What is the longest iron you carry? Why?

Jman

Golf Scrivener
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
There are some similar ooooollllllld threads, but I think a new one is merited here.

So, this is something I have had on my mind for a long time, because personally though I CAN play as low as a 3i and play it pretty well, I see way more benefit from hybrids in the long irons. However, I have never really dropped the 5i for a hybrid before and I don't know why. Its a hot/cold iron for me, and honestly I think more benefit will come from getting a 6hy to replace my 5i. I know for sure that I will never go back to an iron longer than a 5i though, outside of reviews. I know some say they "hook" hybrids, but honestly, its a swing thing not a club thing, but thats a can of worms I know will rile some feathers so we will let it lay.

So, whats your longest iron? Why? Why not a hybrid? Whats the highest loft hybrid you would consider playing?

3i

The yardage falls nicely behind my 5w and it gives me a very comfortable tee box option.

I recently did exactly what you are thinking about and replaced my 5 iron with a 6 hybrid. It's really no contest for me, I hit the 6 hybrid way more consistent than I do the 5 iron. So to answer your question, 6 iron is the longest iron I have in my bag...for now anyway.

5 iron, unless you want to count a utility iron. Can still hit it pretty consistently well. Carry a utility iron as a 4 iron replacement. Hit it better, more consistently, than a 4 iron or hybrid. Have in the passed, and likely will again in the future, gamed a 7 wood in place of a 4 iron. I could hit a range of shots from 175 - 200 with it and just have always had much more success with fairways than hybrids.

Right now the longest I carry is an XR Pro 5-iron. I decided to embrace the hybrid and for the most part it has worked. However this XR 5-iron is a high launching bomber I can always count on, so I am going to try the 4-Iron and see where it gets me.

3i for me, for long par 3's and as a 'keep it under the tree branches' club

5 iron for me. I can hit it pretty well. But a 3 and 4 iron were always a waste for me. I never could hit those dang clubs. So I carry a 3 and 4 hydrid.

4 iron. Fits my yardage gaps perfectly, and gives me a club that I can consistently keep really low when I want/need to.

Longest I carry is a 5i and I'm just like you, it's hot and cold. Sometimes I love it and other times I can't figure out why I don't just drop it for another hybrid.

I have a 3i I play sometimes. It is fun and I hit it it pretty well, but I hit my hybrid better so it gets the spot. Same goes for the 4i. The longest iron I carry is my 5, which i generally hit well but can be hot or cold as well.

My dilemma though is I hit my 4h better than my 5i, so I have definitely considered a 5h as the same could be true. It isn't at all though because it is not working, but what is the most optimal. Then I go to the range and practice with the 5i and decide it is good enough.

5iron for me, but I've considered replacing it with a hybrid. On the range I hit it fine, but in the course it gets me in some trouble. Obviously a mental thing.

I play a 3i in one set, and a 4i in another.
While the 3h goes further, it does so with higher ball flight. The 3i is my 210 yd club, stays low, and is great for under trees.
I like my iron better than my hybrid, I think it makes my game a little more versatile.

6 iron. I can hit 3-5 irons reasonably well but the hybrids are so easy and natural to hit and I think more about hitting target than striking the ball when when standing over it.

5i. Because I'm in love with my hybrids and don't really want to switch them out, and the corresponding 5i hybrid in my set has a large offset, which just didn't meet my eye.

4 iron. Fits my yardage gaps perfectly, and gives me a club that I can consistently keep really low when I want/need to.

Same for me, although I am thinking of pulling the 4i and slipping in a 5h

For me, it's a 5i, and if I'm playing a "chunkier" iron set, I might throw the 4i in there, but since putting in more time with the 4h, I'm not sure that will continue to be the case. I've tried 5 hybrids at demo days and compared them to my 5i, but I'm more comfortable with the iron there. Distance is probably a bit more consistent with the hybrid, but I find I square up the iron better. Now, I'd be interested in trying something like the Altitude or Fli-hi in that spot - that might be the best of both worlds.

6 iron for me. I have even considered going to a 6 hybrid, but when I did some side by side I really did not get any benefits from the dispersion. The benefit would primarily come from the trajectory, and the 6 hybrid tends to balloon a little for me.

4 Iron. It's the longest iron that I can hit consistently and maneuver the ball with well.

In my old set it was a 3i but since picking up the Z545 it is currently a 5i

I haven't decided if I am going to get the 4i to match the set, or whether to put a hybrid in the bag to fill a bit of a gap that I have between the 5i and 5w. I have no doubt that the 4i will be easy enough to hit but I am going to give hybrids a fair crack at the chance to fill the spot

I am leaning towards the 4i if I am honest as I do hit the long irons well and in theory the 4i should be a little bit more versatile than a hybrid

4 iron. Seems to fit my gaps, and is a better option for me over a 4 hybrid for the following reasons:

I carry a 3 hybrid, and I love it. I can manipulate it anywhere from 230 down to 200 if I need it to, and it's a solid shorter option off the tee. What I find is sometimes I like the confidence of a long iron off the tee, and having a 4 hybrid doesn't give me that option, so I like carrying a 4 iron for those times. I own a 4 hybrid and sometimes put it in the bag on longer courses, but overall I just prefer the option of having a 4 iron in there.

I used to have a 3i and would never think of going back to that one. I see no benefit in my personal game for a 3 iron over a 3 hybrid.

4i - I've spent hours comparing my modern cavity backed 4i against numerous hybrids. I like a hybrid for the 2/3 iron slot, but my 4i is very easy to hit. Its FAR better off the tee and for punch out shots for under trees too. TO me, seems there's this prevalent stigma against long irons, which isn't considering modern cavity backed long irons. I really think people buy into this and give up on their long irons and perhaps are still thinking of the old blade style long irons that were tough to hit, not considering the new cavity backed long irons that are very easy to hit and extremely forgiving ...

6i for me ... I have hybrid that works well for 5i

The longest iron I carry is a 5 iron. Which last season I got really confident with.
I have only been playing seriously for 4 years. I read an article that you shouldn't carry a longer iron then a 5 iron. I have subscribed to that theory. My highest lofted hybrid I carry is 23 degree. I would carry a higher lofted hybrid if my 5 iron starts to fail me.

PW, don't carry any irons currently

When I order my next set of irons in a couple of weeks (XR Pros), I plan on getting 5I-PW. I already got a regular XR 4H which I really like (although strangely I couldn't hit the 3H at all). For whatever reason (right or wrong), my assumption is that I should be more accurate with an iron than hybrid at this spot in the bag. So, if I end up struggling with the 5I, I will work on my swing first before I consider replacing it with a 5H. However, if I end up having a big gap with the 4H, I would consider getting a 5H and dropping my 54* and 58* wedges and replacing with a 56* wedge.

Back