What is the Second Best Major?

I feel like the US Open is the only Major that goes overly aggressive on the 'trickery' and it's backfired horribly more than it hasn't lately.
The USGA screws up basically everything they touch, and the U.S. Open is no exception.

I'll go with the Masters as 1a and the Open Championship as 1b. My only problem with the Open is that it's harder to watch because of the time difference - but DVR takes care of that issue nicely.

The USGA screws up basically everything they touch, and the U.S. Open is no exception.

I'll go with the Masters as 1a and the Open Championship as 1b. My only problem with the Open is that it's harder to watch because of the time difference - but DVR takes care of that issue nicely.
I really just think they are lost in their identity. They talk about inclusion for all levels of play out of one side of their mouth, and then talk about making golf impossible at the highest stage out of the other side.

Not unlike the Open Championship, they need to accept that weather will play the biggest role on the results of their tournament, and to put their best foot forward in hopes that it works out... and that includes accepting that some locations, especially some older venues, are not viable for insanely fast greens.

I really liked the US Open and how they tried to make it so the winner was one of the only players under par. Adding to that, I enjoyed how Fox broadcasted it (speaking to cameras and the angles they used, not the talking). Something about how it was presented was cool to me. Believe it’s with NBC now (correct me if that’s wrong), so I hope they take some notes and use some of the similar styles. They better copy that “iPhone portrait” mode CBS used on players as they walked from shot to shot last weekend.

I feel like the US Open is the only Major that goes overly aggressive on the 'trickery' and it's backfired horribly more than it hasn't lately.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the future. The next two venues are Torrey and the Country Club, both have hosted previously. And I don’t think either needs to be tricked up, but it is the USGA. Stay tuned.

1. Open Championship
2. U.S. Open
3. PGA Championship
4. The Masters

I really just think they are lost in their identity. They talk about inclusion for all levels of play out of one side of their mouth, and then talk about making golf impossible at the highest stage out of the other side.

Not unlike the Open Championship, they need to accept that weather will play the biggest role on the results of their tournament, and to put their best foot forward in hopes that it works out... and that includes accepting that some locations, especially some older venues, are not viable for insanely fast greens.
They set up Erin Hills to get wind (it didn’t) and they caught hell when the AT&T broke out and -16 won...

The better idea was not to give an US Open to a course that needed windy conditions to defend it...

They set up Erin Hills to get wind (it didn’t) and they caught hell when the AT&T broke out and -16 won...

The better idea was not to give an US Open to a course that needed windy conditions to defend it...
Yeah, but that's what the Open does and it doesn't hurt them when rain/wind doesn't blast the players... they seem to do a much better job of accepting the results regardless of what they are.

I always rank them by what I enjoy watching the most and it's the Masters and the US Open hands down.

The Open Championship is a close third.

I think the whole US Open concept of "protecting par" is stupid and they've taken it to obsessive ends. Pick a good course, prep it to be a fair test, then let the players play and lowest score wins, whatever it is. I'd rather watch a birdie fest with guys throwing darts than watch a bunch of pros getting kicked in the nuts and made to look foolish over and over again for four days.

I applauded Phil out loud when he intentionally hit his moving putt on that ridiculous green at Shinnecock in 2018. He summed up what every player there was feeling, whether they'd admit it out loud or not.

While we are debating this, let’s watch Corey Pavin hit the shot of his life... 4 Wood into 18 at Shinnecock Hills (‘95 US Open).

Last edited:
I think the whole US Open concept of "protecting par" is stupid and they've taken it to obsessive ends. Pick a good course, prep it to be a fair test, then let the players play and lowest score wins, whatever it is. I'd rather watch a birdie fest with guys throwing darts than watch a bunch of pros getting kicked in the nuts and made to look foolish over and over again for four days.

I applauded Phil out loud when he intentionally hit his moving putt on that ridiculous green at Shinnecock in 2018. He summed up what every player there was feeling, whether they'd admit it out loud or not.
C4269F14-DCC6-4134-AB40-799D6A8A77C6.gif
I’m the total opposite, I want to see blood... And the person that survives it is worthy to be crowned our National Champion....

Puerto Rico Open, hands down the #2 tournament.

Nah. Just kidding. Gotta be the Open.

View attachment 9002884
I’m the total opposite, I want to see blood... And the person that survives it is worthy to be crowned our National Champion....

I love the us open. But I think with the crazy set up has become less about the ultimate test in golf to basically mini golf and seeing who can best putt the ball into the clowns mouth. The event it’s self eliminates half the field that have zero chance no matter how well they actually play.

I can’t decide between The Open and The Masters. The Open is what golf is all about. A historic championship played the way golf was meant to be all those years ago. Imagine picking up the claret jug and seeing names like Tom Morris (Snr & Jnr), Harry Vardon, James Braid, Walter Hagen, Bobby Jones......... that would just blow my mind to have my name alongside those. Then there’s The Masters. As Jim Nantz says, a tradition like no other. The US Open and PGA would be joint 3rd and 4th.

While we are debating this, let’s watch Corey Pavin hit the shot of his life... 4 Wood into 18 at Shinnecock Hills (‘95 US Open).

Cleveland vas for the win.. literally. Lol..

View attachment 9002884
I figure if I want to see a bunch of guys hacking the ball around, rolling putts clear off greens and stinking up the course, I can take a cooler and a lawn chair down to my local muni. :LOL:

The Open. 1a and 1b for me with the Masters. Love them both

I love the us open. But I think with the crazy set up has become less about the ultimate test in golf to basically mini golf and seeing who can best putt the ball into the clowns mouth. The event it’s self eliminates half the field that have zero chance no matter how well they actually play.

You can say that a poor weather draw eliminates half the field at The Open Championship many years too... I think we all can agree that they should bring back the golf lessons segments in the middle of major championships like this jewel at the 20:20 mark of the ‘73 US Open... lol

Who the hell is Johnny Miller?
It was more about the green reading lesson at the 20:20 mark, but you can stick through it and watch Johnny Miller shoot a 63 at Oakmont and come from 6 back to win the US Open too... :cool:

It was more about the green reading lesson at the 20:20 mark, but you can stick through it and watch Johnny Miller shoot a 63 at Oakmont and come from 6 back to win the US Open too... :cool:
I flagged the video for spam (or at least the spam that followed the 63)

Back