What is the Second Best Major?

I still call it the British Open... great tourney.

Maybe the new head of the USGA will right the ship and bring the US Open to #1 on the list.

The Open. Fun watching them battle the winds, and pot bunkers.

But even given some of the best courses in the US, the USGA has found a way to screw it up. What they did at Shinnecock is inexcusable.

You’re right, I can’t disagree. I know it wasn’t the “test” everyone wanted but I really enjoyed Erin hills. Mostly because I just really like that course.

Is this a sweep for The Open? Seems like it!

The answer is The United States Open, there is some recent bias caused by some poor decisions by the USGA with course selection (Chambers Bay & Erin Hills) in this thread.

When the US Open is at a traditional course (Oakmont, Shinnecock Hills, Winged Foot, or Pebble Beach) it is definitely the 2nd Best major...

But I’m one of those people that believe that 280 should win the US Open.

I'd agree here with a lot of people and say The Open. It's a shame they couldn't hold a tournament in 2020. Looking forward to this starting up again!

I consider The Masters 1A and The Open 1B. I flip those in years that The Open is held at St. Andrews.

The Open Championship. It has the history and tradition. Links golf is challenging and interesting. I like how the R&A allows the players to play the course as the conditions are whether that is wind, rain or sun baked courses.

I have lost some respect for the US Open because of the USGA protect par attitude. That has resulted in somewhat unreasonable course conditions.
The best American players didn’t always travel there to play... Ben Hogan went once, to Carnoustie in 1953, won... Never went back as an example.

Of course the R&A is going to allow the players to play the course, because the weather is the primary defense of the courses in the rotation...

The Masters is the second best major. Beautiful course and always a strong deserving winner. It's a weaker field but the winner always seems to earn it. I don't appreciate the self-fellating that usually occurs, but the golf is nice.

1) PGA usually a birdie fest with arguably the strongest field. Surprise winners are always fun.
2) The Masters
3) US Open - I don't enjoy watching blood baths as much since it's usually some gimmick like baked greens that gets used to kill the players.
4) The Open is my least favorite. Everything is grey and windy and wet and every course looks the same. There has to be some contemporary course that is worthy of the event.

Last edited:
The answer is The United States Open, there is some recent bias caused by some poor decisions by the USGA with course selection (Chambers Bay & Erin Hills) in this thread.

When the US Open is at a traditional course (Oakmont, Shinnecock Hills, Winged Foot, or Pebble Beach) it is definitely the 2nd Best major...

But I’m one of those people that believe that 280 should win the US Open.

Having played chambers bay. It was extremely poorly represented. It is a great course. Sure you there are more “Seattle” courses but chambers bay was just wrecked by the USGA. The. They tried to say the course was bad..

Agree with many...Masters is #1 and #2 depends on the Open and U.S. Open courses. In general the bagpipe music, crashing waves, and thrashing wind while we are battling heat waves over here make me put the Open a tick ahead of the US Open on average. Love the Ryder Cup as an event as well as some the Tour Championship (not the same fans as the Ryder Cup though). PGA is wholly dependent on course. Harding Park was neat but eh. Really excited for Kiawah. Loved the beauty and challenge of the Ocean Course.

Not close....”The Champion Golfer of the Year.........”

Having played chambers bay. It was extremely poorly represented. It is a great course. Sure you there are more “Seattle” courses but chambers bay was just wrecked by the USGA. The. They tried to say the course was bad..
No doubt it’s a great course, but should it have hosted an US Open? Maybe not.

I’m not defending the USGA, they lost Shinnecock twice when they shouldn’t have for example. I just think that the Rota should have come sooner. I think they are on the right track now.

I’m not defending the USGA, they lost Shinnecock twice when they shouldn’t have for example. I just think that the Rota should have come sooner. I think they are on the right track now.
I think if properly set up and not ruined. It can totally host a major. Will it ever again? Absolutely not.

but that leads to my point on the open. Do they ever do anything to trick those course up ? Not that I am really aware of. They say here is the course, here is the wind, play well boys!

It was a magical place. Very special.

As many others have stated The Open.

The PGA is definitively last, which is fine..
I think the US Open needs to validate its identity before it can challenge again.

That leaves the Open, which I think is fair. It's true to roots, forces golfers (at least ours) to think differently, and presents a wonderful challenge when the weather doesn't behave.

I think if properly set up and not ruined. It can totally host a major. Will it ever again? Absolutely not.

but that leads to my point on the open. Do they ever do anything to trick those course up ? Not that I am really aware of. They say here is the course, here is the wind, play well boys!
I think that my issue with The Open is that out off all of the majors it’s the only one that you can win being on the right side of the weather draw...

I think that my issue with The Open is that out off all of the majors it’s the only one that you can win being on the right side of the weather draw...

Or really good that week in the wind. Shame lowery and paddy Harrington come to mind and being extremely good that week at playing the wind.

but totally agree there is a huge advantage depending on the weather that day.

I feel like the US Open is the only Major that goes overly aggressive on the 'trickery' and it's backfired horribly more than it hasn't lately.

US open

I feel like the US Open is the only Major that goes overly aggressive on the 'trickery' and it's backfired horribly more than it hasn't lately.
How much longer do we need to suffer with Mike Davis?

This is a fair assessment...

Back