What is the reason to join a Country Club?

golfguy2021

Reaction score
I live in Northern Virginia and I am interested in joining a country club. There are several CC near where I live:

- Westwood CC in Vienna, Virginia; about 7 minutes drive
- Trump National CC in Sterling Virginia: about 45 minutes drive
- Riverbend CC in Great Falls Virginia: about 20 minutes drive
- Congressional CC in Bethesda Maryland: about 30 minutes drive

These CCs require at least 87K initiation fee, about 10k/year annual due, and about $800/month in food and drink. The exception is Trump national that requires 25K initiation fee.

I was very interested in joining one of the CCs until yesterday when I think more about it. With 100K that I have to spend on the first year, I can play serious amount of golf just about anywhere in the US on public golf courses, why ties myself to a single CCs and the food at these CC's are neither healthy nor good. There are so many excellent golf courses in Fairfax County Virginia and Montgomery County Maryland that I don't think I need to join one of these CCs.

What are the reasons that people join these CCs? Status and to show that they have lot of $$$?

Why do people pay that kind of money to join a country club? To tell people they’ve paid that kind of money to join a country club of course 😊.

Why do people pay that kind of money to join a country club? To tell people they’ve paid that kind of money to join a country club of course 😊.
Not necessarily. Lots of items to consider and most country clubs offer more than just golf in the form of social.

Well, if you've money to burn, and I do mean burn, why not? The courses I assume are very nice. I assume there are lots of other amenities. My neighbor to one side has friends/business associates that regularly invite him to play at their private club. The course is very nice and tee times are no problem at all.

But, man... $100k to play golf...? Not me. Not even if I had ten times the money I have.

That’s a lot of money. I am a member at a local club, but would not have joined at the prices you mentioned.

For me, it’s all about access to golf. Play 2x most weekends and sneak in an evening round 1x a weeknight. Public tee times are hard to come by around me so it’s all about the access.

Not necessarily. Lots of items to consider and most country clubs offer more than just golf in the form of social.
They’d have to offer so much more than golf. Here in the UK, you could play an awesome course literally every day of the year for that kind of money. All the courses on the Open rota and hundreds more world class courses.

Not sure any club is worth that , seems to me it’s about prestige of membership , that name dropping and business deals may prevail... Now if I was going to a golf course of some repute , I would be there for the 18 holes or what ever number the facility has , and the experience on the grass not the deals and kissin a...e

While those costs are far too expensive for my budget, there are obviously many corporations and individuals that can afford pay those sort of fees and find it worth the price. (And I have no problem with that)

There are a few courses around me that have those sort of dues and initiation fees.

There are also many clubs that have lower dues and NO initiation fees. The 9 hole track I belong to (established in 1900) is a little less than $300/mo. for an individual membership and slightly more for a family. No initiation fees, No minimum spending No tee times and No cart fees. (You read that right…. No cart fees). We also do not have a pool, tennis courts or a Pro on staff. It is a “Golf Club”, not a “Country Club”

Probably an unusual model, as far as private clubs go, but it has everything I require. We have a great bunch of fellow members/friends and the course is in outstanding shape.

I’d guess there may be some of those types of courses around you also. They (probably) won’t have the level of services, amenities or big name wow factor as the courses noted in your post, but may offer what you’re looking for at a price you find affordable.

The biggest benefit of belonging to a club (IMO) is the ease of access to a the course, social functions offered, and friendships formed with fellow members.

Last edited:
These CCs require at least 87K initiation fee, about 10k/year annual due, and about $800/month in food and drink. The exception is Trump national that requires 25K initiation fee.

I was very interested in joining one of the CCs until yesterday when I think more about it. With 100K that I have to spend on the first year, I can play serious amount of golf just about anywhere in the US on public golf courses, why ties myself to a single CCs and the food at these CC's are neither healthy nor good.

How much of the $87k is refundable after X years of membership? In my experience, a large percentage of the initiation fee is refundable. There are non-refundable memberships with a much lower initiation fee. Is this the difference between Trump National and the others? $800 per month for food and drink is pretty steep. Sounds like you're considering high-end clubs. Justifying the "golf value" is not part of the rationale for places like this.

If you play golf for business reasons, that is a great way to do it....and engage with your management, often they will kick in if you are a key employee. The social aspect. And last the creation of a place for your children to learn the game.

That’s a lot of money. I am a member at a local club, but would not have joined at the prices you mentioned.

For me, it’s all about access to golf. Play 2x most weekends and sneak in an evening round 1x a weeknight. Public tee times are hard to come by around me so it’s all about the access.

True. However, the $$ is relative. These clubs are likely not hurting for membership.

The biggest benefit of belonging to a club (IMO) is the ease of access to a the course, social functions offered, and friendships formed with fellow members.

As a golf newbie, I play golf at public golf courses in both Fairfax county Virginia and Montgomery County Maryland and I already make quite a few friends there. I get their contact info and we play a few times a week even though I suck, LOL... We usually go out and grab a bite at places like Morton Steak house or some other fancy restaurants. They are definitely better than food like cheeseburgers and fries at the country club, right?

There are so many good public golf courses in Virginia and Maryland that, IMHO, I just can not justify paying that kind of money for a private country club.

How much of the $87k is refundable after X years of membership? In my experience, a large percentage of the initiation fee is refundable. There are non-refundable memberships with a much lower initiation fee. Is this the difference between Trump National and the others? $800 per month for food and drink is pretty steep. Sounds like you're considering high-end clubs. Justifying the "golf value" is not part of the rationale for places like this.

