What is the primary reason for slow play?

What is the primary reason for slow play?

• Golfers who aren’t ready to play on the course

Votes: 189 58.5%
  • Playing tees too long

Votes: 105 32.5%
  • Golf technology - lasering the pin on every shot

Votes: 28 8.7%
  • Personal technology - cell phones are the devil

Votes: 38 11.8%
  • That 5th practice swing

Votes: 143 44.3%
  • Reading putts from 360° and using a protractor

Votes: 118 36.5%
  • Tee times only 8 minutes apart

Votes: 148 45.8%
  • Alcohol

Votes: 63 19.5%

• Total voters
Usually around 5 hours. I have played near 6 hour rounds...have also played a few near 4 hours but most are 5. It's gets busy Sundays around here.
Being retired means I can play weekdays and not on weekends. One of the main reasons I quit playing years ago was because of unbearably slow rounds like that.

The people whose game goes to hell when it's slow are mentally weak when it comes to golf. They would be the easiest golfers to beat in a match.

There are a few guys at my club like that. If they have to wait AT ALL, even if we’re on or ahead of pace, they whine and complain and their game goes to crap, and I take their money.

For anybody interested in playing faster rounds of golf, if you can secure one of the first 2 or 3 morning times of the day I guarantee pace of play will be reasonably good.

Chose multiples, always seems like when it rains it pours situation. They all start to pile up when they typically seem oblivious or just don’t care. I played a short par 4 before and the group in front was still on the tee because they didn’t want to hit into a single walking off the green before, they hit (crooked) and searched for a while to find the guy who hit the furthest ball (5 min) then waved me through. Once I reached them going toward my ball which landed a little past about 235 ish (I’m a short hitter by all accounts) swearing it was 300’s I told them not even close, by that point they found the monster drive and seen I had a range finder and asked me to shoot it back to the tee. The guy who “crushed” it argued that it was broken when it only showed 217 off the tee. I think the biggest issues revolve around the etiquette and a realization that most of us are never going to approach PGA levels of ability which would require moving up tees (heaven forbid), or playing with more concern for others on the course at the same time most seem to get into a bubble like they own or are the only ones on the course.

You’ve seen how fast I can suck. 😂

So slow play can’t be blamed totally on crap golfing nor crappy golfers. When I feel I’m slow its when I lose a lot of balls I should find. That’s the only thing that’ll hold me up. I feel it should be here and it’s not? What do I do? Do I look long, no but do that 5/6 times and it adds up.

I generally will walk away really quick. But a minute or two a couple times can be too much.

For anybody interested in playing faster rounds of golf, if you can secure one of the first 2 or 3 morning times of the day I guarantee pace of play will be reasonably good.

Unless you get stuck behind the 5hr first round. BTDT. It sucks but it happens.

Unless you get stuck behind the 5hr first round. BTDT. It sucks but it happens.

The first three groups of the day do not play 5 hour rounds. It does not happen, period.

So slow play can’t be blamed totally on crap golfing nor crappy golfers.
Before he moved, I played with a gentleman who quite simply was a horrible golfer. But, Lord bless him, he absolutely loved the game, was a super nice guy to be around, and was one of the fastest golfers I've ever seen. Just because someone struggles with the game does not mean they are inherently slow.

Slow play yesterday was due to young (age 20-25) dudes in fivesomes (yes, there was more than one group) on a drinking binge, pissing in the parking lot, pulling push carts (?), and bitching about things like how they only had 4 coors left each at the turn. I don't think the yelling was helping them play better either. :rolleyes: They were slightly amusing but mostly pathetic in their self-absorbed behavior. And we all had to wait because of them.:mad:

I know you say that in jest but there is a butterfly effect concerning slow players. I know that when I get behind a slow group, I essentially slow down my own play so that I'm not standing and waiting on every single shot. I'm certain that same flow travels downhill. All it takes is one or two groups on a course to slow the entire place to a crawl.

To be clear, I never slow down enough that there is actually open space between me and the group in front of me but I definitely slow down if Ive been constantly waiting for 3-4 holes.

I’m just the opposite. If I’m having to wait I want to be waiting on the back bumper of the cart in front of me as much as possible. They’re not going to play faster or let me play through if they don’t feel like they’re holding me up. They may not anyway, but I don’t want them to have any excuse for not doing so.

Slow play is caused by slow people. They do everything slow. That's how they live their life. That's just who they are. That's their personality. In everyday life it's no big deal. But on the golf course . . .

I’m just the opposite. If I’m having to wait I want to be waiting on the back bumper of the cart in front of me as much as possible. They’re not going to play faster or let me play through if they don’t feel like they’re holding me up. They may not anyway, but I don’t want them to have any excuse for not doing so.
I hate slow play too but I'm assuming you mean you're on their bumper IF there's some open space for you to play through to, right? We had a couple guys doing stuff like that yesterday and it eventually rattled one of the guys in our group bad enough to bleed over into his game. We were 3 stuck behind back to back 5somes and waiting way too long on every tee and approach ever since catching the cluster-eff ahead of us on #3. The 4some behind us (members I think as course was an hour from home for us?) could clearly see us (and often the 5some just ahead of us) continually waiting to play just like they were. Yet those guys thought that somehow posturing and even driving up and parking beside us as we hit was going to part the seas.

I hate slow play too but I'm assuming you mean you're on their bumper IF there's some open space for you to play through to, right? We had a couple guys doing stuff like that yesterday and it eventually rattled one of the guys in our group bad enough to bleed over into his game. We were 3 stuck behind back to back 5somes and waiting way too long on every tee and approach ever since catching the cluster-eff ahead of us on #3. The 4some behind us (members I think as course was an hour from home for us?) could clearly see us (and often the 5some just ahead of us) continually waiting to play just like they were. Yet those guys thought that somehow posturing and even driving up and parking beside us as we hit was going to part the seas.
When we have a situation like that, I tell the group behind us "We'd gladly let you play through, but there's nowhere to go unless you skip about 5 holes - it's all backed up in front of us". That usually takes care of the passive aggressive behavior. If not, the next conversation won't be quite so polite.

