What is the secret to golf?

ThatGuy

US Navy Veteran
Reaction score
Handicap
Nope
Most people can throw, kick, catch, and/or shoot a ball (other sports) with little or no training. But a lot of people struggle to hit a golf ball with a golf club even with training.

If you could give one piece of advice to golfers what would it be? What is the secret to playing golf?

Start young and find a good teacher. Practice, practice, practice.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Do it your own way! There’s more than one path to success.

Keep your scores and get a handicap. With a handicap you can compete with everyone and have fun anytime you tee it up. You'll get better as you play and learn. This will make it fun. Learning the "right" swing is a misnomer. Pick a swing and stick with it. That will help your score more than anything else.

have fun...even when you're not having fun.

Beer!

Play your game. Learn from the hole back to the tee. The Putter is the most used club in EVERY golfers bag. The goal is lowest number of stokes in the hole. Style points mean nothing. Hybrids are awesome. Have fun!!

If your golf is no good, at least make your equipment look good. Play the part, look the part. Don’t go out there playin AND lookin like a hack!

Do it your own way! There’s more than one path to success.

I like that. I went the long drive, to overpowering a course, to long’ish in my journey. I’m about to enter “old guy” phase so I better get my damn short game in order or I’m screwed.

I hope you're a glutton for punishment.

Maybe not advice but truth!

Learn to laugh at yourself because you're probably not good enough to get upset.

Beer. Fun. Thats about it

Keep your scores and get a handicap. With a handicap you can compete with everyone and have fun anytime you tee it up. You'll get better as you play and learn. This will make it fun. Learning the "right" swing is a misnomer. Pick a swing and stick with it. That will help your score more than anything else.
I started playing golf 55 years ago. Never had a handicap and have never ever had a time when I needed one. I don’t see how having a handicap is a secret to golf. If there is a secret, it is that having the right clubs is NOT the secret to good golf. I played this year with old muscle back stiff shafts, cavity backed senior flex, and “jacked” lofted game improvement regular flex irons. I hit all of them well at times and hit all of them poorly at other times. The only way to be a consistently good golfer is to put in the time it takes to learn and implement a fundamentally sound, repeatable swing with a driver, irons, short game and putting. No golf club ever made can fix a bad swing.

This game is f'ing hard. You won't get out all the effort you put into it. But also, don't complain if you don't hit a shot very well that you don't practice.

The secret to golf is having the talent to control the golf ball. In other words being able to play golf shots without much conscious thought. This talent is learnt through practice, playing and converting weaknesses to strengths.

The secret is in the dirt, and it's up to each of us to dig it out for ourselves. Thus sayeth Ben Hogan.

The secret of golf is that there is no secret.

Just a little hard work, and talent.

Everyone that knows me knows that this is my favorite animated movie, couldn't pass up a chance to gif it

Like any sport, pay close attention to the fundamentals. Grip, posture, alignment, ball position, and tempo. All but tempo are pre-shot so that should free up you brain during the actual golf swing.

Reactions: mig
Back