I didn't have time to dig into it but the 87K at Westwood CC is non-refundable. In Northern Virginia, close proximity is very important because of the traffic congestion. There is a big difference between driving to Sterling and Vienna.

Not sure any club is worth that , seems to me it’s about prestige of membership , that name dropping and business deals may prevail... Now if I was going to a golf course of some repute , I would be there for the 18 holes or what ever number the facility has , and the experience on the grass not the deals and kissin a...e

Does it mean that playing golf is good for someone who is young and just finished college? I am asking because my nephew is asking me about this the other day.

Paying 87k is a lot, but to each person and family that is up to them on how much is too much.

I will say I tell my kids ALL the time to consider joining a country club when they are starting their family. I had that choice years ago and decided to use 50k plus to build a swimming pool. We have had fantastic memories the past 15+ years, but my wife and I also see the downside now. Kids are older and moved out yet we have a giant pool to continue and maintain for just the two of us. We used the pool every weekend and frankly never socialized except with our kids friends’ parents. Thus, not a lot of friends to socialize with now. And I could go on. We have our core few.

If I could turn the clock back, I would have taken the 50K and joined a country club that had all the amenities. We would have much better options as the kids got older with so many things you never think of when younger. Like a building a network in business, or a place to have your kids’ weddings. This world is built on who you know. Belonging to a country club will help with that area vs being a home body every weekend or only talking to the people you work with.

There are way more benefits when belonging to a country club then golf.

Last edited:
A lot to consider. I’ve belonged to two clubs in my life. I got married later in life and being with my family and my kids activities far outweighed my desire to play golf or to be social during those years. I feel like I wasted a lot of money that could have been focused on education or something else. Also if your spouse doesn’t like the club life it can be a wedge. I’m back to public golf and it fits my life better

Paying 87k is a lot, but to each person and family that is up to them on how much is too much.

I will say I tell my kids ALL the time to consider joining a country club when they are starting their family. I had that choice years ago and decided to use 50k plus to build a swimming pool. We have had fantastic memories the past 15+ years, but my wife and I also see the downside now. Kids are older and moved out yet we have a giant pool to continue and maintain for just the two of us. We used the pool every weekend and frankly never socialized except with our kids friends’ parents. Thus, not a lot of friends to socialize with now. And I could go on. We have our core few.

If I could turn the clock back, I would have taken the 50K and joined a country club that had all the amenities. We would have much better options as the kids got older with so many things you never think of when younger. Like a building a network in business, or a place to have your kids’ weddings. This world is built on who you know. Belonging to a country club will help with that area vs being a home body every weekend or only talking to the people you work with.

There are way more benefits when belonging to a country club then golf.

Ive been looking into getting a boat and your experience lends me to believe that same money could be used elsewhere.

Ive been looking into getting a boat and your experience lends me to believe that same money could be used elsewhere.
Had a boat back long ago. Yes, very similar unless you get into that with other groups that have boats of their own. More socializing then.

Funny how they always say “happiest day of a guy’s life is the day he buys a boat. Second happiest day is the one he sells it”. 😂.

So true.

Wow...and I thought a grand to join my local club was a rip off :ROFLMAO:

Wow...and I thought a grand to join my local club was a rip off :ROFLMAO:

Lol! My club costs $2500.00 annually and I could only afford to join when they were looking for members and waived the $1500.00 initiation fee!

At those prices, they're all going to be exquisite places.

You pay that kind of money you're rubbing elbows with the elite. Northern Va. has been inundated with well off Federal Employees and all that entails. Used to be solid middle class -- no longer.

Personally, see nothing wrong with joining if you have the dough.

Good Golfing

check on reciprocal privileges - that usually allows you to play at similar level clubs. Closeness to get max usage is important, you can stop and use range or play a few holes in the evening. At that cost though you will have members that are similar in socioeconomic status - won't be many young people starting in life, mid income people, etc.

I joined a much lower cost club where people from all walks of life were enthusiastic about golf, relaxing, and having a good time. Wasn't too fancy, but had a pool and locker room. Had lots of events from casual games to tournaments.

As a golf newbie, I play golf at public golf courses in both Fairfax county Virginia and Montgomery County Maryland and I already make quite a few friends there. I get their contact info and we play a few times a week even though I suck, LOL... We usually go out and grab a bite at places like Morton Steak house or some other fancy restaurants. They are definitely better than food like cheeseburgers and fries at the country club, right?

There are so many good public golf courses in Virginia and Maryland that, IMHO, I just can not justify paying that kind of money for a private country club.
Gotcha… You had asked for reasons to join a club. I gave you mine.

Our public and Muni courses are packed, relatively expensive and hard to get on so, the club I belong to was my best choice (and best cost option….a round on the public tracks can be $65-125 per round). I can walk on and play almost any day/time without a wait.

Even if Morton’s or similar eatery were options (which they’re not) I doubt I’d be visiting one after a round with any regularity. Our grill room offers a variety of pretty good food and is sufficient.

With an abundance of courses and dining options in in your area and a crew of friends it sounds like you’ve already worked out the pros and cons of it all and are happy with what your current situation. If that’s the case, why even bother with considering a private course?

I enjoy our course b/c it’s less than 10 minutes away, and easy to get tee times. Can go to the range, or play 3,5,9, or however many holes we feel like, anytime. We also use the pool a lot in the summer. My oldest (9 years old) is on the junior golf team and really enjoys it.

We don’t pay anywhere near the fees you mentioned though.

Back