so I dropped it.

I used to play a 3 iron but my latest set started at a 4 iron which I will use from about 190-200. I'm not great with the long irons but I struggle with hybrids even more.

15°UT...then 21°-24° UT irons and enjoy hitting them from the deck and tee boxes. 4I is the longest in my set irons. I do not carry any woods besides the driver. I don't have anything against FW's or hybrids, the UT's just feel so comfortable at address and enjoy this set up right now.

Last edited:
4 Iron for me. I've always liked the long irons more than hybrids. Doesn't make sense, I know, but I'm more consistent with the 4 iron than, say, a 4 hybrid.

4i. My best club in my bag. Was always afraid of it but one day my 4Hy wasn't doing too good so I used the 4i and hit finding fairways the rest of the day.

The longest iron in my bag is a 4 iron. It's been that way for 4 years now. I pulled the 3 iron in favor of an 18* hybrid. I am more confident with the hybrid from the fairway and can get a lot more distance from the rough.

4 iron, I hit it so damn good and I like the gapping in my irons and don't have to overthink the hybrid into to the irons.
Highest lofted hybrid I would play would be 21 or 22 if I got the distance I was looking for.

4 iron. Still my favorite in the bag besides my wedges. When I can't find a fairway with the driver it will come out in a hurry. I'm way more consistent with the iron over a hybrid.

Right now I have a 5i as my longest iron but I'm trying an experiment with a 4i. I put a graphite steelfiber i95 stiff flex in it over my standard TT DG SL s300 iron shafts.

I was at the golf shop on the launch monitor and I was getting great distance and dispersion with it. And the distance was a perfect 200-210 gap that I haven't had in years. My 4 hybrid is my 210-220 club but I'm so hit and miss with it I never pulled it anyway.

4i, and I absolutely love it from 215-225 out

5i for me. It fills the gap I need in the middle of the bag, and the 4H above it which is a degree weaker than the 5i goes 15yds further. Sounds unorthodox, but you should never argue with the results.

This is a two pronged answer for me. Technically my answer is a 2i. I use it on the tee 99% of the time. On a rare occasion I have pulled it for a long second shot but results are varied.

In my set irons I go up to a 5i. I'll hit that 200+ and I have no need for more distance from the tees I play. I am very confident with that club.

I have an 18° hybrid that I can hit off the deck but haven't tried it too often. That's usually my first option for tighter tee shots.

What is the longest iron you carry? Why?

I have an apex pro 5i in the bag but thinking about adding a 24* UT which I consider more of an iron than hybrid. Haven't had much luck ever with any 4 or 3 iron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 iron, only because I get along with the 825 pro 4 iron really well. I've carried up to a 5 iron before, but I'm really comfortable with this one so use it mostly to hit the lower shots my 22° degree hybrid doesn't do.

Longest iron I carry is a 5i. I have little success with anything lower than that and prefer the forgiveness of a hybrid. Making life easier is what it's all about for me.

Currently 5 iron. But this has been my debate for over ten years. I played professionally on the hooters and nationwide tours and have always been a mid trajectory guy with my irons. Back then I would carry a game improvement 2 and 3 iron but would continue to try hybrids but all of them were draw biased. I finally found an adams hybrid that really worked for me and dropped the two. Recently I have dropped the three and four irons and my longest iron is an 5 iron since switching to XR PRO irons. I have been in the same debate a JMAN whether or not to drop the five iron. But concern always comes back when I get a case of the hooks and then I will pull out the long irons. This is my crutch with hybrids.

There is no question to me contact and mishits are much better with the hybrids. I do believe with the xr pros 3 or 4 irons that I can get some really good launch so I order them with the kbs tour 90's to really get the ball flight up. For some reason I always look at Lydia KO's and Y.E. Yangs bag and say why am I not doing what they do. That shot Y.E. hit against tiger at the 72 hole with the hybrid always sticks out in my mind. Enough rambling just some of my thoughts.

I use a 4i. I had a 4 and 3 iron from rsi1 in the set but then bought 3 and 5 r15 woods and they out performed the irons. So higher is now 4i

4 iron for me. I hit it pretty well and it falls perfectly in my gapping

5 iron, right now. I can play the 4 iron just fine, but it doesn't have a nice high flight, thus the hybrid in that slot.

4i for me but its a older set of irons which means the lofts are a bit weaker. With a newer set I wouldn't carry past a 5. Hybrids are too easy to hit to justify playing any another iron.

Back