What is the Second Best Major?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Presented without commentary since the majority view the Masters as the best? With that said we know not everybody does.

What is the second best major and why?

The open championship. I love waking up to Major golf and being able to play after it.

Depends on the year and the venues for me. Some years it is The Open and some years The US Open. Rarely do I consider the PGA Championship even close to being as prestigious. My second favorite event after The Masters is the Ryder Cup though.

The Open Championship

US Open has become #4 lately. USGA is lost.

The Open Championship. It has the history and tradition. Links golf is challenging and interesting. I like how the R&A allows the players to play the course as the conditions are whether that is wind, rain or sun baked courses.

I have lost some respect for the US Open because of the USGA protect par attitude. That has resulted in somewhat unreasonable course conditions.

Reactions: Ooo
I really like watching the open...like seeing players try to figure out those crazy fairways and pot bunkers. Oh and putting from 50 yards off the green.

1. The Open the history, the courses, and it’s an Open
2. US Open the USGA tries it’s best to screw it up at times, but it’s our Natty.... and it’s an Open.
3. The Masters harbinger of Spring, feels like Opening Day of the golf season, but weakest field of the 4.
4. Probably belongs ahead of the Masters, but isn’t,.. Strong field, excellent golf courses.

Open Championship. You never hear of course setup issues, the only negative you hear about it is the weather and the favorable draw that comes with it. Something that's impossible to control is the one thing that causes issue.

Depends on the year and course. I love both the Open and the US open. I love seeing a different style of golf and weather in the Open and I love the difficulty of the course for the US open. It really is dependent on the course that year.

The Open Championship

US Open has become #4 lately. USGA is lost.

I love that the PGA of America is playing its tournament on great courses. The course selection has raised the PGA in my mind. Southern Hills, Bethpage Black, Oak Hill, Harding Park, Kiawah and Whistling Straits are all great courses

Used to be the US Open to me but that’s become a joke in itself with the same talk leading up to it, during, and after.

Now it’s pretty clear The Open Championship because they let the course and weather do whatever it wants and challenge the players however it is.

If we decide that the masters is one. Then number two is the open.

I love the Open Championship. It's fun to watch them play old school style of golf and the history of the event is pretty amazing. Plus watching some of the crazy weather is pretty entertaining.

Assuming the Masters is #1, I only have one answer for #2.
1618361494559.jpeg

ANA Inspiration

The open is for sure the second best in my opinion, although some years I like the us open depending on the course.

I'm with many, The Open is the answer.

The open because watching them miss the ball in the rough or taking 3 to get out of the bunker makes me realize they are human.

The open is for sure the second best in my opinion, although some years I like the us open depending on the course.

But even given some of the best courses in the US, the USGA has found a way to screw it up. What they did at Shinnecock is inexcusable.

Second best is the Masters. Best is The Open.
I agree with this, I just said the open is two if the question says the masters is #1

Back