What is the primary reason for slow play?

What is the primary reason for slow play?

• Golfers who aren’t ready to play on the course

Votes: 189 58.5%
  • Playing tees too long

Votes: 105 32.5%
  • Golf technology - lasering the pin on every shot

Votes: 28 8.7%
  • Personal technology - cell phones are the devil

Votes: 38 11.8%
  • That 5th practice swing

Votes: 143 44.3%
  • Reading putts from 360° and using a protractor

Votes: 118 36.5%
  • Tee times only 8 minutes apart

Votes: 148 45.8%
  • Alcohol

Votes: 63 19.5%

• Total voters
Chose multiples, always seems like when it rains it pours situation. They all start to pile up when they typically seem oblivious or just don’t care. I played a short par 4 before and the group in front was still on the tee because they didn’t want to hit into a single walking off the green before, they hit (crooked) and searched for a while to find the guy who hit the furthest ball (5 min) then waved me through. Once I reached them going toward my ball which landed a little past about 235 ish (I’m a short hitter by all accounts) swearing it was 300’s I told them not even close, by that point they found the monster drive and seen I had a range finder and asked me to shoot it back to the tee. The guy who “crushed” it argued that it was broken when it only showed 217 off the tee. I think the biggest issues revolve around the etiquette and a realization that most of us are never going to approach PGA levels of ability which would require moving up tees (heaven forbid), or playing with more concern for others on the course at the same time most seem to get into a bubble like they own or are the only ones on the course.

I selected all except for tee times 8 minutes apart.
Lastly, this meant something else to me Golfers who aren’t ready to play on the course
That to me did not mean someone who's not warmed up or anything like that.

I'm not picking fights here but I am baffled by the people saying if you're not good enough you can't play on their golf course...back to the par 3 course where you belong.

What gives anyone the right to tell someone they can't play because, they think, you're not good enough. Talk about being an welcoming.

If I pay $80 to $100 and it's the first time I have gotten out in a month, I'm going to enjoy it. I am still considerate to other golfers but I'm not going to feel rushed and have my day ruined.

I'm not on the course to run from shot to shot and break time records. I'm there to have fun.

Easily the most overblown topic on these boards.
Not to single you out, and I'm not even saying this in a mean-spirited way: but "I paid my money and I'm going to play the way I want to" is plain and simple the definition of Golf Inconsideration.

If you're on the interstate running 70 and everyone else is running 80, that's a you problem. Get in the right lane and let them by.

If you're on the golf course with open holes in front and a group/groups is/are pushing you, hit your tee shots and let them go. Or sit in the cart when you finish putting out and let them go.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I selected all except for tee times 8 minutes apart.

You missed a big one. 8 minute tee times are nothing more than a bean counter’s idea to generate more revenue. The problem is, the more golfers you try to cram onto the course in a given period of time, the more congestion you end up with. That means more backups at certain choke points (i.e., drivable par 4’s, short par fives), and that means more slow play. Where I play, I’ve seen as many as four foursomes waiting on tee boxes because of these factors.

More recently, we’ve gone to 9 minute tee times, and while that may not sound like much the effect has been amazing. On any given day, we see the same number of golfers that we’d seen with 8 minute times (actually more in these covid times), but that extra minute basically accordions out and relieves pressure everywhere. And in the end, you end up with more revenue because people aren’t getting pissed off after a bad experience and finding other courses to play at. 🤷‍♂️

I don't think anyone is talking about needing to rush, or to run from shot to shot. This has never been about walking too slowly, and it's not about poor play either. I've had rounds where I've lost 7-8 balls (sadly) and still finished in under 4 hrs.

Judging from the responses, it's mostly about people simply not being ready to hit when it's their turn. Fix that one thing, by making good, considerate use of the time when others are hitting, and pace of play improves dramatically. No rushing needed, not even a little.

I think it's good that we are all respectful of the experiences of our fellow golfers (it's one of the things I like about the game), but in response to the rationale of "I paid my money, I should be able to play at my own pace", I would ask "everyone else paid too -- what about THEIR pace, or should they all be forced to play at the pace of the slowest group?". If a group doesn't want to be rushed, that's fine, but there is already a well-established solution for this -- let the faster groups play through.

Not to single you out, and I'm not even saying this in a mean-spirited way: but "I paid my money and I'm going to play the way I want to" is plain and simple the definition of Golf Inconsideration.

If you're on the interstate running 70 and everyone else is running 80, that's a you problem. Get in the right lane and let them by.

If you're on the golf course with open holes in front and a group/groups is/are pushing you, hit your tee shots and let them go. Or sit in the cart when you finish putting out and let them go.

I don't disagree with your comment at all. If there is/are open holes in front of you then you should let people play through.

I will, sometimes, pay too much attention to pace and feel like I am rushing my group and can ruin my day.

Everyone needs to stop thinking they are going to play a sub 4 hour round on a public course on a Sunday. Just not going to happen.

I went with the proximity of tee times.

Different people play at different speeds. It doesn't mean that anyone is in the wrong (as long as the pace is reasonable,) but if you have 3 faster groups behind two slower groups, you'll bottleneck very quickly.