I voted when this first was posted and voted for five things. They were the five least voted for then and still are. Guess different generations look things differently.

I’m using “on the bumper” figuratively, but in my mind there’s value in staying on the tail of the group in front of you even if there isn’t an opening ahead of them. It’ll at least keep them moving at the best pace they can (assuming they care). To be clear, I don’t mean pulling up beside people or giving them the business...just playing my shots as soon as I can and making sure they know we’re back there.

When we have a situation like that, I tell the group behind us "We'd gladly let you play through, but there's nowhere to go unless you skip about 5 holes - it's all backed up in front of us". That usually takes care of the passive aggressive behavior. If not, the next conversation won't be quite so polite.

Yes, singles, twosomes, threesomes etc... pressing from behind is absurd if what's ahead lies multiple groups of players. Whether a group should be allowed to play thru is all about if the preceding holes are open or filled with players.

Interesting to see how this poll has aged. Some are a lot closer than I thought they’d be! I’m still sticking with not being ready, close tee times, and alcohol (with a qualifier being excessive consumption).

I voted when this first was posted and voted for five things. They were the five least voted for then and still are. Guess different generations look things differently.
What led you to the conclusion that there was a generational pattern in the results?

There are quite a few golfers who enjoy being on the course. Its a relaxing time. They are not in a hurry. It's a social event. Plus the older crowd really doesn't have any thing else going on.
Ssoooo, it only takes one group of these guys to jack up an entire course. At any given day there are 3 or 4 groups of these types of players just enjoying themselves and in no hurry what so ever.
So that's the problem... but to them there is no problem.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Because I'm old and don't agree with quite a lot of what I read on this site, and others. Don't make a lot of comments but still occasionally manage to step on peoples toes.

All of the above.

The one that annoys me most is leaving bags in stupid places around the green. Leave it on the side of the next tee, not where you have to walk back to the far side to pick it up, then walk all the way across again.

Like traffic, one delay affects everything behind it. That first delay can probably be attributed to a guy that just doesn't know how to play fast (e.g., looks too long for lost balls, only brings one club across the fairway and has to go back for another, isn't ready when it's his turn, hits his bogey attempt from one bunker and across the green into another and then spends 30 seconds complaining about the sand rather than hustling over to set up for his double-bogey attempt, tells jokes when it's his turn to hit, parks his cart 30 yards short to hit his pitch shot then goes back to the cart and drives 30 yards to park the cart greenside before grabbing his putter, takes a poll and writes down everyone's scores while sitting in the cart next to the green, reads the green from all angles before lining up his 3' triple-bogey putt, takes 6 practice swings, is never ready when it's his turn to hit, or, is too busy giving or asking for advice at the wrong times...).

I’m using “on the bumper” figuratively, but in my mind there’s value in staying on the tail of the group in front of you even if there isn’t an opening ahead of them. It’ll at least keep them moving at the best pace they can (assuming they care). To be clear, I don’t mean pulling up beside people or giving them the business...just playing my shots as soon as I can and making sure they know we’re back there.
Not piling on, as it's all good discussion, but I'm just not sure that what you're stating accomplishes much when a course is already crammed with golfers ahead? I'm betting that in most cases the group you're making sure 'knows we're back there' already does know but is simply powerless to do much to move along the frustrating traffic jam ahead of them. Pressuring a group in a situation like that might suck some of their enjoyment from their round, or even derail a good round like it did for a friend in my group on Monday. All for absolutely zero tangible time saving benefit? IDK what else we could've done Monday? Several holes earlier we'd apologized and essentially said what @Snowman suggested (below) - even though WE knew that THEY already knew that. Fed up with how it all was impacting my friend I eventually solved it all by taking a different tact while waiting to head up to 16 tee. At least for the last few holes it kept the chief instigator from repeating his posturing and shenanigans and emasculated him more than a little bit too.

Last edited:
Not piling on, as it's all good discussion, but I'm just not sure that what you're stating accomplishes much when a course is already crammed with golfers ahead? I'm betting that in most cases the group you're making sure 'knows we're back there' already does know but is simply powerless to do much to move along the frustrating traffic jam ahead of them. Pressuring a group in a situation like that might suck some of their enjoyment from their round, or even derail a good round like it did for a friend in my group on Monday. All for absolutely zero tangible time saving benefit? IDK what else we could've done Monday? Several holes earlier we'd apologized and essentially said what @Snowman suggested (below) - even though WE knew that THEY already knew that. Fed up with how it all was impacting my friend I eventually solved it all by taking a different tact while waiting to head up to 16 tee. At least for the last few holes it kept the chief instigator from repeating his posturing and shenanigans and emasculated him more than a little bit too.

I totally get what you’re saying and agree that I likely get no tangible benefit from moving as quickly as traffic will allow. I suppose it mostly comes down to the fact that if everybody takes the attitude of “why hurry when we know we’re not going anywhere”, that will slow things down even more. I dang sure don’t want to be the reason people behind me are waiting any longer than necessary.

Because I'm old and don't agree with quite a lot of what I read on this site, and others. Don't make a lot of comments but still occasionally manage to step on peoples toes.
You are entitled to your opinion and I and others want to hear your opinions. In fact, that is kinda the point of these polls. But your original post suggested your opinion of what causes slow play was shared by most people in your generation. I asked to see if in fact you had any basis for making such an assertion.

Back