We've all been in the position where we feel like the round is taking forever - watching the group in front of us play more slowly than we do - only to check the time at the turn and realize you made it round in 1:45. Not a slow round by any means for a busy golf course. Perhaps if groups weren't sent off right on top of one another, it wouldn't feel so slow.

I'm not picking fights here but I am baffled by the people saying if you're not good enough you can't play on their golf course...back to the par 3 course where you belong.

What gives anyone the right to tell someone they can't play because, they think, you're not good enough. Talk about being an welcoming.

Well, what gives the USGA the right to tell someone they can't play in the US Open, or one of the other tournaments they run? Easy. They're not good enough!

We are lucky to have 36 holes of public, Donald Ross designed golf locally. And it's public. What I have seen here is guys trying to teach their wives or girlfriends the game while playing a round when the course is packed! I've have seriously wanted to brain some of these dumbbells! And they act like the course is empty, and take offense if something is said. And you can see that the women are feeling the pressure.

If you want to teach someone the game, take them to the range, or maybe buy them lessons. Then take them to the par 3 course, one of which is available in the park! In short, just have a little bit of common sense! And courtesy.

Honestly, I don’t think there is bad intent by anyone, it’s more ignorance. IMHO there are three main reasons for slow play:

Hurts... 1.) tee times too close together - every foresome is going to have 1 or 2 slow holes, tee times should be no less than 10 min apart.

Hurts... 2.) course architecture- courses built during the boon of the 80s-2000’s were about how difficult they can be andbuilt on a lot of acreage...a lot of distance between a green and the next tee.... Is there really a need for heavy rough or a bunker a 100yds off the tee. None of these design concepts equate to good pace of play.

Bigger cause... 3.) Players not understanding how to manage pace of play/poor cart management.
Playing Ready golf, and I’m not saying hit when you feel like it, but be ready when it’s your turn.
some POOR examples:
- Player A sits in cart while Plater B hits, then they drive to Player A’s ball who hits.... repeat...
- When on the green, waiting to read your putt until it’s your turn.

Bigger cause... Driving Carts - everyone says carts make things faster, but I often feel this is the cause of slow play. Used correctly of course it will speed up play but a majority of the time, that I have seen they are not used correctly,
I get it, it’s a revenue stream. I’ll pay your cart fee, but let me walk and trust me, 90% of the time, I’ll play faster than the two that are in the cart.

I have seen it and been part of a 4some where a player or two shoots a 110, but we finish in under 4 hours.
A great quote from a dear friend of mine, “if you’re going to suck, suck fast!”

Slow players?

As I noted in my post, I’ve played with a couple guys in my foursome who shoot +100 but we finish in under 4 hours..... this is not the cause.

You missed a big one. 8 minute tee times are nothing more than a bean counter’s idea to generate more revenue. The problem is, the more golfers you try to cram onto the course in a given period of time, the more congestion you end up with. That means more backups at certain choke points (i.e., drivable par 4’s, short par fives), and that means more slow play. Where I play, I’ve seen as many as four foursomes waiting on tee boxes because of these factors.

More recently, we’ve gone to 9 minute tee times, and while that may not sound like much the effect has been amazing. On any given day, we see the same number of golfers that we’d seen with 8 minute times (actually more in these covid times), but that extra minute basically accordions out and relieves pressure everywhere. And in the end, you end up with more revenue because people aren’t getting pissed off after a bad experience and finding other courses to play at. 🤷‍♂️
I stated no less than 10 minutes in my post, but it should actually be the average of how long it takes a group to reach the first green.

When you show up at the first tee and there are already 3 groups on the tee box and 1 waiting in the fairway, you know it is going to be a long day.

We definitely played faster when everyone had their own cart. Ready golf was played by all. But I don't think the courses are going to allow 4 carts per group.

Well according to my poll threads a fair majority here clean their grooves well after shots, and their ball when you get to the green, and have pre-shot routines, and look at putts from both directions, so ..

.. I've been meaning to combine those thread into a 'Are you SURE you're not a slow player?' thread and poll.

most of my experience with slow play is from people that don't realize/care that others are waiting to play (i.e. ******* around and taking extra swings/balls)

The reason for slow play is that slow players don't think there slow plain and simple.

most of my experience with slow play is from people that don't realize/care that others are waiting to play (i.e. ******* around and taking extra swings/balls)
Yep. A little self-awareness goes a long way

No accountability or incentive to speed it up.

Combined with the “I paid my money, and I’m going to enjoy my round” attitude....🙄

Wrong tees, Tour like prep without Tour like play, people thinking that their tee time is the only time that matters, I can go on

I am more and more convinced that slow play is a boogeyman and not really a problem and even if it were, it's not that big of a deal and too many people are in a rush anyways. The outside is lovely and being on the course is a treat. Enjoy it.

I am more and more convinced that slow play is a boogeyman and not really a problem and even if it were, it's not that big of a deal and too many people are in a rush anyways. The outside is lovely and being on the course is a treat. Enjoy it.
There are 3 courses in my area that use 8 minute tee time intervals and I’ve never played a midday round at any of them in under 5 hours (small 6ish round sample size). I think it is a problem sometimes and some places, but I wish more people thought like you. My playing partners made it seem like spending 5 hours drinking beer and playing golf was an excruciating experience, although their game did admittedly suffer.

Back